Getting Ladies Used To Recoil

Just a side note - in SOME countries, they have minimum PG caliber requirements for forgein sport hunters that may not apply to local citizens. Some limit it to various species and some have a blanket caliber or muzzle energy minimum. Some PH's follow these limits, and some don't. GENERALLY, something 7mm and larger is just about universally the legal minimum for all PG species. If someone can shoot a 308 with 150gr or heavier TSX you'll never have a worry about min cal or min ME.

Let her try a variety of different rifles and calibers and see what she likes. Try before you buy.

Thanks AH Family for all the suggestions. Just thought I would update everyone on the progress and my recent losses I guess is the word. Deer season being quarantined sparked interest in Mrs. Whacker to get out and start hunting as well which resulted in her first deer with the 6.5. It sparked a chain reaction that may have me searching for a third job soon lol. As I spent time working with our daughter on shooting...she wanted to partake as well. They have both been launching 12ga rounds at my targets on the hillside like the apocalypse and have been having fun with multiple different calibers along the journey. I fear that my 45-70 now has claims laid upon it by our daughter as she has probably by now shot it more times than I have and earlier today we were out enjoying the morning and as I was fixing a sling swivel stud on the 375H&H Mrs. Whacker has a sudden desire to demolish some targets. She was curious about the first shot but it seemed to set off a chain reaction that went through about 15 rounds of Barnes 300gr TSX...not being able to take 5 rounds back inside I had to finish the box and have a lil fun myself but I fear I may have now lost my two favorite guns...looks like the one looking for a new rifle soon may be me?? She handled that rifle like a champ!!

Thanks AH Family for all the suggestions. Just thought I would update everyone on the progress and my recent losses I guess is the word. Deer season being quarantined sparked interest in Mrs. Whacker to get out and start hunting as well which resulted in her first deer with the 6.5. It sparked a chain reaction that may have me searching for a third job soon lol. As I spent time working with our daughter on shooting...she wanted to partake as well. They have both been launching 12ga rounds at my targets on the hillside like the apocalypse and have been having fun with multiple different calibers along the journey. I fear that my 45-70 now has claims laid upon it by our daughter as she has probably by now shot it more times than I have and earlier today we were out enjoying the morning and as I was fixing a sling swivel stud on the 375H&H Mrs. Whacker has a sudden desire to demolish some targets. She was curious about the first shot but it seemed to set off a chain reaction that went through about 15 rounds of Barnes 300gr TSX...not being able to take 5 rounds back inside I had to finish the box and have a lil fun myself but I fear I may have now lost my two favorite guns...looks like the one looking for a new rifle soon may be me?? She handled that rifle like a champ!!
Welcome to the club. My wife loves hunting and shooting. Her R8 is about the only gun I've seen her get excited about acquiring, but there certainly is a fair number I've bought or built that get used quite a but but I cant seem to recall shooting them personally in a while lol

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned already but I am a believer that a firearm's report has a role in perceived recoil. In some people I could see the report alone causing a flinch without adequate hearing protection. When I shoot a heavier recoiling rifle, especially off of a bench, I double up on hearing protection with plugs and muffs.

As mentioned earlier the phenomena of not feeling recoil and not hearing the report while shooting at game is a great example of your mind helping you to overcome a perceived obstacle. The extra hearing protection helps fill that role while shooting at boring paper.

@Whacker welcome to the club. My wife laid claim to a 338 and 375 that I stocked to fit her correctly after she "Tried a couple shots" Almost afraid to take my 404 Jeffery to the range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg