Hello - and Thank You

Do you have stories of early hunting pre1960? I am interested in the weapons used. I have a 1960 .410 muzzleloader from the region - a total mystery?

Welcome to AH!

Giday Danriver and welcome to the AH forums

Welcome to AH !

Danriver, welcome to the AH forum!

My Dad gave me a shotgun from Africa (1960) said to be an example of the allowed weapon, used by local hunters. Not a deadly rifled caliber, capable of no more than bird shot. It is a .410 muzzleloader percussion cap shotgun, beautifully carved in relief of African animals on it’s stock.

I have started up the google machine - to no satisfaction. The result from my many search engine investigations, are always offering Safari related inquiry. I am hope to know the culture of these people under German Imperialism. And, how this gun fits the life of local hunters. Not white men

If you can send me in the right direction, or willing to write back, I would love hearing from you.

I am isolated in Cedar Michigan
with an endless curiosity, hoping to know more about our world.

Thank You,
Dan

Welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard.

There is ample literature covering exactly what you are looking for, actually an even wider range, going from the last 1850's to today. Too many titles to cover here, but I would recommend Amazon and eBay, searching for "Africa Hunting books" and "Africa Safari books". Another good place is Safari Press.

Some out of print classics can be frighteningly expensive ($1,000+) but you will also be amazed at the number of classic reprints and modern books in the $30 range.

In terms of authors and iconic titles, you can start with W.D.M. Bell (Wandering of an Elephant Hunter) to get a sense of 1900's safaris; with J. Hunter (Hunter) and with R. Ruark (Horn of the Hunter) to get a sense of 1950's safaris from a client's and a professional hunter's perspective; and the list goes on...

A great collection, if the history of hunting is what interests you most, is the Peter Capstick collection. For example, there is this on eBay right now. I would highly recommend these books...

1613351406834.png

Enjoy, and welcome to the club. Fair warning: this is addictive :)

Welcome to AH!

Hoping to read the history of local African hunting

Hello Danriver,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Welcome to AH

Welcome to AH!Hope you enjoy all the interesting discussions.

Welcome to AH and the posting side!

Let us know if you need any assistance with the rifle import permits, email henry@riflepermits.com.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH Danriver!

BC09CE17-B8B9-4265-944D-056D28E3DAF0.jpeg

Dad said: he ordered the Musket from one of these ads, (1957) published in “Gun Magazine”. I am getting closer to know the musket’s origins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinfredFin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!