Has someone here on AH who hunted Tiger in Vietnam?

Foxi

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Canada, USA,Austria,Turkey,Tschech Rep.,Poland,Hungary,Serbia,Denmark,Khomas HL and Omaheke/Namibia and England(England is wonderful) Romania,Luangwa/Zambia-,Gwayi/Zimbabwe/- + Save/Zimbabwe/- River. Horseback-tours in South Africa and Botswana.
surprised what pics I found.
Is here anybody who would share his pics (and stories) with us ?
Regards

Foxi
full

full

Last edited:
WOW! Never heard of this happening before!

My dad was a pilot in the US Air Force. During the Vietnam war, he had multiple tours to Thailand, Guam, etc. During 1968, he had a one year tour in country, stationed at Cam Ranh Bay. Occaissionally, the aircrews would divert into forward bases. My dad told me some of the Army guys invited him to go out tiger hunting with him. He passed, I guess thinking his M2 carbine (30 cal, US) was a bit light for tiger. That and the guys that shot back.

Cool pictures Foxi! I talked to a vet one time that told me a story about his fire team killing one while on patrol. Like his story, I bet most were killed opportunistically. The M16 was probably on the low end of a proper Tiger rifle! Lol

Cool pictures Foxi! I talked to a vet one time that told me a story about his fire team killing one while on patrol. Like his story, I bet most were killed opportunistically. The M16 was probably on the low end of a proper Tiger rifle! Lol

poachers hunt elephant with AK's and hard ball

My father did two tours in Vietnam, one in the 101st, the second in 5th group. His Tiger story always made my brother and I laugh growing up...
They were on patrol and stopped at old ruins of a temple. It was dark and they positioned themselves at the walls. They heard a growling from the jungle they had not heard before. Just then, they saw a large object leap from the jungle into the center of the ruins, between both sides of the men at the perimeter walls. They put a light on it and then saw what it was. My father says you heard a lot of safetys click off, but no one shot as it would have been disastrous in crossfire. The Tiger casually walked thru the middle of the ruins and then off back into the jungle.

Pretty incredible to be so close to such a magnificent animal in the wild.

A little off the subject, but Vietnam related: PBS TV is currently airing the Ken Burns documentary series on Vietnam. Ken Burns is well known for his Civil War documentary and several others. Since my wife is out of town, I sort of binge watched the entire 10 part, 18 hour series in about a week. Well worth watching and really causes you to stop and think.

Tiger scene from the Vietnam era movie, "Apocalypse Now": Words to live by, "Never get out of the boat!"

I've been lurking on AH for the better part of a year and have never posted before but this is one I feel is interesting enough to share. I have a cousin that was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam and while on a flight he saw a tiger running, fixing to cross the road he was flying above, he fired as it crossed the road and connected. He landed and snapped a photo. I'll contact him and see if he can send me the photo so I can post it. It's been years since hearing the story and I can't do it justice but it was pretty neat.

My pops went to school with a fellow who was killed by a tiger over there. Bullshit? Maybe, but it makes for a crazy story.

I believe there are a couple of documented cases of GI's getting killed by tigers over there, and several wounded.

Yup one of my ROTC Instructors shot a tiger in Vietnam. I remember he wore a Ranger Tab. I saw the tiger hide in his house, so I believe him.
I remembered his name and actually just found him on the internet.
Heck, I also just remembered I went to his wedding, 197x.

Last edited:
Tigers were common in Southeast Asia. Not sure about now. Those of you old enough to remember Argosy, and several other magazines of its ilk in the 60s, tiger hunting stories were fairly common from not only from military personnel, but also from diplomats station there and the countries bordering it. I have no idea if these were legal hunts, but being a war zone, I doubt if the hunters were overly concerned about the legality of it.

Very interesting. Kind of interesting to think that as they stalked through the forests in search of enemies, they may have also been stalked by tigers.

In Iraq I didn't see any game animals at all and animals in general rarely, mostly just feral dogs and some goats

Super stories comming out.
Thank you fellows.
Foxi
full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.ichiban1.org/html/stories/story_46_tiger.htm

While we all know that Vietnam was a very unusual war, I doubt that many people would believe that Vietnam's tiger population was a beneficiary. But during the Vietnam wars, it was claimed that tiger populations and tiger attacks increased dramatically due to the many unburied bodies. After all, tigers are known scavengers that feed at old kills, whether their own or not. There were also many tiger sightings by U.S. troops.

One of the most unusual tiger stories to arise was the case of the 3rd Recon Battalion Marine who survived a tiger attack while on patrol in Quang Tri Province in 1968, near where a Marine had allegedly* been killed by a tiger in November 1967. The 400 pound man-eating tiger attacked swiftly and silently, and the first warning the six-man patrol had was screaming from one of the four sleeping Marines. Startled while feeding on the man by the other Marines, the tiger started dragging its prey away before it was killed. The lucky victim was medivaced suffering lacerations and bites on the neck.

In another incident in 1969, a Marine in an ambush position in dense bush felt a tug on his leg and saw a large shape in the black night. After radioing in movement around them and despite being 100% alert, the tiger stealthily returned and grabbed another patrol member before being blown away by five excited Marines. Their buddy was released just slightly the worse for wear. According to SOP, they relocated their ambush, taking the dead 400 pound tiger with them so that they could extract it the next day. Alas, the monsoon meant that choppers couldn't get up that day, so their focus shifted to preserving the corpse before it started rotting. Fortunately, one of the fellows in the rear radioed that tannic acid, used for curing hides, was contained in urine. The next day, a very smelly carcass made it back to base still in shape for photographs.

Around the third week of May 1970, two weeks after the LZ Betty perimeter was penetrated by enemy soldiers in two places, Frenchy Lagimoniere and two other soldiers of B Company, 1st Battalion (Mechanized), 50th Infantry were assigned to pull night guard duty on Bunker 4. They manned the bunker at around 6 p.m., checked their ammunition, did their prep work and settled in for the night. At around 11 p.m., Frenchy was pulling duty and heard some noise coming from out in front of the bunker. He alerted the others and searched carefully through the starlight scope to find the source.

He remembered that night, "As I was looking for whatever made the noise a dark blur flashed in front of my lens followed by a white blur. This happened a couple of times while I was trying to get a fix on what was going on. Then I caught sight of a lizard about 6 feet long trying to scurry away from something. As I looked to my right, I saw a tiger crouched down lying in the elephant grass. Every time the lizard would move the tiger would pounce on it and slap it around like a toy animal. This happened over and over again. I pointed this out to the other guys on the bunker and we took turns watching. During the half hour this went on, others from the greenline also observed the tiger. Then it was gone."

It's a shame that the tiger hadn't come by a few weeks earlier while the NVA were sneaking up and played "cat and mouse" with Charlie.

Rick Leland of B Company now picks up the story. "A day or two later, we were on patrol in our APCs in a area of fairly heavy woods and underbrush about 25 kilometers outside of LZ Betty. Late in the afternoon our LT saw something up ahead of us and told as all to stop. I remember seeing a flash of orange and we all agreed that it was a tiger! Man, we were excited and we thought and talked about it all the rest of the day.

"That night we set out a mechanic ambush. Late that night we heard it go off, so next morning we hurried out but all we saw was a blood trail. The LT and our platoon sergeant agreed we should stick around. We patrolled in the area that day and then set out another ambush close to the last one. Well, that night we heard it go off again so the next morning one APC went out to investigate. They radioed back and said we would not believe what they had! It was the tiger, which had walked into the trip wire and been killed outright!

"Soon the word spread and we had a bunch of choppers carrying Brass and other higher ups flying in all morning long. We all took pictures and then hauled the tiger off on an APC." Frenchy added, "Everybody in the world wanted to take a picture of that cat."

John (The Mole) Williams, a B Company APC driver in the field at the time, added, "After the tiger was killed in a night claymore trip wire ambush, we wanted to take it back to base on the APC, but they made us take it off the track. By the time we got to camp dragging it with a cable or rope, all we had left was a tiger tail to talk about."

Rick observed, "I was excited and sad at the same time to see such a beautiful animal dead. It left me thinking that nothing escapes war. When I got back to States my Mother had one of the pictures blown up and I have it on my wall today."

Photographs of B Company's Tiger, 1970. (Click on photo for enlargement from Rick's photo album.)

Rick Leland's humorous explanation.
Ray Wilford's version.
In the end, it's all the same.
Webmaster's Addendum, 2006: Sometimes the truth comes out in a new or "fresh" viewpoint. Many of us have experienced shortfalls in accurate remembrances as the years pile up from the late 1960's and early 1970's....or, maybe the previous story ending was simply a nice "cover-up" ~Webmaster's grin~....Here's what happened to the Tiger according to "B" Company Platoon Sergeant Darwin "Scott" Stamper!

Stamper.jpg

Staff Sergeant Darwin "Scotty" Stamper

We started using mechanical ambushes and thought they were great because we could set out a half dozen Claymore Mines on a trail and rig them to fire all at once. We could easily go somewhere and set up a night position and wait. If there was an explosion that night we could go back the next day and recover the bodies of the enemy. I can remember one night we had set out some mechanical ambushes and set up that night and waited for something to happen. Well it did! We heard an explosion in the distance and knew we had bagged something, either a VC or an animal. The next morning the platoon got up and we went out to the ambush site and found the body of a dead VC. The platoon Leader, 1st Lt. James MacQueen, and myself decided to set up another mechanical ambush around the body hoping to catch any of the dead VCs unit who might come to recover the body. We set up close by.

We heard another explosion early in the morning and waited for the sun to come up. When we went in to check out the kill zone we found the body of a very large beautiful tiger! He must have decided to drag off the body of the dead VC for a snack, but he set off the ambush. There wasn´t much damage to the pelt and it looked as though the concussion from the six Claymore Mines killed him. We put him on the front of the track behind the trimvane as you see from the pictures. We had planned to take him back with us and have a rug made out of the pelt and hang it in the club.

Well, by about 10 A.M. he started getting pretty "ripe" and we did not have anyone that could dress him out, or wanted to. Just as I was considering dumping him a chopper started circling over us while we were on the move and the pilot called on our frequency and asked me if that was a tiger on the front of the APC. I told him it was and he asked me what we were going to do with it. I told him what we had planned to do with it but that it was starting to get pretty ripe. He asked me what we wanted for it and I told him he could have it for 15 cases of beer to be delivered when we got back to Phan Thiet. We made the deal and we secured an LZ and he came in and got the tiger. When we got back to the Company Area we had the 15 cases of beer waiting for us!

Attachments

• Stamper.jpg
    Stamper.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 542
  • rl04mid.jpg
    rl04mid.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 607
  • rl05mid.jpg
    rl05mid.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 540
  • rl03mid.jpg
    rl03mid.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 525
Last edited by a moderator:
colonel-archie-hyle-with-elephant-vietnam-war-1st-cavalry-july-1966-bhf0cb.jpg

peter-alan-lloyd-BACK-novel-backpackers-in-danger-ho-chi-minh-trail-phantom-reconaissance-aircraft-vietnam-war-elephants-and-animals-vietnam-war-3_resize.jpg

Wildlife suffers in war.

Attachments

• colonel-archie-hyle-with-elephant-vietnam-war-1st-cavalry-july-1966-bhf0cb.jpg
    colonel-archie-hyle-with-elephant-vietnam-war-1st-cavalry-july-1966-bhf0cb.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 382
  • peter-alan-lloyd-BACK-novel-backpackers-in-danger-ho-chi-minh-trail-phantom-reconaissance-.jpg
    peter-alan-lloyd-BACK-novel-backpackers-in-danger-ho-chi-minh-trail-phantom-reconaissance-.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 367
Interesting subject. I just found this image when taking a look.
No idea about the story behind it, there was no explanation accompanying the image.

main-qimg-5fe82714c847aa1ad3431fbd7fc67340-c.jpg

Not the war but hunting in Vietnam.

img_13731.jpg

img_1370.jpg

indo_001_02.gif

Attachments

• img_1370.jpg
    img_1370.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 964
  • img_13731.jpg
    img_13731.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 592
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg