Greetings, from a former PH in the CAR

Good day, Adam! Welcome!

Hello alpinist4life / Adam Parkison,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

I look forward to your stories and photographs.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog / Paul Ard.

View attachment 573841

My last buffalo hunt in CAR as a PH, 2014. I cant believe its already been nearly a decade since I left and now I’m re-visiting “the glory days”… My hunter initially shot this bull the night before with a perfectly placed .458 Lott in the shoulder. For whatever reason, the bullet did not penetrate very deep and only hit one lung (I suspect the soft nosed bullet used had either hit a branch before reaching the buffalo, or had somehow been severely slowed down by bone). The next morning was spent painstakingly following-up on the blood trail in a nasty bako. Ever so often we found evidence of where the bull had let out his rage on small trees in his departure, in way of thrashed up branches and splattered blood.

After hours of moving slowly with all our senses strained forward, I suddenly caught sight of the bull in my periphery as it stood up just to my right. I always maintain that I am a fairly poor shot under good conditions: but under stressful conditions, I always somehow manage to pull my shit together. Reflexively I swiveled around and touched off before my rifle was even on my shoulder. The animal was facing me and my shot was a little too far right, but the bullet managed to hit the bull’s hip joint and successfully turn him. I immediately followed up with another bullet through both shoulders, dropping it. No one else in the hunting party had even seen the bull before it fell by my last shot. That feeling of relief that washed over us as we walked up to the fallen bull as it let out its death bellow is indescribable…

Greetings, my name is Adam Parkison- Once upon a time, I worked as a licensed Professional Hunter in CAR for Erik Mararv (CAWA safaris 2008-2014). I was probably the only American PH there at that time and most likely the youngest.

I wanted to re-introduce myself here for a couple of reasons: First, I wanted to start networking a little with like-minded people. Since I retired from my African hunting career, I have worked in the US as a freelance writer and photographer; some of my stories have appeared in Sports Afield, Sporting Classics, and others. Recently I graduated from Colorado State University with my bachelor’s degree in journalism and media communication. This year, I started my own media company. I hope to travel abroad and begin filming hunting and fishing content for clients in the near future- this is my next step. I have no intention of working as a PH again (I loved the adventures, but now I have two small kiddos and plenty of projects keeping me busy stateside), but I do hope to get enough financial freedom to return to Africa someday as a paying client, hunting with my old PH pals. LDE were a great challenge, but if I had my choice of pursuing only one African animal the rest of my life it would be those ornery dagga boys…

I have recently finished writing a book about my experiences in CAR and am currently negotiating with literary agents for representation. I wanted to go the traditional publishing route in order to reach a larger readership. This particular book is intentionally not solely about hunting, but focuses more on all the adventures me and my colleagues had exploring untouched areas, re-discovering “new” species of animals, the creation of the Chinko Project, the LRA massacre, the unfortunate war, and the larger-than-life people I had the pleasure of working with.

That said, recently on my social media I have had a ton of people reach out requesting a book specifically about my hunting adventures in CAR. Fortunately, I have a collection of stories already previously published in various magazines, and the limited publishing rights for these stories are now over. I have seriously considered self-publishing a limited run of these stories in book form. Don’t get me wrong, I humbly realize I worked with some legendary PHs who have FAR better stories and careers than I did; however, I think as a young American with the opportunities I had there, I am in a unique position to tell a story not often heard.

I wanted to put my feelers out here and gauge any potential interest community members might have in reading such a book. But more importantly, I wanted to ask permission (from Jerome and other moderators) about promoting something like that here; I obviously wish to respect community guidelines and avoid annoying people.

In the meantime, use this thread to share a photo that represents your fondest or craziest or happiest adventure in Africa…

Thanks in advance.

Happy hunting

/Adam
Hi Adam. First of all congratulations on finishing your first book. Believe me, I know the work that goes into it . As for a book just about your hunting adventures, I can’t speak for everyone but I would bet many hunters would be interested in that. It seems that huntings love living the hunting adventures of others almost as much as their own. There is always more to learn and each hunting experience is so different…especially in different countries. If you decide to go the self-publishing route, feel free to reach out to me. I self-published my book and also just finished putting it in audiobook and narrated it myself. I am not an expert on the subject of self-publishing but I can tell you the mistakes that I made. . Anyway, welcome to the forum and I wish you much luck with your book. Sue Tidwell

Welcome aboard!

I've not had the pleasure of coming across any of your articles yet, but I look forward to reading your future ones here or in your book. Welcome back.

Welcome (back) as others have said, and I would be interested in reading your stories about your time in CAR.

Hi Adam. First of all congratulations on finishing your first book. Believe me, I know the work that goes into it . As for a book just about your hunting adventures, I can’t speak for everyone but I would bet many hunters would be interested in that. It seems that huntings love living the hunting adventures of others almost as much as their own. There is always more to learn and each hunting experience is so different…especially in different countries. If you decide to go the self-publishing route, feel free to reach out to me. I self-published my book and also just finished putting it in audiobook and narrated it myself. I am not an expert on the subject of self-publishing but I can tell you the mistakes that I made. . Anyway, welcome to the forum and I wish you much luck with your book. Sue Tidwell
Hi Sue! Thanks for your message

First- where can I find your book?

Secondly, I would be glad to get any tips from your experiences going the self-publishing route! I have also considered narrating my own audio-version as well. I took some podcast and audio classes in school, which has made me a little more confident in trying to tackle this. Who did you end up using as your print provider for the manuscript itself? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! (I tried to message you directly but couldn't figure it out)

Thanks, take care

/Adam

Hi Sue! Thanks for your message

First- where can I find your book?

Secondly, I would be glad to get any tips from your experiences going the self-publishing route! I have also considered narrating my own audio-version as well. I took some podcast and audio classes in school, which has made me a little more confident in trying to tackle this. Who did you end up using as your print provider for the manuscript itself? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! (I tried to message you directly but couldn't figure it out)

Thanks, take care

/Adam
Hi Adam, First of all, Cries of the Savanna is available at Amazon and most retailers in softcover, hardcover, and audiobook. I also sell signed copies from my website (my name.com) but the print copies are a bit more expensive since I have to charge shipping. The audiobooks are actually less expensive from my website.

I formatted my book with a program called Atticus and then used Amazon as my only distributor at first. Only recently did I make it available at other places. Quite honestly, they are the least expensive even for your "author copies". In other words, you would put it for sale on Amazon (just download the contents, cover, etc to their specs....and there are lots of resources to help you do this. I can tell you who I used). Then if you want to sell copies yourself, you order "author copies". For those, you will only pay the cost of printing them.There are also some companies will help you with the whole process BUT talk to me first. Some are great...and others are NOT. Of course, this takes money all depending on the length of your book. But I know some authors who are really happy with the help that they got. It cost them about $3,000 I think. Being so new to this and since my subject matter was about hunting, I was afraid to trust them....so I did it the hard way.... I'm not sure if Im allowed to put my email here. I can't figure out how to do a private message either. Send me a note on my website (just click the "contact me") and I'll give you my phone number. It will be much easier to talk about all of this. All the best. Sue

Last edited:
Hello @alpinist4life and good to see you on AH! I recently heard about your new book from Mike Fell while hunting with him in the Maswa Game Reserve in Tanzania last month. Seems maybe you worked alongside Mike in CAR?

I, too, have a crazy story about hunting in the CAR for bongo with Jacques Lemaux in 2016. We were attacked by a remnant group of LRA and barely lived to tell about it. It’s a story that will be a part of my book someday.

Like you, I also matriculated at CSU and I live on a ranch near Livermore, just northwest of Fort Collins. If you’re still in the area, we should get together and swap tales. I’ve been an outfitter in Colorado for 32 years.

Cheers,
Scott

Yes I did write that! One of my first stories

I remember that article, well written sir. I, along with many others here, would love to read your book.

Hello @alpinist4life and good to see you on AH! I recently heard about your new book from Mike Fell while hunting with him in the Maswa Game Reserve in Tanzania last month. Seems maybe you worked alongside Mike in CAR?

I, too, have a crazy story about hunting in the CAR for bongo with Jacques Lemaux in 2016. We were attacked by a remnant group of LRA and barely lived to tell about it. It’s a story that will be a part of my book someday.

Like you, I also matriculated at CSU and I live on a ranch near Livermore, just northwest of Fort Collins. If you’re still in the area, we should get together and swap tales. I’ve been an outfitter in Colorado for 32 years.

Cheers,
Scott
Yes, I did work with Mike! He is a treasure to the profession and I’m grateful I got to learn from him. I also remember reading about your incident in 2016- scary stuff, glad you made it out. It’s a different world over there, and people back home will never understand it. The LRA killed some of the locals i personally knew. Just tragic … I currently live in Glenwood Springs, I’d love to chat and swap stories some day

Yes, I did work with Mike! He is a treasure to the profession and I’m grateful I got to learn from him. I also remember reading about your incident in 2016- scary stuff, glad you made it out. It’s a different world over there, and people back home will never understand it. The LRA killed some of the locals i personally knew. Just tragic … I currently live in Glenwood Springs, I’d love to chat and swap stories some day
Yes, it would be fun to meet. Our family has a condo in Vail so if I’m headed that way this winter, I will let you know. If you’re ever headed to Fort Collins, let me know.

I can't wait to read your book!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BettieGaro

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning