Guiding The Governor Of New Mexico

Another great story from you....as I have said before it's so interesting to hear the adventures of you and your friends... it was a fortunate day when kawshik joined AH and then persuaded you two sign up.... It's nice to hear about hunting in India from people who experienced it. But I must say the trophy room special hunt sounds very interesting.... Would have loved to have done one of those.... :D Beers:
Why , thank you so much , Spike T. That is 1 very long story to write , but l will do it ! In the mean time , l see that you have been intrigued by Allwyn Cooper Limited's " Trophy Room Special " package deal .
Perhaps , this may pique your interest ?
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/the-world-of-hunting-then-and-now.54724/page-2
I refer you to the " costs " section of my previous article , " The World Of Hunting : Then & Now " . I have done a nice piece on our " Trophy Room Special " package deal .

Did you ever hunt tigers with clients by tracking them?
Too many times to count , Spike T ! I preferred baiting the most , however , due to sheer safety and convenience. Perhaps , my next story should revolve around a royal Bengal tiger which we had to track ?
Screenshot_20191201-082544_01_01.png

You see ... Unlike a panther ( which you American gentlemen refer to , as " leopard " ) , EVERY royal Bengal tiger that pounces on you will not stop mauling you until you are dead . Therefore , beats or baiting is much preferred .
Tracking them manually was mostly ( but not always ) reserved for man eating royal Bengal tigers in areas where you cannot organize a beat. You see... For a man eating royal Bengal tiger , animal baits will not work , because the brute has acquired the taste of flesh of man and will eschew all other forms of meat in favor of human flesh . Apparently , we taste better to them than sambhur deer .

Sounds terrifying and I can fully understand your reluctance to have to do it. Write us another Royal Bengal tiger story. Anything you write about tigers is fascinating and educational. Too bad they cannot still be hunted but I guess their numbers are quite limited.

Yes it would be interesting to hear about tracking them as I think that would have been the most interesting way to hunt one......and most people I know would debate as to whether I am a gentleman..... :D....but am definitely not American :D:D

Sounds terrifying and I can fully understand your reluctance to have to do it. Write us another Royal Bengal tiger story. Anything you write about tigers is fascinating and educational. Too bad they cannot still be hunted but I guess their numbers are quite limited.
I am glad that you liked this article , NewBoomer. The Indian media will tell you that they are endangered ( they will also tell you that sambhur deer is endangered , so you can understand the level of disgusting lies which those anti hunters spew. ) . However , their numbers have now risen to terrifying amounts. The number of man eating royal Bengal tigers in India has increased so much that the most amount of human wild life conflict happens in the borders of the wild life reserves. In Bangladesh , near the Sundarban forest , very rarely permission is given to shoot a royal Bengal tiger if it is proven to be a man eater and a threat to human life. It will be my honour to write another article on royal Bengal tigers on Tuesday.

Dear Major, Another well written article—thank you. Fascinating hunting technique. Growing up We would often conduct small drives for deer. The technique sounds similar on a micro scale. We would also post shooters for rabbit hunting with my Uncle Herman, Dad Wilfred, and brother Jeff taking turns tracking the rabbit in the snow and howling like dogs to bring the rabbit in a circle like a hound would. Great memories. Thanks for the explanation of how the driven hunt was conducted. Your friend, Brian
Why , thank you Brian .I have always been curious about something. Exactly what fire arm do you , American gentlemen use for hunting hares ? In Bangladesh , we always use either a .22 Long Rifle or .22 Winchester magnum rim fire calibre weapon , or a shot gun , loaded with no.4 or no.6 cartridges.

Why , thank you so much , Spike T. That is 1 very long story to write , but l will do it ! In the mean time , l see that you have been intrigued by Allwyn Cooper Limited's " Trophy Room Special " package deal .
Perhaps , this may pique your interest ?
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/the-world-of-hunting-then-and-now.54724/page-2
I refer you to the " costs " section of my previous article , " The World Of Hunting : Then & Now " . I have done a nice piece on our " Trophy Room Special " package deal .

So USD 25000 1963 to 1972,,,,,,now USD 150000 to USD 205000 approx..... nearest now would probably be a 30 day full bag hunt in tanzania......

Why , thank you Brian .I have always been curious about something. Exactly what fire arm do you , American gentlemen use for hunting hares ? In Bangladesh , we always use either a .22 Long Rifle or .22 Winchester magnum rim fire calibre weapon , or a shot gun , loaded with no.4 or no.6 cartridges.
Thanks for your interest. We usually used shotguns in either 12 or 20 gauge with number 6 shot if we were using a track and flush approach. I think the same is true if a person was using a beagle or basset hound. If walking and trying to see the rabbit without flushing it we would try and use a 22lr and shoot them in the head so as not to ruin the meat. Today would be a great day to try for some rabbits as the weather is warm—36 F—and we have fresh snow from overnight. However, this morning my brother Kevin and his family were butchering a beef cow for meat and I helped bone out hamburger meat for several hours. It is a lot of fun to work together on a communal project! Thanks again, Major. Your friend Brian

Thank you Major Khan for another interesting, very well written story! I first met Tom Bolack in about 1971. Between that time and his passing in '98 I spent quite a bit of time, particularly from about 1985 on, on his ranch as part of my work. He was politically connected and very active behind the scenes all the way up to the highest levels of government in Washington even though his elected political career was somewhat limited. I am certain his outspoken support of the concept of hunting as a conservation keystone and reputation as a worldwide hunter likely would have hindered, or possibly did hinder his advancement in elected office. Just the nature of the political beast in the US.

In the day, most everyone had an opinion about the man, some very negative if for no other reason than his love for hunting. Conversely, he was also admired by many who really understood his philanthropic nature as it pertained to wildlife, wildlife habitat and the agricultural heritage he so tenaciously protected around his ranch. He contributed significantly to the agricultural and horticultural industry as a whole and spent a great deal of his own time and money supporting public education about the industry. He was truly one of a kind as I had mentioned earlier, outspoken, interesting and somewhat eccentric. I did not know him as a friend or even close acquaintance necessarily but I will say he always treated me well and in a professional manner so it is good to hear that he carried himself well as an ambassador, so to speak, in other countries and cultures. And I did not know the exact details of that tiger hunt and especially the use of the 270- another very interesting factoid- something to ponder for certain.

Thank you Mister Major Khan,
that was a great story.

I like your writing style and that you (as Mister Rahman also) are so respectfully to your former hunters.

Best wishes.
F.

From Wikipedia (01 - 2020):

Thomas Felix "Tom" Bolack (May 18, 1918 – May 20, 1998) was an American businessman and politician, who served as the 20th governor of New Mexico for 32 days in 1962–63

Bolack's ranch is now the site of the Bolack Museum of Fish and Wildlife, which displays over 4,000 stuffed animals including many of rare species. Bolack, an accomplished big-game hunter and recipient of Safari Club International's Fourth Pinnacle of Achievement Award, shot most of the animals in the collection himself.

Thank you Major Khan for another interesting, very well written story! I first met Tom Bolack in about 1971. Between that time and his passing in '98 I spent quite a bit of time, particularly from about 1985 on, on his ranch as part of my work. He was politically connected and very active behind the scenes all the way up to the highest levels of government in Washington even though his elected political career was somewhat limited. I am certain his outspoken support of the concept of hunting as a conservation keystone and reputation as a worldwide hunter likely would have hindered, or possibly did hinder his advancement in elected office. Just the nature of the political beast in the US.

In the day, most everyone had an opinion about the man, some very negative if for no other reason than his love for hunting. Conversely, he was also admired by many who really understood his philanthropic nature as it pertained to wildlife, wildlife habitat and the agricultural heritage he so tenaciously protected around his ranch. He contributed significantly to the agricultural and horticultural industry as a whole and spent a great deal of his own time and money supporting public education about the industry. He was truly one of a kind as I had mentioned earlier, outspoken, interesting and somewhat eccentric. I did not know him as a friend or even close acquaintance necessarily but I will say he always treated me well and in a professional manner so it is good to hear that he carried himself well as an ambassador, so to speak, in other countries and cultures. And I did not know the exact details of that tiger hunt and especially the use of the 270- another very interesting factoid- something to ponder for certain.
It is a very small world , four five eight . You knew him too ? He was a gentleman among gentlemen. And of course ... Left wing media will never paint anyone ( let alone a political figure ) who hunts , in a positive light. Look at all the garbage they about President Donald Trump's sons who love hunting . Mr. Bolack also owned this EXTREMELY beautiful Mauser Oberndorf bolt rifle , which was originally chambered in 8 x 60 mm . He had it rebarrelled to .30-06 Springfield. That rifle was 1 pin point accurate piece of art . He used it in his 1964 shikar trip to India , when he booked Allwyn Cooper Limited's " Trophy Room Special " package deal . He also told me that he used this rifle in Rhodesia to take an African bull elephant , by using .30-06 Springfield calibre 220 grain solid metal covered round nose bullets from Winchester. Knowing Mr. Bolack's surgical precision in terms of his marksman , l do not doubt him 1 bit.

Thank you Mister Major Khan,
that was a great story.

I like your writing style and that you (as Mister Rahman also) are so respectfully to your former hunters.

Best wishes.
F.
Why thank you , Bull Hunter. As old Kawshik always says " Client is King ! " .

http://wherearethedixonstoday.blogspot.com/2017/0
[URL]http://wherearethedixonstoday.blogspot.com/2017/06/thomas-bolacks-fish-and-wildlife-museum.html
Please see this link.
I think the tiger of that story is now in an museum.

6/thomas-bolacks-fish-and-wildlife-museum.html[/URL]

Please see this link.
I think the tiger of that story is now in an museum.
This is fascinating , Bull Hunter ! It is like re living those shikar trips from 1963 and 1964. However , that is not the royal Bengal tiger which he shot in 1963 . That it the royal Bengal tiger which Mr. Bolack shot in 1964 as part of Allwyn Cooper Limited's " Trophy Room Special " package deal. He used his rebarrelled .30-06 Springfield calibre Mauser Oberndorf bolt rifle for the 1964 shikar trip and he had a full body mount done to that royal Bengal tiger .

Poton Bhai , fantastic story ! I remember my wife and l having dinner with Kawshik , Fabliha , Daniel and Daniel's parents in 2017 in Kawshik's house . Daniel's mother ( Jenna , right ? ) showed me a beautiful single trigger 28 bore side by side droplock shotgun ( also made by Westley Richards ) with which she shoots doves , grouse , pheasants , partridges and quail . I believe she also used the same gun to hunt quails with you and Kawshik last year ?
I really miss the old Winchester silver tips . They were a premium soft nose bullet , indeed ! Who ever decided to discontinue their production broke my heart .

Major Khan, another wonderful story, thank you for sharing. On a side note, Brooks Brothers does still make the bottom down oxfords with a pocket in a regular fit. It sounds like you have inadvertently gotten some of their slim fit European style shirts. Bill

Major Khan, another wonderful story, thank you for sharing. On a side note, Brooks Brothers does still make the bottom down oxfords with a pocket in a regular fit. It sounds like you have inadvertently gotten some of their slim fit European style shirts. Bill
Thank you so much for enjoying it , Wab . It is very relieving to know that Brook's Brothers makes their new Oxford Cloth Button Down Collar Dress Shirts with a breast pocket. They get imported into Bangladesh through quite a few dealers and l suppose that l was just unfortunate that the shop l went to recently , only had the slim fit shirts without the breast pocket . I absolutely LOVE Brook's Brothers Oxford Cloth Button Down Collar Dress Shirts . I have some shirts from them , in my wardrobe which go back 30 years and still look as good as new.

Reactions: WAB
Major Khan,
All this has raised some questions in my mind. I can’t remember ever asking him about or even discussing his fondness for the smaller calibers. If I did I have forgotten or if I didn’t then certainly an opportunity missed on my part. I do remember his natural ability with both rifle and shotgun. But not the specifics of caliber/gauge choice. Do you recall if he talked about or referenced either O’Connor or WDM Bell? Seems logical to wonder about...
Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg