Help me pick a BIG Bore Muzzleloader...

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders & Black Powder' started by EDELWEISS, Jul 6, 2016.

1. EDELWEISS

EDELWEISS AH Enthusiast

Hunted:
    US, Canada, Middle East(does that count)
    So Ive been thinking about a 4 Bore rifle. Its a need that's kinda burning inside me. I flip back and forth between 72/75 caliber factory gun and a 8 Bore and the 4 Bore. A 72 cal factory gun is much cheaper ($1500)than a custom build $8-10,000+++). Yes I know all have been used to hunt Dangerous Game; but theres something cool about a 4Bore.

Soooooo, assuming I do go the custom build route, I'm not even sure what special features I want (barrel length, stock options, wood grade, engraving, etc). My first thought is a pretty basic build with nice but not fancy wood, perhaps some minor scroll work and "Made especially for Edelweiss" on the barrel flat; but generally nothing super special. I'm thinking Id like it to be like one of the "originals", just a BIG working gun.

A BIG Bore muzzleloader is only just a tad more versatile than a 577 or 600NE. While I wouldn't take a Big NE on a Whitetail hunt, I might take the 4 Bore. Yeah a 72/75 is maybe more appropriate; but a 4 Bore is a 4 BORE....

What features should I consider......

Best

2. ChrisG

ChrisG BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada
    I would personally say that an 8 or 10 bore would be all the gun a person who was not hunting elephant of rhino would want. As to the 4 bore being more versatile... I can't really say I agree with that one. the four bour is throwing a 1,750 grain ball at between 1,350 and 1,500 fps with between 8 and 15 drams of powder (218 - 410 grains) of black powder. Recoil is ferocious even with the light load (about 1.5x a .600 load). With the heavy load, the recoil leaves even a 18 lb .600 nitro express in the dust. I believe it was Selous who stated that firing the 4 bore for so many years had given him an incurable flinch. The other issue you are going to have is that a typical 4 bore should weigh about 20lbs minimum to mitigate recoil as much as possible. Even so, with the smallest 8 dram load, you would be taking a shoulder tearing, retina detaching 180+ft.lbs of recoil with every shot. The rifling (if you opt to have it rifled as this increases recoil) relegates the use of any kind of bird/buckshot to a few yards.

You probably don't get to say this very often but... The .577 and .600 nitro are actually going to be MORE versatile that one of these. Plus, I don't think I want to lug a 22-24 lb rifle around with me looking for deer. but then, my deer hunting involves a lot of climbing to get to places where 90% of other hunters are too lazy to get to because they can't drive their 4 wheeler to the base of their stand.

So in the end, If you want a big bore muzzleloader, I would recommend an 8 or a 10 bore.

If you are dead set on a 4 bore, save your pennies to have it made and then cough up another $300 to have a mold made for it. Then start buying lead by the pallet and powder by the case to feed it. I don't think you can just buy 1.052" lead balls just anywhere and a pound of powder would be good for about 25 shots. You would need at least 4 lbs just to get proficient with it.

If however, you think an 8 or a 10 bore might suit you this guy:http://www.octobercountry.com/ will make one for a reasonable price (probably $3-5,000) the barrel alone on his 8 bore wighs 14 lbs.

Best of luck! If/when you do get your big bore, definitely post some pictures of it as well as you shooting it. There's nothing like rotten egg smell in the morning!

3. drhall762

drhall762 AH Member

I have a .72 DR and it is about all I can take with heavy loads. Playing with conicals in the 780 to 1050gr range when I get my molds. Hopefully next month.

4. EDELWEISS

EDELWEISS AH Enthusiast

Hunted:
    US, Canada, Middle East(does that count)
    I toyed with the idea of the Pedersoli 72 caliber double rifle; but I heard they aren't regulated for heavy loads??? Of the commercial guns, I think I'm more interested in the 72 cal Gibbs African rifle. Ultimately though I really want a 8 or a 4 bore. Ive been talking to the folks at October Country....

5. ChrisG

ChrisG BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada
    The pedersoli Gibbs hunting rifle is gorgeous! I wanted one but it will have to wait until after I go on safari. The only thing I would probably do to one is have a gunsmith cut the barrel back to 24". Then it would be perfect! I think you could do a lot worse than a rifled 12 bore muzzle loader like the Gibbs.

6. Buff

Buff New Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    LSBA
    Look hard at the October country rifles
    I have a .69 and it is my favorite rifle