Hello from Houston

Well, there you go again! LOL! Lots of good makers of .375 bolt guns. Have to decide what style you prefer and how important some features are such as controlled round feed vs. push feed etc. Most going for DG prefer the Mauser 98 system for reliabilty but others work fine too. Do the research and buy what suits you and fits your budget. Should be able to get something good for well under 2k easy enough.

Hello folks - after many months of searching and researching and considering $$ I think a conventional bolt action .375 is for me. I have several bolt action rifles and all shoot fine. But, considering I will be hunting not only plains game but dangerous game with this I'm considering have a custom rifle built. Not sure it's worth the extra money and if it's real vaule for dollar. I know there are a lot of quality rifles off the shelf with minor adjustments like a muzzlebreak and a trigger job can make a world of difference.

So what do you think?

Is a custom rifle worth the extra money? Any advise on who makes a quality .375?
IF not, Any advise on a factor rifle?

no brainer CZ550

Plus 10 on the CZ rifle! One thing though per your post. Forget about the muzzle break unless its removable for hunting. OK for the bench, no good hunting. PH's and trackers hate them. Just too loud!! I hate them too and when guys bring them to the range I cringe every time they pull the trigger. Having said that some bruisers need them for the bench. A .375 does not.

Welcome to AH GAM, from another Houstonian ( well Hempstead ). All good advice from knowledgeable fellows. Budget will dictate what you get. You can't go wrong with either the CZ 550 as Bob said. Another choice is the Ruger 77 Safari. These are both great rifles and you can get both set up with good optics and stay under $2000. If your budget is flexible, look at Dakota Arms. Beautiful rifles and most are tack drivers. If the double itch still needs to be scratched, think about moving up to the .470NE, .450NE, or .500NE.

GAM,

You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you also don't take a look at the new M70 Safari Express. I own both a CZ and a M70, though the CZ is in .416 Rigby. They both have their upsides and downsides. Give both a try and go with the one you like best.

I say the Ruger. No reason other than I love Ruger firearms. If you want to be different go with a .375 Ruger. If you are looking for a classic, go with the mdl 77. Another thought is to touch and feel all sorts of .375's. Ruger, win, CZ. Go with what feels best. They are all great guns.

Have fun!!

You can take any of the factory rifles and have it tweaked to suit you. I've seen some beautiful semi-customised factory rifles in my time. Bear in mind though, the CZ 550 is the most widely used working rifle in Africa and, should anything go ass up with a CZ during a hunt, spares are quite readily available. It's rare, but I've seen it happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JannEarle

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois