Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
SCI Brush Country Chapter
Hunted
Kalahari; Limpopo, South Africa; Omay, Zimbabwe; Czech Republic; Mexico; Texas; New Mexico; Colorado
Just rec'd my last safari back from the tannery. This is just the norm and actually not too bad considering what all I have seen. I don't know what it is about baboons and monkeys, but those skinners can sure make a mess of the faces on these things. I don't think I've ever seen one that is not at least as shredded as this one. Missing eyelashes and eyelids :mad: The epidermis loss on buff and hyena are normal but all have to be "painted" to get a finished product. Not fun!

C1FCCFCA-F329-4A17-A40F-0C8C765B573B.jpeg
E608B200-A830-48FB-92C2-BFFE5E867B05.jpeg
B7C5CDB2-05A5-4021-86CB-03EA37988E95.jpeg
F0268962-1753-48F6-8D30-9CCEBAE18FD5.jpeg

Doesn't look good, but I'm no expert.

That skinning shed is rather important.

OUCH!

That brings back nightmares from my first shipment years ago. My buffalo and sable capes had lost if I had to guess 50% of their hair, not a huge deal on the buffalo but the sable was a different story. Thank goodness for paint, so you have to get relatively close to see the bare spots.
I don’t know if it was the tannery or just being in the heat and humidity of coastal Mozambique but all of my animals were skinned and preliminary fleshing done within an hour and final fleshing and salting within 6 hours of being shot.

Unprofessional and unacceptable. I hope the safari company that was involved is aware of this and doesn't let future clients go through the same fiasco.

Unprofessional and unacceptable. I hope the safari company that was involved is aware of this and doesn't let future clients go through the same fiasco.
In my case I did contact the safari company but being friends with several taxidermist here in the states I don’t really think it was their fault as I almost made a nuisance of myself around the skinning shed. My thoughts it was either the tannery or the dip and pack company.

Was this from D&Y?

Hold on guys. I think most are missing the point here. This is how a lot of Africa capes come back looking like. It’s not unusual in the least bit especially for species such as buffalo ( I don’t think any hair slipped on my cape that’s just how little hair a mature bull has). Other than the eyes, the baboon is ok and mountable. A PH once told me skinners don’t like baboons bc of certain superstitions but I’m not sure if that’s true or not. The epidermis loss on the hyena is also about par for the course and it will be fine after painting.

My apparently lost point was that your taxidermists is probably working miracles you didn’t even know about.

Point well taken but when a waterbuck comes back missing part of an ear and there is a 6 inch cut on a kudu throat like it was hallaud you have to wonder some times.
Looking to seeing the finished product. By the way my trackers and skinners in Mozambique didn’t want to deal with baboons or hyenas. They said “bad muta”.

After hunting in Namibia and receiving the skins in Canada for mounting, my Namibian PH happened to be in Canada as well at the time on the hunting show circuit. The plains game shoulder mount skins were fine but the warthogs shoulder mount skins were not as good. My taxidermist said he would work with them and they turned out fine but on good business practice my PH stated without being asked, that if they didn't he would replace the capes at his expense. Maybe I'm a bit particular.

Hold on guys. I think most are missing the point here. This is how a lot of Africa capes come back looking like. It’s not unusual in the least bit especially for species such as buffalo ( I don’t think any hair slipped on my cape that’s just how little hair a mature bull has). Other than the eyes, the baboon is ok and mountable. A PH once told me skinners don’t like baboons bc of certain superstitions but I’m not sure if that’s true or not. The epidermis loss on the hyena is also about par for the course and it will be fine after painting.

My apparently lost point was that your taxidermists is probably working miracles you didn’t even know about.

The point is not lost. It would be helped a lot in the skinning shed.

The point is not lost. It would be helped a lot in the skinning shed.
Agreed. My other capes are in great shape. I've handled probably 10 or so baboons mounts (not a lot but a decent sample) and 9 of the 10 were this bad or WORSE. I'm not sure what it is about baboons other than possibly the rumors about skinners not liking them for various reasons.

All predators are susceptible to epidermis loss as they possess high levels of bacteria on their hides as a result of eating rotten meat etc. As long as there is no hair loss, all that can be addressed albeit with more time and effort (ie more money).

If your African mounts come out good, Kiss your taxidermist :ROFLMAO: or at least don't complain about why African stuff costs more than NA stuff :cool:

If the issues are tied to higher levels of bacteria, it would stand to reason that there should be some anti-bacterial that one could apply to the skin to help cut down that issue wouldn't it? Or is that not possible or not effective for some reason I am not aware of?

I have heard of a liquid dipping vat some places use. I’m not sure exactly what’s in there but there are chemicals outlawed in the US. Just walking by probably increases your chances of cancer :oops:

You should get money back or be offered to shoot all of the animals again, at no charge, on a repeat visit.

You should get money back or be offered to shoot all of the animals again, at no charge, on a repeat visit.
That makes sense on the surface but you can’t really know exactly who is the blame . Like I’ve said earlier I almost make a nuisance by hanging around the skinning shed watching as well as learning. So I know how my skins are treated but after leaving the outfitters care you and they have very little control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg