Good African Safari Shirt?

To ward off tsetse flies you best wear something cotton and with some weight to it. They can easily bite through a nylon type of shirt, trust me, I learned this in Uganda this year.

Bush shirt from Calebs is my favorite, but I don't believe they make them anymore. The Expedition shirt from Westley Richards are the nicest, I love mine, but they are heavy, hot and expensive.

While YancyW is correct about Westley Richards Shirts you will find them one of the best for Tsete flies given their thickness. I have three long sleeve that I always take if I know Tsetse flies will be present. Incredible quality. Having said the above…Tsetse flies can in the end bite through anything. At least these shirts greatly cut down their bites but anticipate you will still get a few.

Heavy cotton on olive colour
Wont rip

Image1716984714.049136.jpg

Like this

Of course, answers here are like shu-wee-holes, we all have one. BUT, ya don't need the ultra fancy, high dollar statement attire. Just take our fella hunter, checked bag was lost and he hunted in what he wore on the trip over, fortunately he had a few extra clothes in his carry-on and I was able to front him a few items. Laugh and learn, gym clothes will work.
IMG_20230814_032327232_HDR.jpg

I wear long sleeve cotton t's from Bass Pro Shop, I buy 10 or more at a time, all drab colors, comfortable, protects me from the sun (melanoma survivor) I can use them as a rag if needed, as they are cheap. They aren't too hot despite being cotton. I have probably 30 of them in my drawer.

The more I travel the simpler I get, no more fancy clothes for me. Simple shoes, shorts or pants and cotton t's

I like 5.11

I picked up a ton of these in khaki and olive when I was doing contract work in Iraq and Afghanistan… several are still in the “hunting closet” and get used routinely…

Tough durable shirts that are fairly comfortable…

A handful of the ones I’m still wearing (albeit a bit ragged these days) are literally 20 years old, and got worn several times a week for the first few years after I got them (picked them up when I went over in May 2004 for a particular contract I was on)…

Of course, answers here are like shu-wee-holes, we all have one. BUT, ya don't need the ultra fancy, high dollar statement attire. Just take our fella hunter, checked bag was lost and he hunted in what he wore on the trip over, fortunately he had a few extra clothes in his carry-on and I was able to front him a few items. Laugh and learn, gym clothes will work.View attachment 609382
Was that in fly country?

Those given to me by my Outfitters, heavy cotton, olive.

Recently hunted in the Thabazimbi area as well and wore Sitka's equinox line with insect repellent. Only pulled off 2 ticks the whole trip and one of those from my beard my PH pulled about a dozen off most days. The shirt worked well but is light so you need a jacket in the mornings. The pants didn't do so well they have a inner lining that tucks into your boot to help keep tick out that was a good idea. But they just weren't tough enough for Africa and started to get shredded and I switched to my Duluth pants much better suited. Also wore a kuiu Gila shirt with UPF sun protection that worked great. Couple options for any guys like me who don't do button up shirts for hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottlinks

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt