Hello from Alaska!

Thanks everyone ! I am from Fairbanks, and yes I will be hunting the Caprivi region.

I am newly registered here, but a long time lurker. I decided to join to be able to engage in conversations, I have been impressed by the knowledge on this site. I live in Alaska and have successfully hunted nearly all the big game species here, and am planning on a trip to Namibia in October 2024 for Cape Buffalo, my first African hunt. I also enjoy hunting with flintlocks, hence my handle. Thanks for having me !!
Welcome to the AH posting side

Greetings from Palmer! I was a lurker for many years also, before eventually having my own report to post. There's a LOT of reliable first-hand information here, unlike the limited experience and speculative imaginations found in most forums where guns and hunting are discussed.

Are you taking your own rifle to Namibia? What else is on your trophy list? I was surprised to learn that cheetah hunting is available there, and at a very reasonable price, although U.S. importation of trophies is currently prohibited. It remains on my bucket list... (The top spot on that list is a Brooks Range Dall sheep hunt, and I've taken the first step towards realizing that dream by joining a gym this year!)

Most people overseas have never met anyone from Alaska, so introductions are often kind of funny. You could say you were from Mars and get pretty much the same reaction - they've heard of such a thing, but didn't think it was real. Of course Africans are intrigued by the idea of our winters; just remember that -40 Celsius and -40 Fahrenheit are equivalent (although still incomprehensible to someone who's never experienced freezing temperatures).

You may have been forewarned about getting bitten by the safari bug, since I've never seen anyone categorize their first experience as their "one and only African hunt". By the end of your return flight you'll be feeling homesick for a place you barely explored, and you'll immediately start thinking about going back. It's an expensive affliction you'll pick up in Africa for which there's no innoculation, and I'm sure we're all probably thinking that's just as well.

Best of luck! Looking forward to reading your story!

Welcome from WA state! Fairbanks is one of the few places in AK I havent been to!

Welcome, looking forward to your Buffalo Hunt report. In the meantime, would love to hear some stories of your Alaskan adventures. Dream place for me to live one day. Also hoping for good news in February when your states draw results post

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to the forum, you are in the right place!

Thanks everyone ! GreenT I am planning on taking my own rifle to Namibia, a 98 Mauser actioned .375. Best wishes on your sheep hunt goals ! I have taken two rams in the Brooks Range, one in 2010, and one in 2018. I also helped a buddy get his ram in the Brooks in 2016. Sheep numbers have declined a bit (or a lot depending on who you talk to) in most areas of the state it seems, I am hoping that turns around soon. I am mainly going after buffalo in Namibia, but will most likely take a plains animal or two if the opportunity presents itself. I have dreamed of hunting buff since I was a kid. Mtn_Infantry, I will post a few of my Alaska hunts in the near future. I got a Kodiak bear last month, still getting stuff put way from that hunt.

I'd like to hear about your experience with bringing a rifle into Namibia, whether it was fairly convenient or a major hassle.
Ask the folks you meet there what their own dream hunt would be. Almost everyone I questioned while in the sportsman's paradise of Africa immediately answered "Alaska brown bear". They dream about bears the way we dream about buffalo. (I'm trying to leverage that into hosting an outfitter/PH here in exchange for daily fees there, but haven't had any takers yet.)

Welcome roklok, I envy you native Alaskan residents. All that variety without a guide. I have been hunting in Alaska 8 times. Of course for the sheep and grizzly I had to have a guide. Moose, caribou and black bear I have hunted with friends. Been on the haul road bow hunting and always made it to Deadhorse.

I've been to Africa, Zimbabwe and my main animal was the Cape Buffalo. I ended up with the buffalo and an Impala. Outfitter had me pass on a couple Kudu's that weren't big enough. Take it all in and enjoy it all from the time you step on the plane.

I am newly registered here, but a long time lurker. I decided to join to be able to engage in conversations, I have been impressed by the knowledge on this site. I live in Alaska and have successfully hunted nearly all the big game species here, and am planning on a trip to Namibia in October 2024 for Cape Buffalo, my first African hunt. I also enjoy hunting with flintlocks, hence my handle. Thanks for having me !!
Welcome to AH from rural Idaho. My husband and I met in Anchorage at the AK Corral! Do you remember that place? We both worked for Era Aviation if you remember that airline. Anyway, we now live in Idaho. Two years ago we went to Namibia and Rick hunted buffalo on Waterbury Plateau. It was quite the experience for sure. Very intense and exciting to say the least. Anyway, you are going to LOVE it. Happy Adventures. Sue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KimProbst1

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.