Has Anyone Here Hunted With One Of The Famous Professional Hunters?

Has anyone here hunted with one of the famous PH’s like capstick or harry selby, or any others?
No, but Harry Shelby allowed me to interview him for my masters degree project on the Mau Mau Insurgency.

What constitutes a celebrity?
Now there is a sharp point;)

And speaking of Sharp, I got to have lunch with John, Tim, and Cody. A finer group of famous gentlemen one could not find. I truly felt I was in the presence of Greatness all around..... Each in their own capacities of course:)

No, but Harry Shelby allowed me to interview him for my masters degree project on the Mau Mau Insurgency.
Are you referring to Harry Selby?

Are you referring to Harry Selby?
Yes. I e-mailed the folks at Man-Magnum Magazine asking for someone I could interview for my Army War College paper and you could've knocked me over with a feather when they gave me Harry Selby's e-mail address.

Yes. I e-mailed the folks at Man-Magnum Magazine asking for someone I could interview for my Army War College paper and you could've knocked me over with a feather when they gave me Harry Selby's e-mail address.
Very cool. Would love to hear how you spun that subject with the folks at Carlisle!

I guess Donald Ker and Syd Downy would be considered the most well-known, along with Harry Selby. Then there is Buzz Charleton, and Mark Sullivan are other names that occur to me.

I guess Donald Ker and Syd Downy would be considered the most well-known, along with Harry Selby. Then there is Buzz Charleton, and Mark Sullivan are other names that occur to me.

Some names I would lists as "famous" are;

Robin Hurt, Tony Henley, Cecil Riggs, Lionel Palmer, Danny McCallum, David Ommanney, John Knowles, Tony Seth-Smith, Nick Swan, John Dugmore, Brian Hearne, Tony France, Tony Archer, Bali Iqbal, Alick Roberts, Harry Mueller, Gerard Miller- and the gentlemen from that era with whom I was fortunate to hunt with; Gerard Ambrose, George Angelides and my favorite Nicky Blunt.

In my mind, Mark Sullivan, while certainly "known" should not be mentioned with the men named above.

I would throw Len Taylor in there. He is so unassuming he doesn’t get a lot of press, but he’s one of the best.

Wow, I don’t recognize any of those names except Nicky Blunt and couldn’t tell you anything about him.

I would throw Len Taylor in there. He is so unassuming he doesn’t get a lot of press, but he’s one of the best.
I met him on the plane from Paris to Jo’berg in 2014. Nice guy.

Wow, I don’t recognize any of those names except Nicky Blunt and couldn’t tell you anything about him.

I encourage you to read Brian Hearne's books.

Robin Hurt is arguably the most famous of the last generation of the professional hunters from East Africa. The group of PHs that proceeded Hurt's generation included Donald Ker and Syd Downey then Harry Selby and Andrew Holmberg, Pat Hemingway, Russell Douglass and Stan Lawrence-Brown. Most if not all of these men started in Kenya and Tanganyika then moved to other countries as hunting became more limited in East Africa in the 60s and 70s.

I didn‘t hunt with late Volker Grellmann of Namibia. However I hunted with his .270 Win. Shot an old oryx bull, unfortunately, the Blacks were drunk when cleaning the trophy, so it went into their fire.

I encourage you to read Brian Hearne's books.

Robin Hurt is arguably the most famous of the last generation of the professional hunters from East Africa. The group of PHs that proceeded Hurt's generation included Donald Ker and Syd Downey then Harry Selby and Andrew Holmberg, Pat Hemingway, Russell Douglass and Stan Lawrence-Brown. Most if not all of these men started in Kenya and Tanganyika then moved to other countries as hunting became more limited in East Africa in the 60s and 70s.

Left a couple out: Dave Williams and John Northcote.

I just checked out Brian Hearne's books. Ouch ! From about $175 to $375.

Hey thanks, I bought it and Uganda Safaris.

Robin Hurt is arguably the most famous of the last generation of the professional hunters from East Africa.

Likely true.

Below is what Robin inscribed in the copy of his book that was purchased by John Sharp.

I know John would never share this...he is too humble. And I hope he is not perturbed at me for making this known.

I am fairly certain Mr. Hurt would not write this without all sincerity:

IMG_1495.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg