Johnny reb

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA- buckmasters
$120 was that the cost to hunt just Guar or other species as well? Cost for tiger, leopard, guar and usual length of hunt. Thanks for this information and all of the other information you have provided about India’s hunting traditions.

Major Khan

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
$120 was that the cost to hunt just Guar or other species as well? Cost for tiger, leopard, guar and usual length of hunt. Thanks for this information and all of the other information you have provided about India’s hunting traditions.
Thank you so much for your kind words , Johnny Reb .
$120 American Dollars was the cost of a gaur shikar.

Kouprey

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia, Russia, Austria, Mongolia, Hungary
Gaurs are really Royal Game to me!
Those must have been great times, when you could hunt Gaur and Tiger on one trip...

1956_09_SportsAfield_gaur.jpg
beater & bison.jpg
DSC04104.JPG
s-l16002.jpg
thom_burma.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bearbait1

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I never realized they were quite so big.

Vetaikaran

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
NZDA
Great thread. I grew up in India and have seen huge gaur many times in National Parks mostly Mudumalai, Anamalai, Hasanur / Dimbum, Kodaikanal etc. They are the most stunning and spectacular animal apart from the tiger.

Madras Christian College zoology department used to have a gaur head that was 48 inches wide shot in Travancore in the 1920s i think.

A Tea or coffee Plantation in Chikmangalur had a head that was 47 inches wide but more massive horns.

The Wild Water buffalo of Assam (Bubalis Arni) is slightly bigger than the gaur and far more dangerous. It is said to be more dangerous than the cape buffalo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DennyBowes

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I did a little housekeeping in my shop and found some .500 Jeffery ammo that I no longer need. Superior Ammunition and Hendershots loaded them, along with AHR (American Hunting Rifles). Several Woodleigh/A-Square solids along with lead bullets in both 535g and 600g. Message me for any details.

IMG_8092.jpg
IMG_8091.jpg
IMG_8090.jpg
IMG_8094.jpg
pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG