Help me pick a BIG Bore Muzzleloader...

EDELWEISS

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US, Canada, Middle East(does that count)
So Ive been thinking about a 4 Bore rifle. Its a need that's kinda burning inside me. I flip back and forth between 72/75 caliber factory gun and a 8 Bore and the 4 Bore. A 72 cal factory gun is much cheaper ($1500)than a custom build $8-10,000+++). Yes I know all have been used to hunt Dangerous Game; but theres something cool about a 4Bore.

Soooooo, assuming I do go the custom build route, I'm not even sure what special features I want (barrel length, stock options, wood grade, engraving, etc). My first thought is a pretty basic build with nice but not fancy wood, perhaps some minor scroll work and "Made especially for Edelweiss" on the barrel flat; but generally nothing super special. I'm thinking Id like it to be like one of the "originals", just a BIG working gun.

A BIG Bore muzzleloader is only just a tad more versatile than a 577 or 600NE. While I wouldn't take a Big NE on a Whitetail hunt, I might take the 4 Bore. Yeah a 72/75 is maybe more appropriate; but a 4 Bore is a 4 BORE....

What features should I consider......

Best

I would personally say that an 8 or 10 bore would be all the gun a person who was not hunting elephant of rhino would want. As to the 4 bore being more versatile... I can't really say I agree with that one. the four bour is throwing a 1,750 grain ball at between 1,350 and 1,500 fps with between 8 and 15 drams of powder (218 - 410 grains) of black powder. Recoil is ferocious even with the light load (about 1.5x a .600 load). With the heavy load, the recoil leaves even a 18 lb .600 nitro express in the dust. I believe it was Selous who stated that firing the 4 bore for so many years had given him an incurable flinch. The other issue you are going to have is that a typical 4 bore should weigh about 20lbs minimum to mitigate recoil as much as possible. Even so, with the smallest 8 dram load, you would be taking a shoulder tearing, retina detaching 180+ft.lbs of recoil with every shot. The rifling (if you opt to have it rifled as this increases recoil) relegates the use of any kind of bird/buckshot to a few yards.

You probably don't get to say this very often but... The .577 and .600 nitro are actually going to be MORE versatile that one of these. Plus, I don't think I want to lug a 22-24 lb rifle around with me looking for deer. but then, my deer hunting involves a lot of climbing to get to places where 90% of other hunters are too lazy to get to because they can't drive their 4 wheeler to the base of their stand.

So in the end, If you want a big bore muzzleloader, I would recommend an 8 or a 10 bore.

If you are dead set on a 4 bore, save your pennies to have it made and then cough up another $300 to have a mold made for it. Then start buying lead by the pallet and powder by the case to feed it. I don't think you can just buy 1.052" lead balls just anywhere and a pound of powder would be good for about 25 shots. You would need at least 4 lbs just to get proficient with it.

If however, you think an 8 or a 10 bore might suit you this guy:http://www.octobercountry.com/ will make one for a reasonable price (probably $3-5,000) the barrel alone on his 8 bore wighs 14 lbs.

Best of luck! If/when you do get your big bore, definitely post some pictures of it as well as you shooting it. There's nothing like rotten egg smell in the morning!

I have a .72 DR and it is about all I can take with heavy loads. Playing with conicals in the 780 to 1050gr range when I get my molds. Hopefully next month.

I have a .72 DR and it is about all I can take with heavy loads. Playing with conicals in the 780 to 1050gr range when I get my molds. Hopefully next month.

I toyed with the idea of the Pedersoli 72 caliber double rifle; but I heard they aren't regulated for heavy loads??? Of the commercial guns, I think I'm more interested in the 72 cal Gibbs African rifle. Ultimately though I really want a 8 or a 4 bore. Ive been talking to the folks at October Country....

I toyed with the idea of the Pedersoli 72 caliber double rifle; but I heard they aren't regulated for heavy loads??? Of the commercial guns, I think I'm more interested in the 72 cal Gibbs African rifle. Ultimately though I really want a 8 or a 4 bore. Ive been talking to the folks at October Country....
The pedersoli Gibbs hunting rifle is gorgeous! I wanted one but it will have to wait until after I go on safari. The only thing I would probably do to one is have a gunsmith cut the barrel back to 24". Then it would be perfect! I think you could do a lot worse than a rifled 12 bore muzzle loader like the Gibbs.

