Has magnum action today, really become history?

mark-hunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunting club, target shooting club, national hunting and shooting organisations
Hunted
Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
Gents,
What are the factories still producing rifles in magnum length actions today?

Lets disregard for this topic, a subject of controlled round feed or push feed.
Also, lets disregard, shortened magnums (and 375 Ruger and other of similar concept).

So the question is, what factories still produce magnum length actions, regardless of type (CRF, or PF), for cartridges 375 H&H upwards?

One that comes to mind is Sako 85. What would be the others that you know about?

-Sauer (404)
-Prechtl,
-Reimer Johannsen,
-Hartmann and Weiss,
-Hansen (I’m about 70% sure they make magnum length actions) they make custom barrels for Sauer rifles too
-Defiance Machine

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.52.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.52.32 AM.png
    667.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.52.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.52.33 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 143
Last edited:
-Sauer (404)
-Prechtl,
-Reimer Johannsen,
-Hartmann and Weiss,
-Hansen (I’m about 70% sure they make magnum length actions) they make custom barrels for Sauer rifles too
-Defiance Machine
.585 Nyati are Hansen rifles also made in their action and lot of other " smaller " cartridges also.

Kimber makes the Talkeetna & Caprivi in 375H&&H.

Sako

Just to define magnum action.
Just having a chambering in 375 H&H, does not mean it is magnum action.

For example, zastava or winchester m70, are standard medium actions.
458 win mag was designed to fit that action length (LOA cartridge 3.34'')
That size, with bit of adjusting can fit as well 375 H&H .(LOA 3.64'')
And those two are most common african calibers if available at all in standard medium length action factory rifles.

Another point is: magazine for magnum action is supposed to be wider, allowing for better capacity of cartridges.
Atached is photo of win m70 in 375 h&h and win m70 in 30-06. (same, but 375 is adjusted for longer casing extraction)
Thats why, for example zastava in 375 (medium action) will have capacity 3 rounds, while zkk 602 in same caliber capacity will be 6.

The bottom line, not all above listed are magnum actions, which brought me to make my opening post.
Magnum action is not that common.

winm70.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Completed Rifles-
Heym
Hartmann & Weiss
Reimer Johanssen
Mauser
Hambrusch
John Rigby & Co.
Westley Richards
Holland & Holland
James Purdey & Co.
George Gibbs
Grulla Armas C95
Griffin & Howe
Reto Buehller
John Bolliger
SABI

Actions-
Granite Mountain Arms
Waffen Prechtll
FZH
Blaser
Mayfair Engineering
SABI

Just to define magnum action.
Just having a chambering in 375 H&H, does not mean it is magnum action.

For example, zastava or winchester m70, are standard medium actions.
458 win mag was designed to fit that action length (LOA cartridge 3.34'')
That size, with bit of adjusting can fit as well 375 H&H .(LOA 3.64'')
And those two are most common african calibers if available at all in standard medium length action factory rifles.

Another point is: magazine for magnum action is supposed to be wider, allowing for better capacity of cartridges.
Atached is photo of win m70 in 375 h&h and win m70 in 30-06. (same, but 375 is adjusted for longer casing extraction)
Thats why, for example zastava in 375 (medium action) will have capacity 3 rounds, while zkk 602 in same caliber capacity will be 6.

The bottom line, not all above listed are magnum actions, which brought me to make my opening post.
Magnum action is not that common.

View attachment 432598

I’ve always considered true magnum actions as those built for a 416 Rigby and up. And that without shoehorning it like Selbys standard action 416. Not sure if that’s a proper delineation, but that’s where my mind goes when someone says Magnum action…

I’ve always considered true magnum actions as those built for a 416 Rigby and up. And that without shoehorning it like Selbys standard action 416. Not sure if that’s a proper delineation, but that’s where my mind goes when someone says Magnum action…
+1

I was thinking along the same lines.

Here’s another question;

What complete rifles are out there that are obtainable for the upper middle class?
Blaser and Heym?

Champlins has a Hoenig 416 Rigby on a brevex. 12k. A very classy rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShelbyFogg

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross