Got something a little different on the way.....

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Probably better known across the pond in Europe, but I snagged a very hard to find Mannlicher Schoenauer M72 bolt action rifle.

They were made for close to 5 years beginning in 1972. I have only seen a couple come up for bid in quite some time, I bid on one previously but was outbid. Not this time!
Pretty decent deal I think in reality. Its in 7x64 a metric version of the .280 Remington, no more, no less. Comes with a Bushnell scope that will find its way to the pile of other dimestore scopes and be replaced with something more fitting.
Scope sits in EAW pivot mounts which are pretty neat and not cheap. I remember when I first went to Africa, both my PH and the other Austrian gent sharing the hunt carried Steyr S rifles and both had these mounts installed. The PH rifle was a .375 while the other fella had his in 8x68s.

So here is a link to read up on the rifle and its history. Been looking forward to playing with one of these for a long time, now just must wait for it to get here.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 9.39.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 9.39.43 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 94
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 9.39.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 9.39.44 AM.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 95
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 9.39.44 AM 1.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 9.39.44 AM 1.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 90
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 9.39.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 9.39.47 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 84
Wow, post pics when you get yours.

A 72 model would be nice to have being I'm from 72 myself.

7x64 threads lead me to reading up on the .280 & .280ai.

It would be nice to have any of those in an original classic rifle.

Only payment option was CC so it wont take forever to get here at least. I will surely post up some pics when I have it, probably early next week if things go well at all.
I have owned a couple of .280 Rems and at least 3 other 7x64's and all shot well.
In fact I still have a Zastava M70 in 7x64 and once I confirm that the M72 will shoot I will likely put the other on Gunbroker.

Very nice. Good decision on the scope. I have never heard of someone mounting a hundred dollar scope in thousand dollar mounts. There’s got to be a back story there!

Very nice. Good decision on the scope. I have never heard of someone mounting a hundred dollar scope in thousand dollar mounts. There’s got to be a back story there!
I dont think the mounts are that valuable but its common to throw a cheapo scope on a rifle to sell it. The theory being most folks wont pay the value of an expensive scope on a rifle and usually have their own they would rather use anyway, so just put a cheapo on and dump it.

Actually I think the pivot mounts on the rifle I have coming are not EAW but rather the Steyr version. I was confusing them with another article I was reading.

Reactions: WAB
I dont think the mounts are that valuable but its common to throw a cheapo scope on a rifle to sell it. The theory being most folks wont pay the value of an expensive scope on a rifle and usually have their own they would rather use anyway, so just put a cheapo on and dump it.

I seem to recall them being pretty dang close to a grand if NECG fits them for you.

I seem to recall them being pretty dang close to a grand if NECG fits them for you.
May well be but as above I dont think these are EAW but rather Steyr Quick Detachable mounts. I believe they are long out of production and scarce these days, but not as expensive as EAW.
Found some pics online to confirm.

So long as they are good mounts you won't be chasing a set.

Near the bottom of the linked article above, it shows the same mount as on the rifle I just bought.

can u get different ring size for those mounts, else you are limited to what is probably 1inch tube

i bought a similar rifle recently but it had a scope that was mounted on the front end of scope so 50mm ring. i know this is common in europe but not in SA
had to change the whole mount etc

Congrats on the MS. These M72 MS's are something unique. They are the cross over from the older MS's to the newer Steyr Mannlichers (now just Steyr). The quality on these firearms are exceptional and great caliber pairing on the MS a well.

can u get different ring size for those mounts, else you are limited to what is probably 1inch tube

i bought a similar rifle recently but it had a scope that was mounted on the front end of scope so 50mm ring. i know this is common in europe but not in SA
had to change the whole mount etc
Perhaps, but I am quite happy with a 1" tube.

Congratulations sestoppelman! That 7x64 should be a dandy to have. I've a long love affair with Mannlicher-Schoenauers and wanted a M72 but, have never been able to come across one in a chambering I'd have.

Congratulations sestoppelman! That 7x64 should be a dandy to have. I've a long love affair with Mannlicher-Schoenauers and wanted a M72 but, have never been able to come across one in a chambering I'd have.
It will be delivered today but if too late I will have to till tomorrow to grab it.

I have only seen two of these rifles up for bid, they are quite rare here.

Well it showed and not too late to snag so I have it in hand. Condition is not quite what was expected, has several areas of light pitting and blue loss on the barrel and one pretty good ding on the stock. The ding was mentioned in the listing but not shown, and I did ask the seller for a pic of it but they didnt answer me.
The pitting was neither mentioned nor shown in the listing. I have let the seller know I am not amused.
Bore looks great, stock is otherwise fine.
In the article I posted above, he states in there that only the half stock 7x64 had two barrel lengths, 23.6 and 25.6 and this one is the longer, 25.6 inches so I like that, not only a good length but probably rarer.
The receiver lug and most of the barrel channel have been bedded, not perfect but probably adequate. It was quite tight in the stock, took some wiggling to get it out.
Has an interesting action bolt system. You remove two tiny machine screw that hold the floorplate/ trigger guard to two larger action screws that are tapped for these little screws. Takes a big flat blade screwdriver to back the big screws out.
The floorplate is not meant to be a dropping or latching affair. Rounds are placed into the action thru the port and come out the same way by means of depressing a latch, and they then unwind into to the hand, probably takes a bit of practice, havent tried it yet.
The scope is a lighted Bushnell in Steyr pivot ring mounts, which are expensive and good, so some value in the rings, the scope not so much.
I found a nice deal on Ebay for a 6x42 Kahles scope.
Austrian rifle must have an Austrian scope!

I will try to post up a few pics tomorrow.

Here is a couple pics, took the cheapo Bushnell off and have as temporary a Zeiss 3-9x until the Kahles arrives.
This rifle is true CRF despite it not having a long Mauser extractor, it works the same way. It picks up the round into the open bottom bolt face and the extractor holds it while chambering and the bolt does not have to be turned down to hold it. Retract the bolt and the round comes back with it still held.
Hope to shoot it on Monday if my range is still operating, EPA seems real close to shutting it down for a clean up.
IMG_2869.JPG

IMG_2870.JPG

IMG_2863.JPG

IMG_2864.JPG

IMG_2867.JPG

IMG_2868.JPG

Congrats.
Now go shoot something with it.

Very interesting about the floorplate removal. Hate that it's faults weren't fully disclosed but, it still looks good. Since the safety is a bit different in operation than most, is it hampered with a scope mounted?

Very interesting about the floorplate removal. Hate that it's faults weren't fully disclosed but, it still looks good. Since the safety is a bit different in operation than most, is it hampered with a scope mounted?
Not really. I like tang or side thumb safeties best so it would take a bit of getting used to I suppose.
It can be put on safe without being cocked as well, which is unusual.
This rifle is very slick in operation and will feed empty cases from the mag.
Being a rotary magazine, its a little odd in that you dont try to stagger rounds like a conventional action, but put them all in from the left side of the mag well and they find their way from there.
With scope mounted it weighs just a hair under 8.5#. Barrel measures just over .6" at the muzzle so not a pencil barrel either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noah8899

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg