AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC life member , NRA life member, SCI
Hunted
USA, Alaska, Canada, and South Africa
Hello from Connecticut USA. I have been following this site for a while, lots of great info; I finally decided to create an account. I am and avid hunter (both bow and rifle), reloader, shooter, and fly fishing (the bamboo rod bug has bit me hard). I enjoy being outdoors hunting, fishing, or just spending time in the woods. I have never been to Africa but as a hunter it is definitely on my bucket list this site and the folks on it are is a wealth of knowledge.

Hello and welcome!

Hello from Connecticut USA. I have been following this site for a while, lots of great info; I finally decided to create an account. I am and avid hunter (both bow and rifle), reloader, shooter, and fly fishing (the bamboo rod bug has bit me hard). I enjoy being outdoors hunting, fishing, or just spending time in the woods. I have never been to Africa but as a hunter it is definitely on my bucket list this site and the folks on it are is a wealth of knowledge.
Welcome to AH Kevin. I'm from New Hampshire not to far away from you. I have been to Africa a few times please feel free to reach out to me anytime with questions. I will recommend great outfitters and tell you about some not so great! Have a great afternoon!

Welcome aboard Kevin. since you've been lurking for a while you know that we'll do our best to have you going on your first African hunt sooner rather than later. What species do you hunt already? what kind and caliber firearms do you own?

I manly hunt whitetail deer, turkey, and goose these days. There isn’t much other “big Game” in Connecticut, and Due to my work/life schedule it’s had to find time to get away. When I was a kid my uncle lived in Anchorage Ak so I got the opportunity to hunt Moose, elk, and caribou as well as fish the salmon runs. I was appreciative for it but my 16 year old brain couldn’t comprehend how great opportunity that was, as a 40 year old I now can… With him living in Alaska it basically only cost me a round trip plane ticket, he picked me up at the airport, I got to use his rifles, and because he was a resident I didn’t need to pay for a guide. I currently have a 300 WIN mag and a 375 H&H that don’t get much use. Connecticut is shotgun only on state lands and finding private lands to hunt in such a populated state is tough. Most of my hunting is done with archery gear.

Welcome aboard Kevin. since you've been lurking for a while you know that we'll do our best to have you going on your first African hunt sooner rather than later. What species do you hunt already? what kind and caliber firearms do you own?
I manly hunt whitetail deer, turkey, and goose these days. There isn’t much other “big Game” in Connecticut, and Due to my work/life schedule it’s had to find time to get away. When I was a kid my uncle lived in Anchorage Ak so I got the opportunity to hunt Moose, elk, and caribou as well as fish the salmon runs. I was appreciative for it but my 16 year old brain couldn’t comprehend how great opportunity that was, as a 40 year old I now can… With him living in Alaska it basically only cost me a round trip plane ticket, he picked me up at the airport, I got to use his rifles, and because he was a resident I didn’t need to pay for a guide. I currently have a 300 WIN mag and a 375 H&H that don’t get much use. Connecticut is shotgun only on state lands and finding private lands to hunt in such a populated state is tough. Most of my hunting is done with archery gear.

Welcome to AH sir

Kevin, welcome to the AH forum! If you spend time here, sooner or later you will have to have your own Africa adventure! Enjoy!

Kevin, you will be happy to hear that you have all the firepower you need to hunt Africa. Has anyone talked to you about shooting sticks? They are expected to be used by most if not all PH(s.) Those things were "new" to me, and take quite a bit of getting used to. Just to get your blood flowing buy a copy of The Perfect Shot Mini Edition II Africa. African animals are built a little different from ours. BTW it is possible to combine both an archery and a rifle hunt.

Kevin, you will be happy to hear that you have all the firepower you need to hunt Africa. Has anyone talked to you about shooting sticks? They are expected to be used by most if not all PH(s.) Those things were "new" to me, and take quite a bit of getting used to. Just to get your blood flowing buy a copy of The Perfect Shot Mini Edition II Africa. African animals are built a little different from ours. BTW it is possible to combine both an archery and a rifle hunt.

HAHA Just yesterday I ordered Perfect Shot Mini Edition II Africa. I am aware of shooting sticks I need to order some so I can start practicing with them.

HAHA Just yesterday I ordered Perfect Shot Mini Edition II Africa. I am aware of shooting sticks I need to order some so I can start practicing with them.

Welcome, Kevin. This site is a wealth of knowledge and packed with friendly, willing to help individuals.

Welcome to AH. You will enjoy it. Lots of experienced hunters on this site.
Krish

Hi Kevin. Welcome. I am sure that you will enjoy getting to know, as much as possible through their posts, the men and women who are members. There is a wealth of information here and I have benefited greatly by reading on this site. A warning. Go to Africa soon! Otherwise, you are just delaying the best years of your life. I hunt deer, moose, elk, bear, birds and small game. I am in Windsor CT, am 75, only started visiting Africa 4 years ago, and, except for 2020, went every year since. Going for Cape Buffalo and PG this year and hope to go every year for as long as I can walk.

Welcome to AH Kevin. As you’ve already found out, there are a lot of people on this site to help your African dream come true.
It sounds like you already have the rifles to start your Africa hunting career. As you’ve been lurking for a while, you know this site will cost you some serious $$$$ for more rifles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg