Good Idea? Or a Solution looking for a problem?

Sourdough

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Joined
Jun 24, 2022
Messages
875
Reaction score
5,676
Media
36
Hunting reports
Africa
4
Member of
AK WSF, AMM, DSC, GOA, GRAA, NRA, PHASA, SCI, WRSA, WSF, TUSK
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Argentina, Canada, England, France, Macedonia, Mexico, Serbia, Alaska, USA
Daughter sent me this link. I'm not a bow hunter, and I'm surprised this company chose to market only to bow hunters, but I'm trying to figure out if in general I like this product or not. Battery not needed as it gets its power from the "presence" of your cell phone (that's a little disturbing). Looking forward to seeing your thoughts.

https://bowqwest.com
 
You could apply that technology to pretty much anything.. Im betting they have other "tags" out there that are the exact same thing, only with a different name and logo on them.. otherwise they would be secluding themselves to such a small market that it would be almost impossible for them to make any reasonable amount of money..

For example.. you could do the same thing with a "vacation" tag.. spend a week in Bora Bora, and link everything about your trip digitally to the tag... or hike the entire Appalachian Trail and link everything about that experience digitally to the tag..

Or do the same thing with a a rifle hunt.. (no reason for it to be limited to a bow).. etc..etc..

Kind of a neat concept I think.. that might appeal to younger generations..

For me, I prefer hard copy... Most memorable trips, whether a hunt, or a family vacation, etc.. We come back and create a photo album/coffee table book.. we send dozens (if not 100 or more) pics off to a printer and have a book made to secure the memories.. we add in notes that advise of the time, location, key events, etc.. We've probably got a dozen or more of them at this point.. and now that the house is pretty full of taxidermy, curios, mementos, etc.. and we plan on downsizing at some point in the next few years (last kid leaves the house soon.. and we intend on trading sq footage for acreage).. we'll have even less wall space available.. so we'll probably start doing even more of the books when we travel (and bring home less "stuff")...
 
Ehh maybe

I think the mount idea makes more sense. Could be cool if you had a big trophy room. Friends and visitors could scan and learn about the trophy and hunt.
 
That would complement the video tapes and CDs of past life experiences, that are never watched.
Yep, a solution looking for a problem. YMMV.
 
Probably appeals to a generation younger than myself.
I have no interest in this whatsoever-solution looking for a problem
 
I'm actually a bit in contrast with the previous opinions.
Yes, I have mounts at home. Yes, I wrote another 100-page book on my safari. Yes, I also ordered some single-print pictures in large sizes.

But I also have quite a few videos of my safaris. From the very edited 3 min long full overview, to clips of a few seconds with some shenanigans in. I have no easy way to store these and share them with whoever wants to have a look. So they go unwatched and remain on my PC.

This product has nothing to do with mounts or hunting or anything. It is just a cloud service that allows you to upload and store media, for easy sharing with others. Now will this be available in 40 years, for my children and grandchildren? That is the real question. If it is well presented, and they will still exist in 50 years + time, it would be a great backup/storage solution for all those pictures and videos we take and then remain on our personal pc or smartphone. This way someone might actually be able to appreciate them.

However, I would probably look to the likes of a mastodon like Google, Amazon or Meta, for such a service, to ensure that in decades this will all still be available. And presented in a nice format for future generations.

So in short, great idea, although I'd look to see for one of the tech giants to provide the same service.
 
Check out - https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/journi-blog-travel-tracker/id884030844 - the Journi Blog app.

Heard about it on the big game hunting podcast. Can easily make a photo book and share your trip with your friends/family while traveling. Apparently, you can choose who sees which photos.

Trying to figure out my taxidermy plans for this September in Namibia - kudu, gemsbok, impala, wildebeest, and eland. Leaning towards dip and pack and having the taxidermy done here in Alberta. Was thinking of euro mounts only but my wife has surprisingly encouraged me to consider shoulder mounts are capes. Would rather spend money on hunts than mounts but these are some beautiful animals.

Considering a video of my hunt as well - I’ll watch it whether anyone else does :)
 
I do it the old fashioned way with wordprocessor and inserted digital images. The stories will eventually be put on a CD with nice menu program. Those can be bought cheap or even downloaded free. Menu opens automatically when the disk is loaded. I'm sure I could download it to some site if inclined. Maybe someday. But my stories are for my family, not public.


Chapter Two-page-001.jpg

Chapter Two-page-002.jpg
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,413
Messages
1,575,387
Members
170,305
Latest member
JessieKopp
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top