Giraffe hide as bedspread?

Hi all!

I'm looking into a giraffe hunt for 2025 and I had the idea of making a bedspread of the giraffe hide (something like 2,4x2,4 meter which seems doable from what I could find regarding sizes of skins).

I'm thinking it would be a pretty cool way to ise the skin, but, will it be to hard and/or heavy? I'm never come across a giraffe hide in the past. I had this idea with my bison skin and that one is a bit on the heavy side but mainly the bison I shot was a tad to small to make it work properly.

Any thoughts?
Fred, it will be too heavy and crush the heck out of you! Rather make a rug or an ottoman.
 
Hi all!

I'm looking into a giraffe hunt for 2025 and I had the idea of making a bedspread of the giraffe hide (something like 2,4x2,4 meter which seems doable from what I could find regarding sizes of skins).

I'm thinking it would be a pretty cool way to ise the skin, but, will it be to hard and/or heavy? I'm never come across a giraffe hide in the past. I had this idea with my bison skin and that one is a bit on the heavy side but mainly the bison I shot was a tad to small to make it work properly.

Any thoughts?

Here is also an idea for your giraffe skin?


IMG-20241104-WA0016.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
As others have said, giraffe hair/hide is abrasive. I have a giraffe ottoman and if I was wearing shorts, I probably wouldn't sit on it. A flatskin for the floor is very impressive, if you have a room large enough to house it. They're HUGE!
 
Thanks @EXECUTIVE HUNT AFRICA, it looks really nice but as many have pointed out, the hair seems to be very rough, do you think it would still be comfy to sit/lay on such a couch?
 
Okay, curiosity has got the best of me, so I'll ask.
Is it the hair that gives the giraffe hide it's colouration or can the hair be shaved off and the colouration maintained?
 
Okay, curiosity has got the best of me, so I'll ask.
Is it the hair that gives the giraffe hide it's colouration or can the hair be shaved off and the colouration maintained?

Without shaving my giraffe hides, the color appears to come from the hair and the skin/leather would not retain the color pattern. All of my hides have a similar solid greyish color to the leather. I don't recall if that was different and there was pigment on the freshly harvested giraffes.
 
Thanks @EXECUTIVE HUNT AFRICA, it looks really nice but as many have pointed out, the hair seems to be very rough, do you think it would still be comfy to sit/lay on such a couch?
I really can't comment on how comfy it is (that kind of couch in general isn't comfortable to sit on!) - BUT it's a beautiful "conversation" starter!!
 
Hi all!

I'm looking into a giraffe hunt for 2025 and I had the idea of making a bedspread of the giraffe hide (something like 2,4x2,4 meter which seems doable from what I could find regarding sizes of skins).

I'm thinking it would be a pretty cool way to ise the skin, but, will it be to hard and/or heavy? I'm never come across a giraffe hide in the past. I had this idea with my bison skin and that one is a bit on the heavy side but mainly the bison I shot was a tad to small to make it work properly.

Any thoughts?
@Fredrik
I was thinking of a bedspread for my zebra skin. It's plenty big enough for our queen size bed but my wife said why ruin a perfectly good zebra.
She suggested making one out of some of the other skins like red hartebeest, impala, springbok to showcase these smaller skins.
Still toying with the idea but I think she may be right again. As usual. Rule 1 wife is always right.
Rule 2 if wife is wrong refer to rule1
Bob
 
I was thinking the same thing. I get one room I can do anything I want, and in the rest of the house I need to get the blessing of my better half.
@Goat416
I'm fortunate with my wife
I can put anything anywhere in our home no problem.
AS LONG AS I HAVE HER PERMISSION
Bob
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,348
Messages
1,573,662
Members
169,810
Latest member
LyndonGmz3
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top