Hats on safari

CoElk, these definitely keep me warm. And protect against sunburn
IMG_5696.jpeg
IMG_5829.jpeg

I have a flat cap that is my "lucky" hunting cap. It gets used more than any other.
me y mulie de Montana.jpg
deer.JPG
bird in the hand.JPG

Stag 1.JPG

Safe hunting.......and look and feel good while you do it!

@aminkus

This first picture is actually my favorite hat, I'm wearing it with Lake Caribe in the background. A Rogue hat made in South Africa but there is a U.S. distributor.
https://rogue.co.za
DSC00593.JPG

But, since I'm headed back to Zim in a couple of days and hunting with a 110+ year old double I thought I go more old school so had this hat made by O'Farrels in Santa Fe New Mexico. They've made somewhere around ten custom hats for me and the wife.
https://ofarrellhatco.com
IMG_8656.jpg

I have always hated wearing ball caps and I picked up some fedora style wool hats from local shops (guessing less than 40 dollars) in the 90’s. Those have been my preference for the elements and held up strong for decades. Unfortunately I can’t seem to find replacements of the same quality. Been thinking a custom hat like that O’ferrals might be the way to go for my usual cold weather hunting.

I am not used to the heat and have been searching for a similar more breathable hot weather hat. I may end up settling for that rogue, since the reviews seem to be positive and that is the closest thing I have seen in a current production hat.

For boonies, the Tru-Spec wide is a good options.

Coolibar makes a boonie really good in green.

Akubra Territory in Felt.

Attachments

• Leo Shapeable Wide Brim Hat UPF 50+ - Coolibar.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • Territory.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 8.58.49 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 8.58.49 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
If you are going put your sunglasses like that...please make sure they are correctly positioned level....and not cockeyed...... :X3: :E Rofl:

Next time give me a heads up will ya. I don't like to disappoint you. I think it was the angle of the camera. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

E325529B-B471-456E-89BD-17F337B3B367.jpeg
EE1F81A2-F1B2-4C4F-8D94-9061ECDB5EC3.jpeg

customs camo painted by me, But the problem with Cowboy hat it's hard to keep them from getting damaged on plane ride, I had it on last hunt wore it for 3 days no luck, so I went to ventilated trucker cap sage green with my farm logo, Richardson cap style 112 and it worked, I shot my Elephant

Is that the same as a "flats cap"? Design is borrowed from the highly functional French Foreign Legion service caps.
Somewhat. The back is stiff and not floppy like the Foreign Legion caps. They do make some hat where they have a longer and less rigid neck flap.

I still prefer the original like Lefty Kreh himself is wearing in this picture. He was a big saltwater fly fisherman as well as an outdoor writer and author. You can see how the back flap is rather stiff but not as reinforced as the brim.

1715538983282.png

It’s a shame the pith helmet is so derided. I mean, a light, solid material to block the sun, that does not transfer heat like thin material, and that sits off your head to allow airflow…not a bad design…
Perhaps its close resemblance to a condom has something to do with the pith helmet's unpopularity?

Last edited:
I have always hated wearing ball caps and I picked up some fedora style wool hats from local shops (guessing less than 40 dollars) in the 90’s. Those have been my preference for the elements and held up strong for decades. Unfortunately I can’t seem to find replacements of the same quality. Been thinking a custom hat like that O’ferrals might be the way to go for my usual cold weather hunting.

I am not used to the heat and have been searching for a similar more breathable hot weather hat. I may end up settling for that rogue, since the reviews seem to be positive and that is the closest thing I have seen in a current production hat.
I just never liked ball hats either. I always found myself migrating to a full 360 degree brim hat

I generally dislike ball caps, especially when there is a lot of sun, as I then have to decide between my face or the back of my neck getting burned, along with my ears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Richard6789

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani