Hello from the UK

Welcome to AH!
 
Welcome, Chris.....good to have you here. Regarding Moderators.......Well, there is an aesthetic aspect to a rifle or a bow. Never take an ugly girl to The Prom. Hunt safely, have fun, enjoy AH............FWB
 
Welcome on board from another UK hunter!
 
Welcome to AH Chris!
 
Hello from England

I have been deer stalking in the south of UK for the past 10 years, mainly Fallow, Roe and Muntjac.

I bought Dr Kevin Robertson's Perfect Shot 2 to understand more about shot placement and the full book, as opposed to the guide, goes into a fair bit of detail about the African animals themselves. (It is quite pricey at £60 but I would really recommend it.) This book has triggered an interest in African hunting and I join this forum to learn more.

I have fired an unmoderated .416 Rigby off sticks and it was not as bad as I thought it would be.

I am considering putting in a variation, as we call it in the UK, to see if I can get the police to approve me purchasing a .375 H&H. Robertson says the modern 350 grain bullets have taken this old calibre up a division.

I also understand that moderators are usable in South Africa and Namibia. Why don't more people use them for African hunting? I would have thought that they would help reducing all that a recoil. Just about everyone uses moderators in the UK, even down to 6mm. I even have one on my .22.

Anyway, that's me and I look forward to reading about and learning from your experiences.

Chris.

US-based hunters made up a big portion of the overseas trophy hunters in pre-COVID RSA and Namibia. Moderators (aka silencers) are highly restricted in the US. Depending on the state, they are either expensive and a hassle to acquire, or just flatly illegal. However, if you use a rifle provided by your PH, it is very likely to have a moderator.
 
@NewForester Welcome to AH from another brit. I have a 375 and a 416 Rigby double. I wouldn't moderate the 375 it adds far too much bulk and weight to the rifle IMO. I guys your down in the New Forest? If so Put the 375 in for wild boar and they should be ok with it.

PS Once your in the market for one let me know I might be persuaded to part with mine :Arghh:
 
Welcome to AH and the posting side Chris! Nice to have you part of our community and enjoy the forum.
 
Welcome to AH Chris! Glad you joined in.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,361
Messages
1,574,170
Members
169,914
Latest member
LavadaDnz
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top