Johnny reb

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA- buckmasters
$120 was that the cost to hunt just Guar or other species as well? Cost for tiger, leopard, guar and usual length of hunt. Thanks for this information and all of the other information you have provided about India’s hunting traditions.

Major Khan

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
$120 was that the cost to hunt just Guar or other species as well? Cost for tiger, leopard, guar and usual length of hunt. Thanks for this information and all of the other information you have provided about India’s hunting traditions.
Thank you so much for your kind words , Johnny Reb .
$120 American Dollars was the cost of a gaur shikar.

Kouprey

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia, Russia, Austria, Mongolia, Hungary
Gaurs are really Royal Game to me!
Those must have been great times, when you could hunt Gaur and Tiger on one trip...

1956_09_SportsAfield_gaur.jpg
beater & bison.jpg
DSC04104.JPG
s-l16002.jpg
thom_burma.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Vetaikaran

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
NZDA
Great thread. I grew up in India and have seen huge gaur many times in National Parks mostly Mudumalai, Anamalai, Hasanur / Dimbum, Kodaikanal etc. They are the most stunning and spectacular animal apart from the tiger.

Madras Christian College zoology department used to have a gaur head that was 48 inches wide shot in Travancore in the 1920s i think.

A Tea or coffee Plantation in Chikmangalur had a head that was 47 inches wide but more massive horns.

The Wild Water buffalo of Assam (Bubalis Arni) is slightly bigger than the gaur and far more dangerous. It is said to be more dangerous than the cape buffalo.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Enjoy the bush with Respect
20 day hunt in May 2022 with Zana Botes hard part now starting the wait
Better a fool on his own than a wise man at someone else's discretion
... F. Nietzsche
perry madl wrote on Ignatius of Antioch's profile.
Is your double still available?