Good 350 legend options

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
With the weather in my neck of the woods didn’t get our Christmas shopping done yet. I have a hired man that has never hunted but has done a little shooting. Seems very interested in hunting but doesn’t have much money. Thinking about getting him a 350 legend. He could use it for deer here in Iowa and if I could find a accurate one could use it for short range coyote without much recoil.

What is the best option out there decent trigger, accurate, and doesn’t cost a bunch? Not looking for something fancy can always move up if he takes to hunting.

For some reason the 350 Legend is available primarily in entry level rifles like Winchester XPR and Savage Axis. However these are very accurate rifles but are just not pretty. I hunt in a state that allows straight wall rifles and have been thinking about a Franchi Momentum. However my Savage 220 is doing fine because I never get shots over 50 yards.

My 350 legend is built on at AR platform…

In a 16” barrel semi auto gas gun you’re talking recoil below the typical .243 level… and 30-30 type ballistics out to 150 yards…

You can easily get into a 350 upper of decent quality for less than $300.. and a well built lower for another $200… throw an affordable optic on it in an affordable cantilever mount and you’re hunting for less than $700 all in…

And if he doesn’t get into hunting… he’s got a “fun” rifle that he can plink with, defend the home with, etc… that if he so desires, can spend another $250, and add a .223 upper to…

Or.. if he already owns an AR, just get the 350 upper and he’s good to go…

I had never heard of the 350 Legend until you posted this. I assume you are in one of those states with the straight wall case requirement.

Looks like it is available in lower cost bolt actions (might be perfect for your friend) and AR's.

Looking at Federal ballistics, the 180 gr gives you 2100 fps, 9 1/2 drop at 200 yards, and a SD of .202. Generally usually most of time a SD of 200 is considered the absolute minimum for a bullet used on deer. In other words, poor angle shot requiring penetration of a lot of deer or bone to reach the vitals would be problematic. The 200 gr has even more of a rainbow trajectory, but the SD is up to .223 and what was the traditional load for the older .35 caliber rifles. That is what I would use. Keep shots within 150 yards and he should be fine.

Hard to wrap one's head around such bureaucratic nonsense.

Looking at Federal ballistics, the 180 gr gives you 2100 fps, 9 1/2 drop at 200 yards, and a SD of .202. Generally usually most of time a SD of 200 is considered the absolute minimum for a bullet used on deer. In other words, poor angle shot requiring penetration of a lot of deer or bone to reach the vitals would be problematic. The 200 gr has even more of a rainbow trajectory, but the SD is up to .223 and what was the traditional load for the older .35 caliber rifles. That is what I would use. Keep shots within 150 yards and he should be fine.

Hard to wrap one's head around such bureaucratic nonsense.

Yep to all of that…

I consider mine a 150 yards or less hog/deer rifle…

It was primarily built for hogs (20 round magazine full of 180gr .35 projectiles that produce minimal recoil, etc can put hell on an entire sounder before they can escape the area around the feeder)

And I use it as a “loaner” rifle for .mil buddies that come to deer camp over Veterans Day weekend (a platform they are familiar with)…

You’re spot on about bureaucratic BS…basically a “rifle” round that replicates the old .357 Maximum … designed specifically to get around absurd laws in certain states…because the guys passing laws don’t even bother to try to understand ballistics, hunting, or even firearms, before spending tons of tax dollars legislating nonsense that is neither effective or even roughly intelligent at its core…

When I saw a bear creek .350 upper laying on a table at a local gun show for $250… I thought… “how dumb… but… you know… ammo is crazy cheap (about $14 a box at the time)… and.. the hogs will HATE it… so…I bought it lol…

My 350 legend is built on at AR platform…

In a 16” barrel semi auto gas gun you’re talking recoil below the typical .243 level… and 30-30 type ballistics out to 150 yards…

You can easily get into a 350 upper of decent quality for less than $300.. and a well built lower for another $200… throw an affordable optic on it in an affordable cantilever mount and you’re hunting for less than $700 all in…

And if he doesn’t get into hunting… he’s got a “fun” rifle that he can plink with, defend the home with, etc… that if he so desires, can spend another $250, and add a .223 upper to…

Or.. if he already owns an AR, just get the 350 upper and he’s good to go…

Kind of wanted to stay away from a AR to teach him to make the first shot count. But have to say you make a great argument. At short range would be a great home defense gun and for plinking would probably get more practice. Have to ponder that one.

I live in Ohio, so we have the same straight wall BS. Not a huge issue as most hunting is at woods ranges. The .350 has become extremely popular. The state range I shoot at is littered with .350 brass.
I shoot a handgun or a .45/70 rifle but a .350 would be a great choice. A good friend of mine has a Savage 110 in .350 and really likes it. He shoots handloaded 147gr Hornady 9mm handgun bullets for practice and gets good accuracy. He hunts with Maker Bullets (an all copper bullet). A little higher end but I’ve seen a number of people with Christensen Arms rifles in the .350. Suprisingly, seldom see AR’s in it. Most use bolt guns and a couple of Encores with custom barrels.

That’s the upper I picked up… I think 3.. maybe 4 years ago… for $250 out the door at a local gun show… it’s reasonably accurate (2” groups at 100 with factory federal 180gr soft point blue box stuff)… and boringly reliable (never a single bobble)…

Not my first choice for the deer woods.. but fun to shoot.. hell on hogs.. cheap ammo (still less than $20 a box post covid prices).. and a good “loaner” and/or truck gun… for minimal money (I already owned a finished lower that I strapped it to)…

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 7.49.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 7.49.02 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 7.49.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 7.49.06 AM.png
    342.8 KB · Views: 40
I don’t think it’s a bad option. I use to hunt with slugs and sabots. Now close shots were not hard but my brothers and I started shooting out to 200 yds that’s when it got interesting. You see a lot of young people using the 350 legend because it doesn’t kick much.

How about a Henry lever in 44 mag.? I think you could shoot 44 special in it as well. At least it would be something with some looks and character;)

I live in Ohio, so we have the same straight wall BS. Not a huge issue as most hunting is at woods ranges. The .350 has become extremely popular. The state range I shoot at is littered with .350 brass.
I shoot a handgun or a .45/70 rifle but a .350 would be a great choice. A good friend of mine has a Savage 110 in .350 and really likes it. He shoots handloaded 147gr Hornady 9mm handgun bullets for practice and gets good accuracy. He hunts with Maker Bullets (an all copper bullet). A little higher end but I’ve seen a number of people with Christensen Arms rifles in the .350. Suprisingly, seldom see AR’s in it. Most use bolt guns and a couple of Encores with custom barrels.
Smith makes the x frame in 350.

How about a TC Encore or Contender? The 350 Legend will work in either I believe. They make for a very nice carbine. SSK and MGM make custom barrels, and the frames are easy to find on Gunbroker.
The 350 Legend is basically nothing more than a 375 Maximum with no rim.

Ive actually been seriously considering a TC Encore for other reasons..

I've already got an Encore muzzle loader.. and have learned to really like the platform..

I'm thinking an Encore with a 22-250, 308, 45-70, and a 375 H&H barrel.. and then throw a 12 ga barrel in there as well.. and I could literally hunt everything that walks the earth with 1 rifle..

I could also ditch the encore ML, and buy a ML barrel for the "rifle" encore.. and cover down there as well (unfortunately if you buy the ML version, it can only be configured as a ML.. but if you buy the rifle version, you can add shotgun and ML barrels)...

How about a TC Encore or Contender? The 350 Legend will work in either I believe. They make for a very nice carbine. SSK and MGM make custom barrels, and the frames are easy to find on Gunbroker.
The 350 Legend is basically nothing more than a 375 Maximum with no rim.
This company makes them as well

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 10.47.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 10.47.49 AM.png
    973.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 10.47.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 10.47.51 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 50
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 10.47.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 10.47.53 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
IMO -

The Ruger American series is the best of the "budget" bolt-actions.

The .350 Legend was created to shoot from an AR-15 type platform. If "firepower" is desired, then go that route.

IMO -

The Ruger American series is the best of the "budget" bolt-actions.

The .350 Legend was created to shoot from an AR-15 type platform. If "firepower" is desired, then go that route.

I’m probably bucking the trend but I don’t like hunting with a ar in most situations. To me it is similar to the long range fade. I feel you should get as close as reasonable and take one shot and make it count. I know you can do that with a ar, but especially for a new hunter I think the availability of 5 or 10 or 20 fast follow up shots is tempting to take a lower percentage shot.

I like the ar for coyotes and hogs, but even then I think it is best in the hands of some experience.

I’m probably bucking the trend but I don’t like hunting with a ar in most situations. To me it is similar to the long range fade. I feel you should get as close as reasonable and take one shot and make it count. I know you can do that with a ar, but especially for a new hunter I think the availability of 5 or 10 or 20 fast follow up shots is tempting to take a lower percentage shot.

I like the ar for coyotes and hogs, but even then I think it is best in the hands of some experience.
I agree with you.

I hear what youre saying.... but....

I'd offer that an AR is no different than any other semi auto "hunting" rifle if you configure it similarly..

The browning BAR Mark II has been very successful as a "hunting rifle".. As has the Remington 742 Woodsmaster.. and many others..

You can limit the AR in 350 legend to 5 rounds just like the Mark II and Woodsmaster (for what its worth, there are 10 and 20 round mags for the Mark II and Woodsmaster out there just like there are for the AR in 350 Legend)..

The argument really isn't any different than the current 6.5 creedmore debate that's gone on in a couple of threads here recently..

The rifle and the caliber is nothing more than a tool... the USER is the thing that needs to be questioned if they are using the tool improperly.. If I want to be irresponsible with my Rem 600 mohawk, I can rack the bolt as fast as possible, not get a good sight picture, and just squeeze off the next round hoping to hit something... no different than if I were deploying one of the ARs in the safe.. the AR just allows me to do the same thing marginally faster (but no more or less irresponsibly)..

What the AR brings that a Mark II, or a 742 (and most other rifles) doesn't is versatility combined with affordability.. you can put a 3-9x optic on it, put a 5 round magazine in it, and hunt with it legally in pretty much every state in the union.. then pull the optic, throw on a red dot, drop in a 30 round mag, and use it for home defense... then pull the red dot, slap on a low power variable like a 1-4x optic, keep the 30 round mag, and take it out after sounders of hogs, etc..etc.. and do all of that with less than $700 invested in the rifle (if you choose to go with basic components)

I get that some people don't like the "look".. and others being traditionalists, don't like the idea that "hunting" is indeed changing... more and more people are taking "black rifles", long range rifles, and all sort of techno gadgets to the field to do everything from help them find game (thermals, drones, etc) or to help them better understand field conditions, communicate, etc (barometers, GPS, radios, rangefinders, wind instruments, etc..).. none of that was available even 30 years ago... and somehow we all managed to kill deer, elk, etc.. just fine..

But the truth is.. hunting is indeed changing.. we can resist it, and find that we have less and less ability to influence the future.. or we can embrace it (choosing not to participate in those sorts of things doesn't mean we cant try to understand it, support it when done in a legal and ethical manner, etc.. and continue to encourage legal/ethical/moral hunting)...

The other advantage to an AR platform, as distateful as it is to many is... familiarity... everyone that has served in the US armed forces, and the majority of law enforcement in the US has at a minimum had fundamental training with the platform.. they will know it far better than they will know and understand a typical bolt action rifle... and chances are, if you're dealing with a city dweller (and many country boys as well).. if they have ever spent any time on a range with friends.. they have spent time shooting an AR (its far and away the most popular and most sold platform in the US, and has been for quite some time at this point).. .where it is entirely possibly they would need to be trained from the ground up if they get handed a bolt gun...

Dont get me wrong... I am NOT an AR hunter (other than hogs).. My go-to deer rifle is the little Rem 600 mohawk listed above.. my go-to Africa rifle is my Win 70 .375 H&H... etc..etc.. (I hunt almost exclusively with bolt actions..)..

Im just saying if you have a guy who is 1) budget constrained, 2) experience limited, 3) caliber limited, and 4) might benefit from a single platform that can perform numerous tasks (home defense, hunting, plinking, etc).... that an AR is IMO an exceptional option..

Whether or not he is ethical is really the only question.. telling someone "you want to be humane... you only take shots you KNOW are going to drop the deer... you only take shots that are within your range and skill capability", etc.. should be all it takes.. Hunters go to the field with the bolt action rifles with 3-5 rounds in the magazine every day of deer season.. they also should adhere to that guidance.. the additional rounds are only for fixing mistakes (unintended).. no different than the AR's extra rounds..

If a guy is unethical.. well.. he's just unethical... what weapons platform he has in his hands is inconsequential..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.