• Winchester M70 Safari Express - 375 H&H

Votes: 30 53.6%
  • Winchester M70 Safari Express - 416 REM

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • None of the above

Votes: 9 16.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would recommend the Winchester M70 or CZ 550 in .458WM.
Don't believe all the negative press about the .458, that's ancient history it's all you'll ever need for DG. A

I'm with Wheels on that one...no place to vote for the 404 or CZ for that matter. Of the calibres listed I would go with the venerable 375H&H. Exceptionally versatile calibre. However the rifle I would choose would be a CZ 550 or Zastava due to tried and true Mauser action. I like the idea of the big claw extractor when using DG rifles. Zastava has been making a concerted effort to make it's rifles more appealing over the last few years. I think the CZ will allow an extra round in the mag if I remember correctly. The Winchester M70n is a decent rifle but I just like the robustness of the CZ. Winchester availability could possibly be an issue for some. I ordered one in M70 Alaskan in 338 WM 18 months ago. I'm still waiting for it to grace our Canadian shores.

Winchester availability could possibly be an issue for some. I ordered one in M70 Alaskan in 338 WM 18 months ago. I'm still waiting for it to grace our Canadian shores.

Hmmm, I had to order my M70 in 416 Rem Mag but I think it took all of 4 or 5 days to have it in my hands. The 375 H&H versions are often on the shelf around hear... God bless the USA!

375 H&H..... However, one could argue based on what you to hunt, distances, etc.

375 H&H, would be my definite choice, especially if you were going to also use it on plains game. If purely for DG, 416 Rigby has to have the best penetration.

One thing I know already is that I need a new rifle since a buffalo is my main goal. But I still will need something suitable for a plains game hunt.

Brushmore to truly have the most flexibility, the 375 is THE obvious choice..... However with a two rifle case it is really no more hassle or expense to take two guns than one (to most places in Africa)... Granted opportunities come up that if you are taking it, you're taking it with the gun in your hands! I would much prefer shooting a buffalo with a 416 than a 375, but if a 375 is what I have in my hands, I'm going to take the shot... However if I'm buffalo hunting, I'll likely have something bigger in my hands.

The 375 is much more suitable for PG and for a true one gun safari, that is what most people would choose, myself included.

the .458 Winchester Mag is the same price and I am tempted to go all Dirty Harry here and go for the biggest gun I can get!

Brushmore here you confuse the issue. Your not going to get the ballistics out of a 458 Win Mag to be a decent PG choice. A 416 is a great bridge between the 375 and 458.... But again, the 375 is the better choice for PG and being at least legal for everything... I had a wide choice available for my lion hunt and the Outfitter actually suggested the 505, but chose my trusty M70 375 H&H because I'm so confident in it and was more concerned about shot placement than throwing a big chunk of lead.

The 458 is really only superior for buffalo and elephant, and that is debatable. If you simply go by ft pounds of energy as listed on Hornady factory ammo, the 416's, including the Rem Mag, Ruger and Rigby.. All produce more ft pounds of energy than the 458 Win Mag. Granted the 458 makes a bigger hole and hits with 100 grains more lead. And I do agree the animals don't read the books so the 458 "may" have some more effect not measured in the book.

If you really want the 458, go for it! But plan to take another gun for PG.

Agree with TMS and Bob, one gun safari, .375 H&H, buffalo specific hunt, 416 Rigby, Period!

No matter what new gun/caliber is developed in the future, .375 H&H and .416 Rigby spell AFRICA!

My PH was using a 458 Lott for everything so you could consider that!

9.3 x 62 anyone......hmmmm! Also an outstanding PG cartridge and can do DG in a pinch if needed. I also have 375H&H but would be torn between the 9.3 and 375.
If one is comfortable at shooting rifles/calibre's of their choice then that should be what one should go with as long as the calibre matches the game hunted.
I also think a 8x68, or 9.3 & 404 would spell AFRICA also.

Last edited:
No place to vote for the 404J!

images

Well if we're talking Jeffery's how about the little 500?

Attachments

• IMG_0005-1.jpg
    IMG_0005-1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 112
Last edited by a moderator:
brushmore I was in the same situation as you and ended up with the Model 70 in 375H&H.

Originally I put a deposit on the CZ 550 but I didn't have that new gun excited feeling... so went back and changed to the M70 And Im glad I did. The rifle is well made. The barrel is free floated and action beaded as standard. The action is also ALOT smoother than the CZ and i like the 3P safety on the M70. I preferred the slimmer lines of the winchester and also found the stock on the Model 70 suited me better.

cheers
TW

I bought a CZ 550 375 H&H for my first big bore. It's really nice. I also like the Win Model 70 375 H&H. If we were talking about the Ruger RSM, then I would be excited to buy one of these.

I bought a CZ 550 375 H&H for my first big bore. It's really nice. I also like the Win Model 70 375 H&H. If we were talking about the Ruger RSM, then I would be excited to buy one of these.

Agree, the new M70 is a great choice in 375 H&H

I voted for the .375H&H in the Winchester M70. I have one and I love it! It's a very well designed rifle albeit, not quite as inherently strong as a true magnum action. You definitely have to pay attention when handloading for it because O.A.L. of the round causes issues (Woodleigh's crimp groove on the PP is too far back and will not fit in the magazine well) but all-in-all, I wouldn't trade mine for anything. They are about as gorgeous and elegant as a factory bolt gun can get without buying a $14,000 rigby (If I could justify the cash I would have one! :) ) the cartridge is very well suited for Lion and Leopard and it will definitely kill a buffalo, hippo or elephant if you are a good shot, have good bullets and listen to the advise of those who are more experienced.

Find a BRNO 375 H&H with the ZKK602 action! Barrel band..............and a super reliable rifle............

I guess I am saying my vote for today, is CZ! With my experiences, one of the best value rifles in this class!

Winchester M70 Safari Express - 375 H&H

the caliber cartridges will have limited amo. Not a problem if you reload. I think Hornady is the only one making amo for them. The DGX ammo has mixed reviews on Buff. The .375 is tried and true. You can load it with 225 grains for plains game all the way to 350s for ele and buff. does not have much recoil. My 11 yo used mine on impala last year in Zim with loads I made for him. Great all around caliber. Mine is a Ruger M77 Safari. The triggers that come from the factory are about 6 pounds. If you buy a Ruger, I would recommend you have a good gunsmith put an after market trigger in it. It will dramatically improve your accuracy. Don't have someone do a "trigger job" by filing down the current mechanism. Switch it out. Will be worth every penny. Also which every rifle you buy, make sure it is a controlled feed, not a push feed rifle which can jam which can be deadly while hunting dangerous game

375 H&H, would be my definite choice, especially if you were going to also use it on plains game. If purely for DG, 416 Rigby has to have the best penetration.

Spot on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg