Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
National rifle association
Hunted
United States and Canada
Could a southpaw shoot a right hand double? Specifically do modern built doubles specifically the Krieghoff classic and offerings from Chapuis incorporate different stock dimensions for right vs. left hand doubles? Or is the cheek piece the main difference?

Thanks for your help.

-Nathan

the cheep piece is not the only difference. the stock is also made at a slight angle along the axis. the cast. a right-handed stock for a left-handed shooter gives an unnatural position. not impossible, but far from comfortable, also due to recoil absorption in the large callibers. and not likely that the sights align with the eye naturaly, so dangerous in DG hunts.

I know the problem. I'm also left-handed. I learned to shoot right. for static shots this works. not in a very dynamic situation (trap, running boar, a charge ect).
Cast_On_Cast_Off.jpg

Two other things to consider:
1. Action release lever.
2. Triggers

Both can be changed by a competent gunsmith. The question is cost.

Lon

the cheep piece is not the only difference. the stock is also made at a slight angle along the axis. the cast. a right-handed stock for a left-handed shooter gives an unnatural position. not impossible, but far from comfortable, also due to recoil absorption in the large callibers. and not likely that the sights align with the eye naturaly, so dangerous in DG hunts.

I know the problem. I'm also left-handed. I learned to shoot right. for static shots this works. not in a very dynamic situation (trap, running boar, a charge ect).
View attachment 578615
Thanks, my only experience with cast on a shotgun stock is a truly left hand citori I have with left hand top lever, palm swell, and cast. I wasn’t sure if double rifles were the same. It sounds like I should stick to a left hand double.

Left hand stocks are offered by Krieghoff, even as a conversion for a used right hand rifle. You won't regret spending a some more to have it fit properly.

I’m a lefty and bought a right handed double, that being said I’ve hunted with a right handled rifle all of my life so I don’t know the difference. I chose to get the right handed version because there is a much better resale market.

I’m a lefty and bought a right handed double, that being said I’ve hunted with a right handled rifle all of my life so I don’t know the difference. I chose to get the right handed version because there is a much better resale market.
That’s always a consideration too.

A bespoke or other high grade double rifle will most probably have cast off for a righty or cast on for a lefty.

A modern production standard grade, entry level, off the shelf double probably has neutral (no) cast. Casting a stock costs money that buyers don’t want to pay for. Plus, any amount of cast is personal. One bend does not fit all. I may be wrong but I own a Heym, Krieghoff, and Blaser. None have any cast on or off. I’ve also owned a couple of Merkels and a Chapuis. You already guessed it, no cast on any of them.

A special order double from may have cast on or off. I think those rifles will be of higher grade with extra engraving and very nice wood. To check for cast, with an empty rifle, look down the rib from muzzle toward the butt. Cast on or off will be noticeable. Turn the rifle over and do the same to look for toe in or out of the butt. Both can also be measured but you get the idea, right?

If offered a great rifle with too much or the wrong direction cast, a good stock maker may be able to steam the stock and bend it straight. This is a little risky because too much pressure can crack a stock. The more figure in the grip area, the weaker a stock will probably be. I say probably because there are a lot of variables in both wood and the art of stock bending. The process isn’t hard and I am proof. A decade ago I was bending 100-year old SxS shotgun stocks to add or decrease drop. I never cracked a stock. Twenty years ago I had Glenn Baker of Woodcock Hill bend stocks for both drop and cast. He was very skilled at this. I don’t know if he’s still in business or not. If I had a high grade stock that needed bending, rather than doing it myself, I’d call JJ Perodeau.

There will probably be a cheekpiece on a double that looks nice but in my opinion, doesn’t serve much purpose. These aren’t 1000-yard target rifles where perfect cheek weld is important. Heck, I own a lot of super accurate rifles that do not have cheekpieces and some very nice rifles that do. If a lefty buys a right hand rifle with a cheek piece, leave it there or have a decent gunsmith remove it. You won't miss it!

Finally, there are triggers. Have your gunsmith swap them over. That’s a pretty simple task for a skilled smith familiar with SxS actions.

If “I” had questions about a “specific rifle” concerning what it would cost to change the cast, remove a cheekpiece, swap triggers or otherwise “convert” a right to left or vice-versa double rifle, I’d call JJ Perodeau for an estimate before buying that rifle.

Note: In theory, any change in the way a shooter presents opposition to recoil may change regulation and/or point of impact for the two-barrel group. Any change in results may however not be noticeable to the shooter. These rifle changes include bending a stock for more or less cast or drop, or even shooting a double rifle set up for a righty as a left handed gun. There is also a theory that for a right handed shooter, the right barrel recoils to the right more than the left barrel recoils to the left, and vice-versa The same applies for Joe or Bill shooting my rifle and me shooting theirs. We all shoot and absorb recoil somewhat differently. Like I stated, in theory any change could change regulation or point of impact. In theory…

Last edited:
A bespoke or other high grade double rifle will most probably have cast off for a righty or cast on for a lefty.

A modern production standard grade, entry level, off the shelf double probably has neutral (no) cast. Casting a stock costs money that buyers don’t want to pay for. Plus, any amount of cast is personal. One bend does not fit all. I may be wrong but I own a Heym, Krieghoff, and Blaser. None have any cast on or off. I’ve also owned a couple of Merkels and a Chapuis. You already guessed it, no cast on any of them.

A special order double from may have cast on or off. I think those rifles will be of higher grade with extra engraving and very nice wood. To check for cast, with an empty rifle, look down the rib from muzzle toward the butt. Cast on or off will be noticeable. Turn the rifle over and do the same to look for toe in or out of the butt. Both can also be measured but you get the idea, right?

If offered a great rifle with too much or the wrong direction cast, a good stock maker may be able to steam the stock and bend it straight. This is a little risky because too much pressure can crack a stock. The more figure in the grip area, the weaker a stock will probably be. I say probably because there are a lot of variables in both wood and the art of stock bending. The process isn’t hard and I am proof. A decade ago I was bending 100-year old SxS shotgun stocks to add or decrease drop. I never cracked a stock. Twenty years ago I had Glenn Baker of Woodcock Hill bend stocks for both drop and cast. He was very skilled at this. I don’t know if he’s still in business or not. If I had a high grade stock that needed bending, rather than doing it myself, I’d call JJ Perodeau.

There will probably be a cheekpiece on a double that looks nice but in my opinion, doesn’t serve much purpose. These aren’t 1000-yard target rifles where perfect cheek weld is important. Heck, I own a lot of super accurate rifles that do not have cheekpieces and some very nice rifles that do. If a lefty buys a right hand rifle with a cheek piece, leave it there or have a decent gunsmith remove it. You won't miss it!

Finally, there are triggers. Have your gunsmith swap them over. That’s a pretty simple task for a skilled smith familiar with SxS actions.

If “I” had questions about a “specific rifle” concerning what it would cost to change the cast, remove a cheekpiece, swap triggers or otherwise “convert” a right to left or vice-versa double rifle, I’d call JJ Perodeau for an estimate before buying that rifle.

Note: In theory, any change in the way a shooter presents opposition to recoil may change regulation and/or point of impact for the two-barrel group. Any change in results may however not be noticeable to the shooter. These rifle changes include bending a stock for more or less cast or drop, or even shooting a double rifle set up for a righty as a left handed gun. There is also a theory that for a right handed shooter, the right barrel recoils to the right more than the left barrel recoils to the left, and vice-versa The same applies for Joe or Bill shooting my rifle and me shooting theirs. We all shoot and absorb recoil somewhat differently. Like I stated, in theory any change could change regulation or point of impact. In theory…
Very interesting explanation. The dynamics of shooting a double, regulation, accuracy are fascinating.
Thanks for the important details.

Thank you for the information Mark!

I am having a Rigby double rifle built at the moment . When measuring me up the guys from Rigby were almost totally fixed on the cast off . LOP not such a big factor . Correct cast means you eye rapidly aligns with rear and front sights - pretty crucial in a dangerous game rifle .

^^^ I am far from a rifle fit expert. Actually a novice.

But I know in my experience I can shoot a wide variety of rifles with LOP variants, within reason.

But if the cheek and cast are off I’m moving my head all over trying to get a sight picture. Wasting seconds and shooting poorly. So I agree the cheek height and cast are more important to me than 1/2 in LOP. Of course custom fit in all measurements would be nice.

I cannot refute whether many neutral (no cast) doubles are made. the merkel 140 8x57 that i have, has cast. it´s one of the last before they completely switched to the 141. ditto for the single shot. and was like that by default. In any case, this is an aspect to check in your search.

Fitting A Double Rifle to one self should be no different than fitting a shotgun..Proper Length of Pull, Drop and Cast. If you are a Lefty like I am are you use to shooting break action shotguns with right handed top levers if so do not switch the top lever ...
What I have done to make a used Right Handed Double Rifle left handed...
LOP my DRs are about 14 3/4"s
Cast need about a 1/4" cast on, so I have the Stock Bent .. if the Stock came with a cheek piece it's on the wrong side so I'll take that off and refinish the stock
Triggers they usually face to the right I'll twist them so they point forward leave it so it stays front trigger right barrel back trigger left barrel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Declan4098

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you