Help with decisions on a rifle build

Good choice. The 35Whelen is better.
I have 1 35 Whelen and I'm building another one, but I can't say that it is better than the 338-06. My dad hunts with a 338-06, and there is no significant real world difference between the 2. I used to think the 338-06 might have an advantage in bullet selection, but I don't think that is even a big difference any more. Lots of good .358 bullets out there, and you only need 1 that shoots good for your rifle.

Caliber wise, the only real itch I have left to scratch is an 8x68. I have absolutely no need for it. I just want one.

The 338 is a good idea because you don't have one. And, you don't have a metric caliber, so the 8mm is good. Otherwise, I would suggest the 400 H&H as it has a lot of uses with 300gr TSX, or 350gr and 400gr A-Frames, it is unique and is a neat looking cartridge.
338 Ackley Improved? Almost the sans a belt 338 Win Mag

Why is this in handguns? Anyway my vote is for the 6.5-06, .280 Remington, or .338-06 A-Square.

For the ease of converting, I vote 338 Winchester. Plus, I am a big fan of the 338 Winchester.

I found a good deal on a Howa 1500, 300 Win Mag and decided to get it for a donor. Honestly it performs well and have even thought of using it for a foul weather rifle for hunting at home. In trying to decide on what I’d like to someday convert it to, here are a few of my thoughts in no certain order:
338 Win Mag
358 Norma
358 STA
8 mm Rem Mag
27 Nosler

I currently have the following rifle calibers:
6.5 Creedmoor
7mm-08
7mm rem mag
270 Win
300 Win mag
300 Weatherby
300 wsm
35 Whelen
375 Ruger
458 Lott

Now, knowing what I have, and being a little 30 caliber heavy, what niche am I missing, or are there others that I could build that I haven’t mentioned above? I’m not looking for anything in particular, I just like tinkering and building up my grandson’s inheritance. As always, I appreciate the advice on how to spend money!

338 Ackley Improved? Almost the sans a belt 338 Win Mag
.338WM AI? Just run the WM through the AI chambered rifle to fire form the AI case. But, then you'd have to buy the AI dies and it's a reloading only situation. Not sure how much you would gain over say the Hornady Superformance factory ammo or just handload the WM a little hotter. I have a .338WM and it has enough power in it's original form. Just my 2 centavos.

Simple, 375 H&H. :)

I have 1 35 Whelen and I'm building another one, but I can't say that it is better than the 338-06. My dad hunts with a 338-06, and there is no significant real world difference between the 2. I used to think the 338-06 might have an advantage in bullet selection, but I don't think that is even a big difference any more. Lots of good .358 bullets out there, and you only need 1 that shoots good for your rifle.

Caliber wise, the only real itch I have left to scratch is an 8x68. I have absolutely no need for it. I just want one.
@walk-in
Stoke the Whelen up properly and it leaves the 338 ought six in its wake.
A 250 grain Speer hotcore at 2,700fps out of the Whelen puts a lot of hurt on an animal
Bob

Of course you could just step up to the next level and build a 9.3x62... sorry Bob you’re making it too easy! LOL

Of course you could just step up to the next level and build a 9.3x62... sorry Bob you’re making it too easy! LOL
@WAB
I know mate but why have a 9.3x62 or a Whelen when you can have a lovely 375h&h.
Dang just get all 3 and be done and sort out what you need.
Bob

@walk-in
Stoke the Whelen up properly and it leaves the 338 ought six in its wake.
A 250 grain Speer hotcore at 2,700fps out of the Whelen puts a lot of hurt on an animal
Bob
I use 250 gr Kodiak bonded bullets in my current Whelen. There is no doubt that it packs a wallop, but there is nothing I hunt (including Alaskan grizzly & brown bears) that I wouldn't feel equally confident going after with either a 35 Whelen or 338-06. They're both perfectly capable, and my preference for the 35 Whelen is just that...a preference. If you handed me a 338-06 and said "Let's go hunting" I wouldn't think twice about it.

First off I don’t know how I put this in the handgun forum maybe Jerome could move it to small bore rifles.

So it’s been a while and I finally made a decision and will be shipping the action off next week. This will probably raise a few eyebrows but I ended up going in a total and opposite direction. In the next few months will have a new 264 Winchester Magnum built off of the Howa 1500 action with a Timney trigger, haven’t decided on a stock yet. I appreciate everyone’s input and advice.

First off I don’t know how I put this in the handgun forum maybe Jerome could move it to small bore rifles.

So it’s been a while and I finally made a decision and will be shipping the action off next week. This will probably raise a few eyebrows but I ended up going in a total and opposite direction. In the next few months will have a new 264 Winchester Magnum built off of the Howa 1500 action with a Timney trigger, haven’t decided on a stock yet. I appreciate everyone’s input and advice.
@TNTDave
Nothing wrong with the the original Hogue stock, comfortable and mitigate recoil.
Bob

what do you mean by "harmonic cartridge"?
bruce.
I’m taking that to mean “Balanced” or “Proportionate” in relation to powder capacity and bore or the opposite of “Overbore”
I’m thinking the .264wm might be overbore as opposed to harmonic.
Probably suitable for medium game

chris,
the more recent availability of slower powders might skew that definition.
when 4350 was the slowest powder readily available, and many guys relied on 4064, the 264 was definitely overbore.
it really needs 4831 as the fastest powder, and then ideally with lighter 100 to 120 gn bullets.
slower is better with 130 to 140 gn bullets.
the old 6.5 weatherby wright hoyer was used by some 1000 yd benchrest shooters and id the 300 wby necked down.
not wby has legitimized this, making the 264 win look a lot more harmonic.
bruce.

What barrel length will your rifle have?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smits

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg