Greetings from California (Yes, I moved) - Time to get serious chasing my elephant dream

Welcome aboard!

Hello elephantmaster29,

Khomas Highland Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

When you have a spare moment, take a peep at our web site.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.
Thanks for sending this over. I loved the website. I didn't see the info on elephant, but freel free to give me a message here or whatsapp and we can discuss. Still in the exploring stages, but committed to elephant. Thanks

Welcome!

Following along as I'm also interested in specific info on importable bulls

I'm looking for insights for those of you who have hunted elephant, and what your experience was like with your outfitter. I'm also looking to hear from outfitters about elephant hunts or specials.

As of now, it's time to do some serious training in socal and Utah, If you know a gun range, let me know. I'm newer to hunting so i have lots of questions. Here's to a new year, and a new outlook to getting serious about elephant!

Thank you to some of you who have inspired me.

I have hunted a number of elephants with CMS in Zimbabwe among others. I have a trophy bull hunt scheduled with them next October and would heartily recommend them. ( http://cmsafaris.com/ )

In regard to ranges in SoCal I go to Raahauges ( https://www.raahauges.com/ ). I just request a 50-yard bay which is actually 65 yards or so if shooting from sticks.

In Utah if you are at St. George area you can go to Red Cliff's shooting range ( https://www.redcliffsrange.com/page-18198 ). They have individual bays out to 200 yards.

I have hunted a number of elephants with CMS in Zimbabwe among others. I have a trophy bull hunt scheduled with them next October and would heartily recommend them. ( http://cmsafaris.com/ )

In regard to ranges in SoCal I go to Raahauges ( https://www.raahauges.com/ ). I just request a 50-yard bay which is actually 65 yards or so if shooting from sticks.

In Utah if you are at St. George area you can go to Red Cliff's shooting range ( https://www.redcliffsrange.com/page-18198 ). They have individual bays out to 200 yards.
Thanks for all the great information Tanks!

I wish upon you all the luck in the world with your quest on hunting an Elephant. I had the opportunity to fulfill that dream in 2022, and after several months I am still on cloud no9!
As Sue said, you hunt Elephant with your legs - I can vouch for that. But boy-oh-boy, my heart, brain and guts was put to the test too!

Please keep us posted regarding your research and planning, I for one would love to follow this.

As for a 375H&H for the hunt - it will get the job done. I used 300GR Peregrine VRG-2'S and it took the bull down on the first shot. As with any other hunt, shot placement is key.
And yes, it is definitely one of the most exciting hunts I have done!!
View attachment 508541
Can i message you?

One thing to keep in mind is that, even if you’re able to get your tusks home, you can have a reproduction set made and shipped home way before your ivory gets cleared, if it ever does. For importable ivory, Zimbabwe is probably your very best bet. There are a number of good operations for an elephant bull and some of the best have been mentioned. A few Others worth considering include Mokore Safaris, Thierry Labat, Cliff Walker and Alan Vincent. The latter three all ‘free lance’ and have access to some excellent areas for what you’re seeking. I’d happily hunt with any of them as well as CMS and some others.

One thing to keep in mind is that, even if you’re able to get your tusks home, you can have a reproduction set made and shipped home way before your ivory gets cleared, if it ever does. For importable ivory, Zimbabwe is probably your very best bet. There are a number of good operations for an elephant bull and some of the best have been mentioned. A few Others worth considering include Mokore Safaris, Thierry Labat, Cliff Walker and Alan Vincent. The latter three all ‘free lance’ and have access to some excellent areas for what you’re seeking. I’d happily hunt with any of them as well as CMS and some others.
Thanks so much for the information!

Welcome to AH! Planning is half the fun! If you are interested in our services please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thanks for sending this over. I loved the website. I didn't see the info on elephant, but freel free to give me a message here or whatsapp and we can discuss. Still in the exploring stages, but committed to elephant.
Hi again elephantmaster29,

PM sent.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

It's going to depend on which i can handle the best, and right now it's looking like a 375 H&H, i still have some time to make that decision
Also look at and shoot a 404 Jeff....better for DG especially elephant than a 375 H&H

It's going to depend on which i can handle the best, and right now it's looking like a 375 H&H, i still have some time to make that decision
Anyone can handle any caliber within reason with good technique (as seen below). As @IvW said look at .404J or .458 WM/Lott as well.

If you're shopping for a gun, these days you may want to look at ammo availability before deciding on a caliber too. Be a shame to buy a gun and not be able to get any safari quality ammo. I know swift solids (and many aframes) are particularly difficult to come by for example, regardless of loaded ammo or components

If you're shopping for a gun, these days you may want to look at ammo availability before deciding on a caliber too. Be a shame to buy a gun and not be able to get any safari quality ammo. I know swift solids (and many aframes) are particularly difficult to come by for example, regardless of loaded ammo or components
Spot on @mikecatt13 , especially if you don't reload. I used 470NE on my elephant. Also had 375HH with me. Even those calibers requiring some looking and some luck to find factory ammunition.

@elephantmaster29 best of luck with your planning and training. Step 1 to making your dream a reality is committing to take action! Well done.

Here's the report of my first elephant hunt, back in 2021:

And here's the report on buying my first double:

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MajorBirds

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.