Hello from the UK

Welcome to AH!

Welcome, Chris.....good to have you here. Regarding Moderators.......Well, there is an aesthetic aspect to a rifle or a bow. Never take an ugly girl to The Prom. Hunt safely, have fun, enjoy AH............FWB

Welcome on board from another UK hunter!

Welcome to AH Chris!

Hello from England

I have been deer stalking in the south of UK for the past 10 years, mainly Fallow, Roe and Muntjac.

I bought Dr Kevin Robertson's Perfect Shot 2 to understand more about shot placement and the full book, as opposed to the guide, goes into a fair bit of detail about the African animals themselves. (It is quite pricey at £60 but I would really recommend it.) This book has triggered an interest in African hunting and I join this forum to learn more.

I have fired an unmoderated .416 Rigby off sticks and it was not as bad as I thought it would be.

I am considering putting in a variation, as we call it in the UK, to see if I can get the police to approve me purchasing a .375 H&H. Robertson says the modern 350 grain bullets have taken this old calibre up a division.

I also understand that moderators are usable in South Africa and Namibia. Why don't more people use them for African hunting? I would have thought that they would help reducing all that a recoil. Just about everyone uses moderators in the UK, even down to 6mm. I even have one on my .22.

Anyway, that's me and I look forward to reading about and learning from your experiences.

Chris.

US-based hunters made up a big portion of the overseas trophy hunters in pre-COVID RSA and Namibia. Moderators (aka silencers) are highly restricted in the US. Depending on the state, they are either expensive and a hassle to acquire, or just flatly illegal. However, if you use a rifle provided by your PH, it is very likely to have a moderator.

@NewForester Welcome to AH from another brit. I have a 375 and a 416 Rigby double. I wouldn't moderate the 375 it adds far too much bulk and weight to the rifle IMO. I guys your down in the New Forest? If so Put the 375 in for wild boar and they should be ok with it.

PS Once your in the market for one let me know I might be persuaded to part with mine :Arghh:

Welcome to AH and the posting side Chris! Nice to have you part of our community and enjoy the forum.

Welcome to AH Chris! Glad you joined in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg