Giraffe - to mount or not to mount

They are actually pretty hard to hunt in wild areas, they don't let you get close enough for iron sights very easily as they see everything. I'm told that young giraffe tastes good, but I found stinkbull to be quite awful and outrageously tough.

If someone wants the experience, go for it. Make curios, but be aware of how darned expensive the tanning/making/shipping/import/taxidermy is for the animal. You could go on a 7 day safari for the price of what you'll pay "stuffing" the giraffe, death by a thousand financial cuts.

Gun slips and pillows and chairs? Sure, go for it, looks great. But don't become a financial slave to your taxidermy where you spend so much that you reduce your hunting to pay off the debts for things you barely have room to display.

14 safaris later, I would do MUCH less taxidermy than I have done as most of it sits in storage.

Oh I'm sure. I found after going to RSA for the first time there were animals I saw and decided I will absolutely take at some point. Then there were ones I saw and will likely never. The giraffe falls into the never category. But once again, I don't judge anyone for legally taking them and I support it. Zebra was one of the animals I was likely never going to take and once I saw them (and how hard they are to hunt) I decided I will in the future. Just different interests for different people.

To your point on the costs of taxidermy, it didn't seem like a cheap endeavor to get one back home.

Oh I'm sure. I found after going to RSA for the first time there were animals I saw and decided I will absolutely take at some point. Then there were ones I saw and will likely never. The giraffe falls into the never category. But once again, I don't judge anyone for legally taking them and I support it. Zebra was one of the animals I was likely never going to take and once I saw them (and how hard they are to hunt) I decided I will in the future. Just different interests for different people.

To your point on the costs of taxidermy, it didn't seem like a cheap endeavor to get one back home.

Sound reasoning. I agree with Zebra too, we hunt one almost every trip because we love the meat, somebody wants a curio/hide in the group, and its the best bait animal 10:1 over any other option if people are after leopard, hyena, bushpig, jackal, or night critters.

Zebra schnitzel and impala liver fried appetizers are the two favorites with my group.

I was planning on hunting a giraffe on my upcoming archery Buffalo hunt since I would have the right setup to take one.. However, after seeing the cost of tanning and mounting I decided against it.

They are actually pretty hard to hunt in wild areas, they don't let you get close enough for iron sights very easily as they see everything. I'm told that young giraffe tastes good, but I found stinkbull to be quite awful and outrageously tough.

If someone wants the experience, go for it. Make curios, but be aware of how darned expensive the tanning/making/shipping/import/taxidermy is for the animal. You could go on a 7 day safari for the price of what you'll pay "stuffing" the giraffe, death by a thousand financial cuts.

Gun slips and pillows and chairs? Sure, go for it, looks great. But don't become a financial slave to your taxidermy where you spend so much that you reduce your hunting to pay off the debts for things you barely have room to display.

14 safaris later, I would do MUCH less taxidermy than I have done as most of it sits in storage.
this seems like wise words right here, the cost of taxidermy can be back breaking, can actually take away from the experience to some degree. pictures and euros/rugs work great

You hunt a giraffe for the very same reason you hunt any other animal.

If you have the space, you can have very creative taxidermy, but yes, it is expensive.

Was offered a bull in Namibia on a hunt;on another property;as I had taken most of what was on quota for my hunt. I wanted to do this euro but got a less than enthusiastic response from the PH and he never mentioned going there again. Had a good hunt, but we didnt always mesh personality wise.

I’ve seen this mounted on a wall before, for a big bull I think its unique way to display an animal.

8PuwN3y.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JameShiple

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!