Hello

Welcome Vintageguy, Africa is ready and waiting for the return of all the hunters.

Hi Eric, welcome to AH !

Welcome to AH Eric! Glad to have you join the conversation.

I'm Eric from Virginia and currently I am trying to scratch that life long Africa itch and plan my first safari. Guess I've been stalking threads etc... here and have found a lot of good info. Thanks for that. I haven't posted anything because frankly I've been trolled so many times on other forums that I'm gunshy. So forgive me for the delay between signing up and posting.
Welcome to AH.

Welcome aboard Vintageguy. Did you pick that moniker because you've been around the block a time or two, or because you like old firearms, or both. Re "trolls" they don't last long around here. We get them from time to time, but they are short-lived. Please tell us a little more about yourself as a hunter. Things like what have you hunted in the past, what kind and caliber rifles do you own, do you reload. Stick around here, and we'll help you scratch that itch. Most likely sooner rather than later. You will find that knowledge and courtesy abounds amongst our members.
You're right, a little more info is appropriate. As far as the Vintageguy goes, it's more to do with interests but I'm 54 so it could apply to me too I guess. In the past as a young man I started out gun collecting by acquiring old interesting guns past being desirable as collector pieces but sound and restoring them, mostly side by side shotguns then later rifles too. I'm a big fan of damascus.
I'm a bird hunter as well as big game and most of my trips have been around the country chasing various birds. I also have a kennel of short hairs and Labs I raise, train and hunt with. I have hunted out west for big game but only antelope. Of course, there's the whitetails here that always get my attention. One unusual and fun thing I do is hunt spring turkey here in the mountains of Virginia from horseback. It's funny but the horse even figures it out and listens for a gobble when I call to locate a tom.
As far as rifles go, I'm a Winchester guy and love my 54's and Model 70's. My favorite caliber is 30-06 but wasn't always. It wasn't until discovering it's versatility that it hooked me. I have a pre 64 model 70 in 300 H&H just because it's cool and a model 70 in 375 H&H that if I only could have one rifle for all big game would be it. It's also the most accurate rifle I own, strangely enough. I enjoy loading for everything from blackpowder cartridges for damascus shotguns and rifles to modern rifle. Lastly, I'm a flintlock nut. Not the dress up as a red coat or Daniel Boone type, but I love using them for everything I hunt. I love the reenacting stuff but leave it to others.
As a kid I read Capstick, Ruark, Selous, and Carmichel. They planted the desire to see and hunt Africa in me. Now that I've got my son started in this world it's time to turn some dreams into memories of things done.

Welcome, Vintageguy - this place can definitely make your safari dreams come true. Ask away!

Welcome welcome welcome

Vintageguy, thanks for the very detailed intro. I too have a fondness for older firearms. My favorite is the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser. I own a couple of knives with Damascus blades but I've shied away from firearms similarly constructed. Hunting turkey from horseback sounds like a lot of fun. What got you started doing that?

You’ve come to the right place Vintageguy. We will enjoy learning from you and sharing our experiences.

Vintageguy, thanks for the very detailed intro. I too have a fondness for older firearms. My favorite is the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser. I own a couple of knives with Damascus blades but I've shied away from firearms similarly constructed. Hunting turkey from horseback sounds like a lot of fun. What got you started doing that?
I have a 6.5 Swede I'm pretty fond of too. Great round to shoot. The turkey hunting from horseback came about because of a particular place I liked to hunt was about a 3 mile walk to get in there before daylight so I figured I'd try a horse. Well, that really opened up how much ground I could cover in a morning. It also increased several fold how many birds I could locate once the horse figured it out. She'll listen too and I can watch her ears and tell if she's heard one. I've called, relocated 300 yards, called again doing this 3 times before I could hear the one she indicated she heard the first time. Friends get a kick out of it and I get lots of funny comments over it, but they can't hear them before her either.

Welcome to AH. Hope your planning and hunt are everything you hope for. I just booked air travel for my 3rd and it just keeps getting more and more exciting.

I'm Eric from Virginia and currently I am trying to scratch that life long Africa itch and plan my first safari. Guess I've been stalking threads etc... here and have found a lot of good info. Thanks for that. I haven't posted anything because frankly I've been trolled so many times on other forums that I'm gunshy. So forgive me for the delay between signing up and posting.
Welcome Eric. You've come to a place where there is a wealth of info and a lot of great folks. I was bit by the bug a number of years back and its been a grand adventure. My last trip was 2019 to Namibia. I brought my youngest daughter and she made her old dad rather proud.
There are a lot of fine destinations in Africa to hunt. My favorite is Namibia. If I can help out in your planning just drop me a line. Again welcome to the group.

Welcome aboard AH Eric! You will enjoy the forums.

Vintageguy, your success in hunting turkey from horseback and having the horse "hear" the bird before you is one of the most unique hunting methods I've encountered. Will the horse then move you closer to the bird on her own accord or is that still something you have to do?

Vintageguy, your success in hunting turkey from horseback and having the horse "hear" the bird before you is one of the most unique hunting methods I've encountered. Will the horse then move you closer to the bird on her own accord or is that still something you have to do?
No, I still do the steering but she most definitely indicates direction with eyes and ears focused on the source. I usually pause on ridge tops to call and for a few outings after the season closes she will stop on her own when we reach an ideal listening point, stand still several seconds and then bump my boot with her nose as if to ask “you gonna wake up and call or not”?

Welcome Eric

Great forum as you have seen. You mentioned planning a hunt to Africa? What is your planned targeted species and area you have in mind?

Enjoy the site and all the info it has to offer. And as far the planning go, if you decide to go with any one of the outfitters on here you are gaurenteed to have a great and memorable trip!!!!

Welcome Eric

Great forum as you have seen. You mentioned planning a hunt to Africa? What is your planned targeted species and area you have in mind?

Enjoy the site and all the info it has to offer. And as far the planning go, if you decide to go with any one of the outfitters on here you are gaurenteed to have a great and memorable trip!!!!
I really want to hunt Cape Buffalo and am looking at South Africa for my first trip. Still hoping for this year but it’s uncertain due to the Covid mess.

It would be a great start to your Africa Journey, there are many guys on here that can help you realize that dream. Also please let me know if you would be interested in hunting our area in the North West province South Africa

My best

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kurpfalzjäger

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber