Has someone here on AH who hunted Tiger in Vietnam?

Discussion in 'Hunting Asia & Middle East' started by Foxi, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Major Khan

Major Khan AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    I may be very mistaken . However , l heard that shot guns were allowed to be owned in Vietnam.

2. kurpfalzjäger

kurpfalzjäger AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Shot guns can be bought in some countries in southeast asia , and also in Japan where hunters have little opportunity to buy an bolt action rifle.

That limits the hunting opportunities very much , as far as this exists. Often it's just about drive-hunting on wild boars.

Tom Hawk and Major Khan like this.

3. Major Khan

Major Khan AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Thank you so much for helping me understand , Kurpfalzjager . Japanese Miroku shot guns are among some of the best imported over under shot guns in Bangladesh.

Tom Hawk and kurpfalzjäger like this.

4. jacques smith

jacques smith AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    No pictures cause we were too busy hauling ass. Killing the tiger gave away my small teams position. For whatever reason the kitty let me slide right past him and tried to get the next man. It was a matter of a couple of feet. Maybe i didnt smell like food
    Strange but true story from a strange but true place

5. steve white

steve white AH Veteran

Member of:
    dallas safari club, mannlicher collectors assoc., era
    Hunted:
    Cape buffalo, plains game
    My uncle Paul Henderson was on guard duty of the perimeter in a camp in Vietnam. He saw movement and challenged it in English, French, and a local dialect (with the help of friends).. Everyone agreed since it had not responded ,they would shoot at the next movement. They did, with a 50 cal., and when going out to inspect later, found a very mutilated tiger!

BenKK likes this.

6. spike.t

spike.t AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2013 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
  7. Kouprey

Kouprey AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Russia, Austria, Mongolia, Hungary
    I also have Douglas Burden's book - great mix of hunting in Asia in the 1920s - from Argali to Water Buffalo to Komodo Dragons... I think Burden was one of the first to hunt these lizards - for a Diorama in the Natural History Museum in NY. I found a few photos.

a-photograph-of-komodo-dragons-from-the-expedition.jpg douglas-burden 1.jpg douglas-burden 2.jpg

Wheels likes this.

8. Kouprey

Kouprey AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Dear Jeff!
    I'm glad that you mentioned Defosse - he was one of the great french hunting guides of Indochina (and there weren't many - Albert Plas and A. Pietri come to mind). Defosse had his own safari company and guided many clients together with his son Louis for Banteng, Tiger and Gaur.
    There's not so much material about them, but beside the book by Douglas-Burden i would recommend:
    "Tiger Trails in Southern Asia" and "The Long Trek" by Richard L. Sutton (hunted in Indochina with Defosse several times).
    "Trailing the Tiger" by Mary Hastings Bradley - she and her husband hunted around the world in the 1920s, she finally bagged a tiger with Defosse in Annam. They also hunted with Carl Akeley in the Congo and Mary's husband Herbert shot the huge mountain gorilla for the American Natural History Museum (but that's off topic here).
    I'll add some pics - the guy with the Banteng is Defosse.

Best regards: Kouprey

bradley_trailingthetiger.jpg defosse_banteng.jpg defosse_brochure 2.jpg defosse_brochure 3.jpg defosse_brochure.jpg defosse_tiger-client.jpg sutton_longtrek.jpg sutton_tigertrails 1.jpg sutton_tigertrails 2.jpg sutton_tigertrails 3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2020
    Major Khan, Foxi and Wheels like this.

9. Kouprey

Kouprey AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    I also found a few photos of soldiers and tigers during the Vietnam War.
    Makes me a little sad... I mean, you see the proud smiling faces of the young boys and wonder if they ever made it back home to the States...

The latest (and probably last) book about tiger hunting in Vietnam is "I killed for a Living" by Etienne Oggeri. He was a professional hunter for tiger and gaur (guided trophy hunter Berry Brooks, among others) in the 1950s and 1960s shortly before the madness began. It's a good read and still available at Safari Press or Amazon.

oggeri1.jpg oggeri2.jpg vietnam.jpg vietnam5.jpg vietnam8.jpeg vietnam8.jpg vietnam10.jpg vietnam12.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2020
    Wheels and Major Khan like this.

10. mark-hunter

mark-hunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
    What is the animal, antelope or bovine, bewteen tigers in post number 48?

Major Khan likes this.

11. Kouprey

Kouprey AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Hi Mark!
    It's a banteng cow, probably shot for meat, the hunter is the french guide Francis Defosse. The banteng bulls are a lot larger and very beautiful colored. Not so big as gaur but also quite aggressive when wounded.
    The banteng of Indochina were bright red, those from Java were more darker coloured. Banteng were also brought to Australia, i think you can still hunt them there.
    Best regards: Kouprey

sutton_banteng.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2020
    Major Khan likes this.

12. mark-hunter

mark-hunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
    Amazing number of species in Asia. It is a shame, that most of countries are closed to hunting.

Thank you, Kouprey, for explanation!

Major Khan likes this.

13. Kouprey

Kouprey AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Mark, you are absolutely right - it WAS a game paradise.

The game fields of old Indochina (today Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Thailand) and other places in Southern Asia were only rivaled by the East African plains. There were great jungles and open, park-like forests with a huge amount of wild game.

Game animals were elephant, tiger, leopard, gaur, banteng, water buffalo, kouprey, serau, wild boar, tapir, clouded leopard, wild dogs (dhole), two species of bear (himalayan bear and malayan bear), two species of rhinos (java rhino and sumatran rhino), crocodiles, deer-species like sambar, eld‘s deer, schomburgk‘s deer, muntjac.
    Bird hunting and fishing was also very good. Many hunters shot peacock for food, a delicacy.

One example: on a „Big Game Licence“ (40 piastres for french, 80 piastres for foreigners) in the year 1937 one hunter was permitted to shoot 2 male elephants, 1 rhinoceros, 5 gaurs, 6 Banteng, 4 water buffaloes - all the other game was unlimited. Imagine that!!

Then came one war after another.

But surprisingly, in the 1990s several completely new species were found in Vietnam, the saola (a goatlike antelope with oryx horns), the giant muntjac, mouses, monkeys and horns of a highly mysterious creature called "Linh Duong" or pseudonovibos spiralis. Nobody has seen it yet, only the horns sometimes appear on markets.

I wonder how much game is left today...

kurpfalzjäger and Major Khan like this.

14. Major Khan

Major Khan AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    This should interest you , Kouprey. It is from Uttar Pradesh , India in 1968. If you would like to see my whole copy of our professional shikaree's book of regulations in Uttar Pradesh some day , do not hesitate to let me know.
    Screenshot_20200130-070825_01.png

Also , your book is most fascinating. We used to carry so many slain royal Bengal tigers like this. The rule back in the old days was as follows :
    For a 400 pound royal Bengal tiger , you use 1 bamboo. For a 500 pound royal Bengal tiger , you use 2 bamboos tied together in order to reduce the chances of the bamboo breaking , due to the great cat's weight.
    Screenshot_20191201-081002_01_01.png

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    kurpfalzjäger likes this.

15. kurpfalzjäger

kurpfalzjäger AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    It was certainly very interesting areas to hunt. Unfortunately it is over due on one side to the political situation and the restrictive gun-laws of these countries , and on the other side the increasing destroying of the animal habitat in many regions.

As far as the new animal species are concerned , especially the giant muntjac , it was told in Malaysia at the beginning of the nineties that it had been known to the locals for a long time. However , it's right , all of these animals were zoologically recorded in the early nineties. The Linh Duong seems to be a fake.

That I don't forget it , the last Kouprey was seen in the early eighties.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Major Khan likes this.