Headed to Scotland Fall 2023

Aaron.F

Silver supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
My wife and I are planning our first trip to Scotland this coming fall(2023). We are planning on trying to take in all the sights and sounds of Scotland, to also possibly include a couple days of hunting. I am not interested in an expensive trip for major trophies, just a chance at a representative mature animal or two. I am leaning toward roe buck and/or sika, possibly a fallow deer. I beleive that red stag is most likely out of my price range. If you have any advice, recommendations or availability please let me know. Thank you

I am also headed to Scotland in 2023. I think if you look around a bit, you will be able to find what you want pretty reasonably. Don’t rule out red stag culls, they are pretty darn reasonable some places.

We’re flying into London for a few days and taking the sleeper train up to Scotland. Hopefully it will be a proper trip, maybe we will solve a murder on the train ride up. Lol

I went in October of ‘17 and it was a pretty awesome time to go. I didn’t hunt because of time. However, red stag, if you know where to look, can be pretty affordable (at least it was back in 2017).

Recommendations:
- Roads are awful, and it rains all the time: add this into travel plans
- See some castles (there are several and most are worth it - Dunvegan, Sterling, Dunstaffnage, and Doune castles made our list)
- The Trossachs and the Cairngorms are great places for natural beauty
- Visit some of the islands (Skye is good, but it’s touristy unless you go way out - The 3 Chimneys is fabulous)
- Oban is a good place to get places, but it’s not much to see.
- Avoid Glasgow during sporting events, or really anytime.

As planning for your trip, I have enjoyed this YouTube channel on Scottish History. Don’t let the dreadlocks scare you off. Bruce is a real Scotsman.

A few years ago, I met Royal Outfitters (https://www.royaloutfittersuk.com/ ) at the Houston Safari Club expo. I have corresponded with them several times and they look like they have a nice setup. It's on my bucket list.

I'll be interested in the responses as my wife and I have talked about at similar trip in a few years.

Edinburgh is a very interesting city to visit. Also the Highlands area. So much history to see in Scotland.

I have been stalking and driven shooting in Scotland on a number
of occasions. If budget is a concern, forget about driven shooting. Stalking on the other hand, is very reasonable if you can find folks catering to locals as opposed to yanks. Be prepared to shoot culls. The estates typically don’t harvest the trophy stags.

I would make a visit to McKay Brown while you are there, but then I’m a sucker for fine guns.

I wouldnt go in the Fall for Rie bucks - go for the rut in late July /early Aug. Fallow would not be my choice for Scotland either. Id go for Reds, as others have said you can find reasonably priced stalking but shooting a trophy stag is not normally allowed.

About 40 years ago my good friend the late Bill Steigers made a trip to Africa (for Buffalo) and it included what was a sidetrip to Scotland (for deer). He was disappointed in the Africa portion but he raved about the Scotland hunt. The problems with Africa involved the government so not hunting/outfitter issues- but he'd talk for hours about how much he enjoyed Scotland, the estate and manager where he hunted. Being 40 years ago the information would be dated, even if I could remember the names.

I've been there a few times. Hunted on only one trip. The hunting (roe deer) was good fun and reasonably priced. A bit of research and enquiry should find some options that aren't priced for wealthy sports, wherever they may live. The less trophy oriented places will be more reasonably priced. Those catering for the medal obsessed crowd will be expensive.
FWIW I also like Glasgow, which just shows that we are all different and whilst our opinions and experiences may helpful, they should be taken on board with an enquiring mind prior to making your decisions.

I have been having some email exchanges with a couple of outfits and getting more information. I have found out as stated above, red stag culls are not priced that bad. And many of the culls I see are not bad at all, plenty good for me.

In London, visit Berry Brothers & Rudd to load up on wines, old ports and armagnacs, and whatever for the hunt. The shop has catacombs under the street and you will be amazed by the selection. The cigar shop a few doors down from Berry Bros. has good Cubans, and was one of Churchill’s tobacco shops. Lock & Co. is on the same block if you need a flat hat. Most of the better hotels offer some type of shooting and can help w arrangements. Our stalks in the Highlands, and our driven-bird shoots, are some of our favorite hunts. We shot at a friend’s place so I’m sorry I don’t have any recommendations for outfitters, but we always have fun starting out in London.

How long would one plan for a Red Stag cull hunt? One or two days?

If you can make it over to the Isle of Skye, I'd highly suggest it. One of the most rugged, beautiful places I have been and my favorite place on earth so far. Glencoe is also amazing.

We are finally getting our itinerary planned. It looks like we are going to be spending two weeks running around the country, of which 2 days will be spent chasing red and sika stags. I booked a couple of days hunting through Mike Taylor Sporting. He was able to get me taken care of at a pretty reasonable price.

We are going with Mike as well in October. Looking forward to it. Good luck.

We are finally getting our itinerary planned. It looks like we are going to be spending two weeks running around the country, of which 2 days will be spent chasing red and sika stags. I booked a couple of days hunting through Mike Taylor Sporting. He was able to get me taken care of at a pretty reasonable price.
Looking forward to hearing about your trip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg