Hello from Montana

MontanaGrant

Silver supporter
AH senior member
Reaction score
Hello.

After lurking for years I finally decided to open an account here. I do not think I can contribute much however I may as well participate where I can.

Time and money will likely never allow me to visit africa, but I have accumulated tons of books, and being a bona-fide gun nut, I am going to vent my passion on african weaponry. I joined as the quality of rifles for sale on here are much superior to elsewhere, and as I am now in the market for a Double Rifle or .416 Rigby/.404 Jeffery/.505 Gibbs I believed I should join y'all.

I do plan on participating in the classifieds on here, and I want to say up front: All participation will be strictly my own personal interest. I mention it as I own a firearms shop and customized fitting shop here in Montana and don't want someone finding out later and thinking it's for business. Everything around here locally is .30-30 leverguns or modern synthetic hunting rifles.

I need to be online to find like-minded people in my personal interests. Although I appreciate all types of hunting, the classic Sportsman era of the 1950's/70's very much appeals to me, in both gear, guns and the spirit of hunting. I try to do that here in Montana as well as I can.

Hope I can add some input if anyone has any questions about Montana, primarily the hi plains/border area. See all of you around!

:S Welcome:

Hello.

After lurking for years I finally decided to open an account here. I do not think I can contribute much however I may as well participate where I can.

Time and money will likely never allow me to visit africa, but I have accumulated tons of books, and being a bona-fide gun nut, I am going to vent my passion on african weaponry. I joined as the quality of rifles for sale on here are much superior to elsewhere, and as I am now in the market for a Double Rifle or .416 Rigby/.404 Jeffery/.505 Gibbs I believed I should join y'all.

I do plan on participating in the classifieds on here, and I want to say up front: All participation will be strictly my own personal interest. I mention it as I own a firearms shop and customized fitting shop here in Montana and don't want someone finding out later and thinking it's for business. Everything around here locally is .30-30 leverguns or modern synthetic hunting rifles.

I need to be online to find like-minded people in my personal interests. Although I appreciate all types of hunting, the classic Sportsman era of the 1950's/70's very much appeals to me, in both gear, guns and the spirit of hunting. I try to do that here in Montana as well as I can.

Hope I can add some input if anyone has any questions about Montana, primarily the hi plains/border area. See all of you around!
Hello from Sidney MT

Welcome aboard from Alder.

Welcome to AH MontanaGrant!

Welcome welcome welcome

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to you! You live in a beautiful state!

Good day! Welcome to AH!!

Welcome to AH!

Hello MontanaGrant,

Khomas Highland Huntijg Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

When you can spare a minute, have a peep into the Khomas Safaris website.

Meanwhile, exactly like yourself, I am interested in the classic firearms, especially double barreled ones, rifles and shotguns alike.
Mausers and certain single shots also hold my interest.
Further more, “If God had meant for us to have plastic rifle stocks, he would’ve made trees out of that kak”.:ROFLMAO:

Also, I once had stockpiled a respectable inventory of firearms, something over 130 of them.
Then, in my early 50’s, I finally caved in to temptation and went to Africa for the first time.
It was a real eye opener.
Upon returning home to the USA, I began selling off my collection, to help pay for my 2nd trip to Africa.
I also sold my boat and all things non-essential, for the same reason.

Today, I only have a few important firearms, I live in an old house (built in 1977) and I never buy a new automobile.
I have no “power-tech toys” (boat, airplane, snowmobile, 4-wheeler, 3-D Printer, hugeass screen TV, etc., etc).
Been to Africa 6 times now and booked for my 7th one.

I choose to croak with many fond memories, as opposed to many earthly toys.
Just sayin’ here and your results may vary.

Anyway, thanks for joining.
Cheers for now,

Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Welcome Grant from a fellow Montanan in Ennis

Welcome to AH!, and hello from Libby

Hello.

Yellow @MontanaGrant fron rural Idaho! We are more or less neighbors . I love Montana. What a beautiful place to live. Of course, I love our part of Idaho as well. Please don’t rule out visiting Africa. My husband and I talked about it for years but after losing my brother to cancer, we realized we had to make it happen…and we did. It was the best thing we ever did except now we are addicted to it and long for it endlessly. With that said, keep in mind there are some really reasonable ways to hunt and experience Africa. Heck you can hunt in some parts for what a guided elk or mule deer hunt would cost. Anyway, I just don’t want you to rule it out but I’m glad you are experiencing it in books! There are some really great ones for that. I just finished Listening to West with the night by Beryl Markhan. It was a great book and even though it is about her flying in Africa, there are great hunting stories in the book that left me spellbound. She hunted by spear as a kid and was friends with Blixen and Dennis Hatton etc. Anyway, I highly recommend it if you haven’t read that one. Happy adventures and happy reading. Sue

Welcome aboard Grant!
I have fond memories in your Country, as I did my first Elk hunting in the upper corner, Kootenay area, many years ago.
You're lucky to live and hunt in such a bautyful place!
And you'll find here a AH a great place to share, learn, and find friends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rocky12K91

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double