Look hard at the October country rifles
I have a .69 and it is my favorite rifle

how about a 10 bore, made to take 10 Drams or so, and use a 3.5- 4oz bullet? lol That way, when you get tired of getting beat up by your gun, you can still use it to kill everything :ROFLMAO:. Those bore rifles are a slippery slope, you start out at 20, and say "eh, more's better right?" next thing you know, you're up to a 2 bore and getting spun around every time you shoot and have multiple concussions from too-long a range sessions lol! These are heavy guns, that's for sure!

The pedersoli Gibbs hunting rifle is gorgeous! I wanted one but it will have to wait until after I go on safari. The only thing I would probably do to one is have a gunsmith cut the barrel back to 24". Then it would be perfect! I think you could do a lot worse than a rifled 12 bore muzzle loader like the Gibbs.
The Pedersoli Gibbs African Hunter is a much under appreciated rifle!
I use round balls and conicals in mine and it very well could be one of the most enjoyable rifles I have.
The lack of a ram rod is a bit weird on a sporting rifle but that is because Pedersoli uses the very same stock for the African as it does for the Gibbs Match rifle.
I'd shy away from shortening the barrel but don't see an issue with it.
One modification that would be worthwhile is soldering on a rear sight on the barrel and perhaps a more period looking front sight. The rear peep sight works well for what it is but it is sort of a ghost ring. I decided to make a insert to reduce the aperture to be more like a peep sight.
It is quite accurate for me after doing this.

Seems your dilemma is a not to common, definitely not rare amongst muzzleloading fanatics.

Decide what you are going to hunt with a big bore muzzleloader the most.

Decide which you want first the more versatile smoothbore for shot and patch ball. Or a rifle bore for a bit more longer range accuracy.

Decide which to start with 60-75 cal/20-10 gauge for practicality to hunt with and follow up with a bigger 8-2 bore in a second gun as a novelty.

Should you become infected with muzzleloading you will discover a world much worse than the incurable Hunt Africa virus.

Good luck on your decisions.

Unless you want a really large bore as a novelty, a good quality rifled 54, 58/577 or 69 cal would be most practical. Slow twist rifle muskets are the most versatile being able to accurately shoot both round balls and hollow base Minies. Tricky part may be finding a good quality production or reproduction without having to spend big bucks for a custom.

examples of mine - originals- top to bottom M1861 58 cal, Plymouth 69 cal, Mississippi 54 cal. Minies for each 54, 58 and 69 cals

4322F265-F228-4124-8506-05C27030B532.jpeg
8960AE05-B503-42BC-85E1-61C2A0EE5F41.jpeg

Pedersoli has earned top of the line for reproduction firearms. The company reproduces a fine selection and quality period correct firearms for around half the cost of a custom firearm.

Traditions Firearms Company still produce various reasonably period correct sidelock firearms, that are relatively accurate, although in the 1960's through to around 2000 they were considered top of the line firearms, since then their overall aesthetic quality has fallen. For the price, Traditions Firearms are worth considering.

I haven't looked over their respective products in a while but I don't think neither company produces a firearm over an eight bore 79 caliber.

Even though I recommended a reasonable and practical approach to large muzzleloader calibers/bores, I understand the allure of the really big bore. I really enjoy shooting Brown Bess muskets. Fairly mild recoil and that unmistakable hollow whoooom sound :) They are designed to simply lob a round ball with modest BP charges. But... just reading Selous will pique the interest! Even with a 4 bore weighing 15-20 lbs, stoking it with 15 drams of BP under a 4oz roundball would certainly get any shooter's attention! But I fear in reality it would simply become a novelty and conversion piece. I remember checking in on another muzzleloader/BP shooters forum a few years ago and a similar thread developed about building a 4 bore. Sure as the sun rises in the east, someone piped up and posted, "yabutt I know so and so and he has a 2 bore!" As predictable as a coyote peeing on a clump of grass on the trail or a fox pooping on a rock, if you do get a true big one like a 4 bore, someone will come along and let you know it isn't the biggest. :)

Never have been able to afford or justify a decent, shootable and original Brown Bess so I settled on the original 69 cal M 1816 Harper's Ferry, shown below. It along with an original 69 cal M 1841 percussion smooth bore and an original 69 cal rifled Plymouth all offer plenty of enjoyable shooting.

69 caliber  M 1816 Harper's Ferry.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you