Hello from Idaho

Hello and welcome from a neighbor in Oregon.

Howdy neighbor :)

Welcome Dan!

Thank you sir!

Thank you all for the warm welcome. And thank you James for the heads up on the rifle/travel issue to Zim from SA. I will bring the subject up with Jean-Louis and make sure we get it worked out. Worst case scenario I may just have to borrow a rifle from him rather than take my own to SA.
However ;-)
The little hunting devil sitting on my shoulder whispering in my ear is saying the same thing you guys have said :sneaky: I knew joining this forum was going to have a negative effect on my bank account :eek:
If I can make it happen financially I hope to add either a tuskless elephant or a Buff cow in Zim. That would be the sensible answer to the dilemma, right?

Welcome IdaRam,

Been away from my computer for awhile and so this welcome to you is perhaps a bit late.

Any whoo, I love Idaho.

The only Rocket Scientist in my family (94 year old uncle) lives near Boise, and likewise I have hunted the middle fork of The Salmon River on horseback.

It is one of my fondest hunting memories.

According to what I have read, sometimes caribou migrate down from Canada and into Idaho.

On that subject, Theodore Roosevelt once bagged one in Northern Idaho (caribou had fed my family for almost 20 years during the 1980s & 90s).

Be all that as it may, I like your idea of weaving in a tusk less elephant or a cow buffalo.

I too am a working man and therefore cannot afford a 100 pound tusker.

If I ever get my ducks in a row to hunt elephant, it will have to be tusk less.

Also, if I ever hunt another buffalo, very likely it will be a cow next time, due to the price.

A lot of folks make a lot of fuss about tape measures and record books but such is evidently for people with more $ than anyone I know.

Stay on that front sight,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Hey Velo Dog! Thanks for the welcome wish.
The Middle Fork of the Salmon sure is some spectacular country and hunting it on horse back is definitely the way to go. It is some big, steep, deep and rugged country! I shot the sheep in my avatar last year in Unit 26 which is the Big Creek drainage - tributary to the middle fork. He was 11 1/2 years old so probably due to be removed from the gene pool :D
To get him I had to climb, slide and fall down 2500 feet of canyon, cross a river and climb back up 1500 feet of rock and cliff to get the shot. Then it was back the same way with him on our backs for a total of 8000 vertical feet in one day. Toughest hunt/pack I've ever had and I wouldn't trade a second of it :)
To your point about caribou, yes there is a very small population of woodland caribou hanging on by a thread in the selkirk mountains of northern Idaho and souther B.C. A lot of effort and resources are going into preserving them but it seems to be a losing battle. Last I heard they were holding at a couple dozen animals.
On a more positive note, the grizzlies in the selkirks are doing really well! Their numbers continue to increase every year. I bumped into one twice 2 years ago when I had a moose tag for that area. My buddy that I am going to Africa with next year drew that moose tag this year so we will be hunting that area for a few weeks this fall.
With ya on the $ for buff and ele. Going to be cow or tuskless for me for the foreseeable future. If I'm lucky :)
Great chatting back and forth with you!
Have a good one
Dan

Hey Velo Dog! Thanks for the welcome wish.
The Middle Fork of the Salmon sure is some spectacular country and hunting it on horse back is definitely the way to go. It is some big, steep, deep and rugged country! I shot the sheep in my avatar last year in Unit 26 which is the Big Creek drainage - tributary to the middle fork. He was 11 1/2 years old so probably due to be removed from the gene pool :D
To get him I had to climb, slide and fall down 2500 feet of canyon, cross a river and climb back up 1500 feet of rock and cliff to get the shot. Then it was back the same way with him on our backs for a total of 8000 vertical feet in one day. Toughest hunt/pack I've ever had and I wouldn't trade a second of it :)
To your point about caribou, yes there is a very small population of woodland caribou hanging on by a thread in the selkirk mountains of northern Idaho and souther B.C. A lot of effort and resources are going into preserving them but it seems to be a losing battle. Last I heard they were holding at a couple dozen animals.
On a more positive note, the grizzlies in the selkirks are doing really well! Their numbers continue to increase every year. I bumped into one twice 2 years ago when I had a moose tag for that area. My buddy that I am going to Africa with next year drew that moose tag this year so we will be hunting that area for a few weeks this fall.
With ya on the $ for buff and ele. Going to be cow or tuskless for me for the foreseeable future. If I'm lucky :)
Great chatting back and forth with you!
Have a good one
Dan

Dan,

Very excellent ram you have there.
The best part of any "hunting trophy" for me is the memory and the story of how I was able to sack it.
Your story is about as trying and rewarding as most any that I can think of.
Someone said (might have been T. Roosevelt) that: "Adventure is defined as travel with difficulty and danger".

When I hunted mule deer & elk in that area, I was able to sneak to within about 50 to 75 yards of a band of sheep and take some photos from above, laying on my belly, looking down a cliff to the ledge they were grazing on directly below me.
There was one young adult ram but his horns had a way to go to even approach the one you have in your avatar here.
There were also ewes and lambs, plus a bonus chukar who was standing guard on a nearby rock, as their feathered early warning system apparently.

Sorry to hear about the Selkirk caribou.
Here in Alaska, caribou numbers are way down as well - actually all prey species are way down lately in my home state and predator numbers are way up.
My wife and I dined on pounded, marinated and grilled black bear flank steaks on Sunday afternoon though.
When all you can find are lemons ... make some lemonade.

Best Regards,
Paul.

Thank you Marius! I most definitely have been enjoying time spent here. Especially the outstanding hunt reports and pics that have been posted up lately! Makes you appreciate how fortunate we are.

Welcome IdaRam.

Thank you Cody and CAustin!

Welcome Dan!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross