Good 350 legend options

I hear what youre saying.... but....

I'd offer that an AR is no different than any other semi auto "hunting" rifle if you configure it similarly..

The browning BAR Mark II has been very successful as a "hunting rifle".. As has the Remington 742 Woodsmaster.. and many others..

You can limit the AR in 350 legend to 5 rounds just like the Mark II and Woodsmaster (for what its worth, there are 10 and 20 round mags for the Mark II and Woodsmaster out there just like there are for the AR in 350 Legend)..

The argument really isn't any different than the current 6.5 creedmore debate that's gone on in a couple of threads here recently..

The rifle and the caliber is nothing more than a tool... the USER is the thing that needs to be questioned if they are using the tool improperly.. If I want to be irresponsible with my Rem 600 mohawk, I can rack the bolt as fast as possible, not get a good sight picture, and just squeeze off the next round hoping to hit something... no different than if I were deploying one of the ARs in the safe.. the AR just allows me to do the same thing marginally faster (but no more or less irresponsibly)..

What the AR brings that a Mark II, or a 742 (and most other rifles) doesn't is versatility combined with affordability.. you can put a 3-9x optic on it, put a 5 round magazine in it, and hunt with it legally in pretty much every state in the union.. then pull the optic, throw on a red dot, drop in a 30 round mag, and use it for home defense... then pull the red dot, slap on a low power variable like a 1-4x optic, keep the 30 round mag, and take it out after sounders of hogs, etc..etc.. and do all of that with less than $700 invested in the rifle (if you choose to go with basic components)

I get that some people don't like the "look".. and others being traditionalists, don't like the idea that "hunting" is indeed changing... more and more people are taking "black rifles", long range rifles, and all sort of techno gadgets to the field to do everything from help them find game (thermals, drones, etc) or to help them better understand field conditions, communicate, etc (barometers, GPS, radios, rangefinders, wind instruments, etc..).. none of that was available even 30 years ago... and somehow we all managed to kill deer, elk, etc.. just fine..

But the truth is.. hunting is indeed changing.. we can resist it, and find that we have less and less ability to influence the future.. or we can embrace it (choosing not to participate in those sorts of things doesn't mean we cant try to understand it, support it when done in a legal and ethical manner, etc.. and continue to encourage legal/ethical/moral hunting)...

The other advantage to an AR platform, as distateful as it is to many is... familiarity... everyone that has served in the US armed forces, and the majority of law enforcement in the US has at a minimum had fundamental training with the platform.. they will know it far better than they will know and understand a typical bolt action rifle... and chances are, if you're dealing with a city dweller (and many country boys as well).. if they have ever spent any time on a range with friends.. they have spent time shooting an AR (its far and away the most popular and most sold platform in the US, and has been for quite some time at this point).. .where it is entirely possibly they would need to be trained from the ground up if they get handed a bolt gun...

Dont get me wrong... I am NOT an AR hunter (other than hogs).. My go-to deer rifle is the little Rem 600 mohawk listed above.. my go-to Africa rifle is my Win 70 .375 H&H... etc..etc.. (I hunt almost exclusively with bolt actions..)..

Im just saying if you have a guy who is 1) budget constrained, 2) experience limited, 3) caliber limited, and 4) might benefit from a single platform that can perform numerous tasks (home defense, hunting, plinking, etc).... that an AR is IMO an exceptional option..

Whether or not he is ethical is really the only question.. telling someone "you want to be humane... you only take shots you KNOW are going to drop the deer... you only take shots that are within your range and skill capability", etc.. should be all it takes.. Hunters go to the field with the bolt action rifles with 3-5 rounds in the magazine every day of deer season.. they also should adhere to that guidance.. the additional rounds are only for fixing mistakes (unintended).. no different than the AR's extra rounds..

If a guy is unethical.. well.. he's just unethical... what weapons platform he has in his hands is inconsequential..
Then there are some of us to whom a pistol grip only belongs on a pistol. Maybe us old codgers?
There is also the possibility that ARs in the hunting field would give hunters a unfavorable look to some of the public? If you like them, by all means use them, just beware some view them as evil. I’m not in that group.

I completely understand what youre saying... and agree there is an irrational group among the general public that seem to believe that objects have the ability to be either good or evil..

but that still doesn't change the truth.... the truth is more and more and more "hunters" are moving to an AR platform by the day.. that its far and away the most popular rifle in the US (outsells all other rifles combined).. and that regardless of how non hunters and the current (older) generation of hunters view them, this trend will continue for the foreseeable future..

So we, the old codgers (I am one as well) have a choice to make.. we can either reject them, and further divide our own tribe and further alienate ourselves from the next generation who we would like to pass our legacy on to... or we can accept them and gear our conversations toward those who use them on what ethical hunting looks like (regardless of the tool chosen), on how to actually "hunt" rather than just "shoot" at something that they think might be in range, etc..etc..

For the non hunters that view them as "evil".. I guess my position is "who cares".. they hate hunting.. they hate "assault rifles".. and as a rule arent proponents of many of the freedoms we were brought up to love and cherish.. History shows us that if you give those groups an inch, they will not be satisfied and will continue to push for the mile.. rather than kowtow to their views and worry about their opinions.. I think the far better approach is to prove them wrong... Train the next generation.. educate them.. turn them into ethical hunters and conservationists while allowing them to use the tools they choose to use... We choose bolt actions and lever actions as a rule among our generation... are we unethical? our predecessors used muskets... and their predecessors used bows and spears..

Things change.. systems advance..

We can change with them... and try to help control the pace and the manner in which the changes occur with the intent of keeping things ethical and moral... or we can sit back and simply get run over by the change like an opossum sitting in the middle of the interstate watching the mack truck approach at 85 mph.. .

Gentlemen, I wasn’t trying to start a fight, but pointing out some opinions. Personally, I’m in the middle, I’m a blue steel & walnut guy. I have shot ARs & they are a hoot, a pistol grip is uncomfortable to me on a long gun, but that’s a personal thing. If you like them, I’m all for your choice.

Last edited:
I hear what youre saying.... but....

I'd offer that an AR is no different than any other semi auto "hunting" rifle if you configure it similarly..

The browning BAR Mark II has been very successful as a "hunting rifle".. As has the Remington 742 Woodsmaster.. and many others..

You can limit the AR in 350 legend to 5 rounds just like the Mark II and Woodsmaster (for what its worth, there are 10 and 20 round mags for the Mark II and Woodsmaster out there just like there are for the AR in 350 Legend)..

The argument really isn't any different than the current 6.5 creedmore debate that's gone on in a couple of threads here recently..

The rifle and the caliber is nothing more than a tool... the USER is the thing that needs to be questioned if they are using the tool improperly.. If I want to be irresponsible with my Rem 600 mohawk, I can rack the bolt as fast as possible, not get a good sight picture, and just squeeze off the next round hoping to hit something... no different than if I were deploying one of the ARs in the safe.. the AR just allows me to do the same thing marginally faster (but no more or less irresponsibly)..

What the AR brings that a Mark II, or a 742 (and most other rifles) doesn't is versatility combined with affordability.. you can put a 3-9x optic on it, put a 5 round magazine in it, and hunt with it legally in pretty much every state in the union.. then pull the optic, throw on a red dot, drop in a 30 round mag, and use it for home defense... then pull the red dot, slap on a low power variable like a 1-4x optic, keep the 30 round mag, and take it out after sounders of hogs, etc..etc.. and do all of that with less than $700 invested in the rifle (if you choose to go with basic components)

I get that some people don't like the "look".. and others being traditionalists, don't like the idea that "hunting" is indeed changing... more and more people are taking "black rifles", long range rifles, and all sort of techno gadgets to the field to do everything from help them find game (thermals, drones, etc) or to help them better understand field conditions, communicate, etc (barometers, GPS, radios, rangefinders, wind instruments, etc..).. none of that was available even 30 years ago... and somehow we all managed to kill deer, elk, etc.. just fine..

But the truth is.. hunting is indeed changing.. we can resist it, and find that we have less and less ability to influence the future.. or we can embrace it (choosing not to participate in those sorts of things doesn't mean we cant try to understand it, support it when done in a legal and ethical manner, etc.. and continue to encourage legal/ethical/moral hunting)...

The other advantage to an AR platform, as distateful as it is to many is... familiarity... everyone that has served in the US armed forces, and the majority of law enforcement in the US has at a minimum had fundamental training with the platform.. they will know it far better than they will know and understand a typical bolt action rifle... and chances are, if you're dealing with a city dweller (and many country boys as well).. if they have ever spent any time on a range with friends.. they have spent time shooting an AR (its far and away the most popular and most sold platform in the US, and has been for quite some time at this point).. .where it is entirely possibly they would need to be trained from the ground up if they get handed a bolt gun...

Dont get me wrong... I am NOT an AR hunter (other than hogs).. My go-to deer rifle is the little Rem 600 mohawk listed above.. my go-to Africa rifle is my Win 70 .375 H&H... etc..etc.. (I hunt almost exclusively with bolt actions..)..

Im just saying if you have a guy who is 1) budget constrained, 2) experience limited, 3) caliber limited, and 4) might benefit from a single platform that can perform numerous tasks (home defense, hunting, plinking, etc).... that an AR is IMO an exceptional option..

Whether or not he is ethical is really the only question.. telling someone "you want to be humane... you only take shots you KNOW are going to drop the deer... you only take shots that are within your range and skill capability", etc.. should be all it takes.. Hunters go to the field with the bolt action rifles with 3-5 rounds in the magazine every day of deer season.. they also should adhere to that guidance.. the additional rounds are only for fixing mistakes (unintended).. no different than the AR's extra rounds..

If a guy is unethical.. well.. he's just unethical... what weapons platform he has in his hands is inconsequential..

I apologize. I stand corrected. I used AR as a euphemism I have used bars and the various Remington semi autos. (I said coke instead of pop) lol. But in today’s political time not a good idea.

I learned how to shot with a single shot 410 and I believe it made me a better shot. To most people until they get some experience a bolt is probably a 1 or two shot deal at a coyote. I have seen guys with semi auto rifles literally try to walk it in to a running coyote. To me not a practice I want to help out.

I've got a Ruger model. Love it. It is a 150 yd. max gun. Good deer and hog rifle. Mine like 170 gr. bullets better than 150 gr. bullets.

About a 1 1/2' group at 100 yds.

I've got a Ruger model. Love it. It is a 150 yd. max gun. Good deer and hog rifle. Mine like 170 gr. bullets better than 150 gr. bullets.

About a 1 1/2' group at 100 yds.
That about what mine does, my xpr will keep them at about 1 inch.

My 350 legend is built on at AR platform…

In a 16” barrel semi auto gas gun you’re talking recoil below the typical .243 level… and 30-30 type ballistics out to 150 yards…

You can easily get into a 350 upper of decent quality for less than $300.. and a well built lower for another $200… throw an affordable optic on it in an affordable cantilever mount and you’re hunting for less than $700 all in…

And if he doesn’t get into hunting… he’s got a “fun” rifle that he can plink with, defend the home with, etc… that if he so desires, can spend another $250, and add a .223 upper to…

Or.. if he already owns an AR, just get the 350 upper and he’s good to go…
Love my ar in 350 legend get all u need from bear creak arsenal

I teach Hunter's Education in Georgia. Some of our material refers to "AR's" Modern Sporting Rifles.

I teach them as Semi-Automatic rifles with all the rest of the semi-automatic rifles, because there is really, no functional difference. And us "old codgers" need to get used to them in the woods, because they are becoming more and more common in hunting calibers (like the .350 Legend).

Check out the Browning BAR Hog Stalker or the BAR MK 3 DBM (someone will start making 20-30 rd. magazines for them, if the guns get popular)

I still don't think is wise to hunt with 20-30 rounds of ammo in the gun, except for special circumstances, but when the "anti's" ban the "black rifles" then they will be after your 10/22.

Don't kid yourself!

Have a BCA 6.5 Grendel upper for hunting, but I haven't use it.

I still don't think is wise to hunt with 20-30 rounds of ammo in the gun, except for special circumstances

I completely agree…

My 350 Legend and 458 SOCOM ARs were both built for hog eradication… so when that is the task, 20 round mags go in them (special circumstance)… but if/when loaned out to someone for a deer hunt… they get delivered with a 5 round mag… (same number of rounds my 308 bolt gun holds)…

Have a BCA 6.5 Grendel upper for hunting, but I haven't use it.

When you get a chance to use it, report back and let us know how it works!

@Mark Biggerstaff recommend the 6.5g a few years back when I was planning on building a bacon buster.. but I came across the 350 upper mentioned above super cheap, so I went that route instead…

I’ve still got another finished lower in the safe that I haven’t got a dedicated upper assigned to… I’ve recently thought a 6.5 Grendel might be a fun option

In Georgia, your limit is 5 in a shotgun (for non-game, deer and turkey) but 3 for upland, small game, and waterfowl.

With a rifle, you can hunt with a drum magazine! (Not, that I approve)

I have a Mossberg Partiot (about $400) leupold 350 legend scope (because well, just because..)
Shot a management buck at about 60 yds. No complaints,
I have no idea why the Mossberg is overlooked, but I think it's about the lowest priced rifle in 350 L?

Mine's just over 1 inch at 100 with factory loads, though I admit I haven't taken the time to try differnet loads, etc. It was VERY hot the day I was sighting in my rifles, i have a few and it was HOT, so I set or checked them and called it a day....

I have a Winchester XPR, and like others I get 1” to 1.5” groups at 100 yds with Hornady 170gr interlocks and AA5744 powder.

It is a great gun for the money…paid $500 or so plus a bit more for scope bases and rings, and I threw on a Leupold VX-3i I had laying around.

I’ve hunted with an AR before…they are more “clunky” to carry into a stand compared to a sleek bolt action or single shot. Yes, I am part of the old school crowd when it comes to firearms!

@Jamie D Van Roekel

I'm not a big fan of Weatherby Rifles, but they are a quality product and accurate...even in the Vanguard model. You would be hard pressed to find a better value and this rifle has the potential to be a hand me down for generations...or as long as the bureaucrats see fit to hamstring you with the straight wall law.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/965448752

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 10.05.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 10.05.12 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 10.05.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 10.05.14 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 48
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 10.05.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 10.05.16 AM.png
    645 KB · Views: 50
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 10.05.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 10.05.18 AM.png
    599.9 KB · Views: 41
Helped a new hunter get his first deer, first buck, this past fall in KS. He was using a 350 Legend on an AR platform he had put together. Believe he was shooting factory 225gr loads. He took this buck at 74yd with 1 perfect shot. Buck went about 20yd after the shot and fell over. Spot and stalk, not a treestand or blind.
This was a new hunter who likes the AR rifles. I didn't care what platform he was shooting, I just wanted him to make a clean shot on whatever he used. Offered to let him use my CZ in 270Win, but he wanted to use his rifle. Based on his caliber choices, all on an AR, the 350 was what I suggested he used. Other options were the 6.5 Grendel, 223, 300 BLK, or my 458 SOCOM upper.
We talked about the ballistics of his options, the realistic potential ranges he would be capable of taking the shot at (both him and the cartridge), and why this would be his best option based on all that. Seemed to work out splendidly on this whitetail. And there's another hunter that's been added to the fold; with an AR. I'm a happy blued steel and walnut fellow hunter!
20221204_152311 rszd.jpg

I live in IA & up until a few years ago we were straightwall (now we can use bottlenecks .35+). I ran the .357 Max in a 14" T/C Contender pistol for several years. When we were finally allowed to use pistol cartridge rifles, I ordered a 24" MGM barrel in .357 Max for my Encore rifle. The advantage of the Max (which is admittedly a handloaders rig) is that it was spec'd for a .358 bullet not the .355 of the "legend." There are some barrel makers that are chambering legends in .358 but not in production rifles that I am aware of. Bullet selection is great, brass can be problematic (I stockpiled many years ago). When IA made .35+ bottlenecks legal, I screwed a Shaw .358 Win barrel on my old Savage.
357maxencore.jpg

My son gave me a Franchi in 350 Legend last year. I didn't take any shots on deer with it but it shoots well. This a 100 yard group with 170grn. bullet. I sighted it in on a cold windy day so I'm sure it can do better.

IMG_20221113_153415076.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know why oh why did they give it a .355 bullet diameter rather than the common .358?

Does anyone know why oh why did they give it a .355 bullet diameter rather than the common .358?
I may be wrong but it seems like I remember that it (whatever caliber it is) maxed out the 223 case. Largest diameter bullet it could handle. I thought it was .357 or .358?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg