Generations separated by a common language...

steve white

AH ambassador
Joined
Feb 9, 2018
Messages
5,829
Reaction score
13,195
Location
dallas tx
Articles
3
Member of
dallas safari club, mannlicher collectors assoc., era
Hunted
Cape buffalo, plains game
OK, so I spent a wasted half hour at Academy attempting to buy Long Johns. When I called them that, the female employee looked like I had said something borderline inappropriate. I shifted to "insulated underwear." Then she looked perplexed why anyone would want to insulate underwear shorts. I explained to her that they were leg length and often worn underneath hunting clothes. We went to the hunting clothing section--nothing. We went almost everywhere, even called the people at the manager's office--no one had a clue. Got another young lady to help. She finally said, "let's look at the seasonal sale stuff behind the checkers area. Finally I said "there they are, right there!" And they all replied, "why didn't you say you wanted BASE LAYERS?
I wonder how many other things are renamed, or considered out of fashion, or are new techie or... Am I officially too old to communicate? And that's before we get to shooting terminology, etc. etc.
 
I also know them as long johns, or thermals
 
Lol, when I first hunted in Zimbabwe, the PH said of a pretty girl that he would like to "knock her up." Well, I just about choked on my coke. Turns out, in Zim, that means to go knock on her door and ask her on a date! In the US, of course, it means to get her pregnant!
 
My real "no hable" occurs with abbreviations. EDC--oh, every day carry, as in a knife? Tons of them, and from younger people, maybe indecipherable to me...YMMV
 
My real "no hable" occurs with abbreviations. EDC--oh, every day carry, as in a knife? Tons of them, and from younger people, maybe indecipherable to me...YMMV
Tons of them is right. LOL makes me grit my teeth. IMHO texting has become the nemesis of good communication!!
 
I’m familiar with all three terms but have been using “base layer” the last few decades. I too grew up calling them “long johns”, having no idea why or what that really means. I think thermals are also what glider pilots use for lift. At least the most recent term makes sense - it is worn closest to your skin as a “base” and not intended to be worn alone, only in layers.

Not all new lexicon makes as much sense to me. I’m fine if your base layers identify as long johns.
 
We actually have a French name for them here but in English we always called them long handles
 
We actually have a French name for them here but in English we always called them long handles
A union suit is a one piece wool blend base layer kind of like long johns and long sleeve top in one piece. Button front and a button flap in the back. Common in New England and Canada.
 
Lol, when I first hunted in Zimbabwe, the PH said of a pretty girl that he would like to "knock her up." Well, I just about choked on my coke. Turns out, in Zim, that means to go knock on her door and ask her on a date! In the US, of course, it means to get her pregnant!
@steve white
Year ago a mates grandmother was touring the USA by bus. After a long day if walking around one area she hopped on the bus and said to her Australian friend that she was knocked up. She was 70 odd years old and wondering why she was getting strange looks. In Australia it means your tired
I once asked my girlfriend's english mother if she had any Durex. I got a horrified look and ask what I want them for. I explained I was selling my car and wanted to stick a for sale sign on it. She gave a sigh of relief and said they call it sticky tape. Apparently in England Durex are condoms.

Man the english language and sayings can sure get mixed up from country to country.
Bob
 
Tons of them is right. LOL makes me grit my teeth. IMHO texting has become the nemesis of good communication!!
@Doug Hamilton
Acronyms are the bane of my life. The ones used in txt have me completely stumped and don't get me started on the ones use at work.
I had to attend a SWAT meeting at work. On arrival I apologise for not being prepared. If I had known we were having a SWAT meeting I would have bought my rifle and got a bullet proof vest.
He said what do you mean. I told him I was there for the SWAT meeting. I was told I was an idiot it meant Safety Walk and Talk. I told him to rename it as SWAT to a rifle owner means Special Weapons and Tactics. He understood and laughed his head off.
Bob
 
Should have asked for a full body suit with a trap door. :cool::LOL: That would have been a real conversation and maybe full media incident. I give up going to stores. I buy most my stuff online, not really another option these days from poor inventory and dumb staff.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,276
Messages
1,571,407
Members
169,353
Latest member
WoodrowOre
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top