Game Ranch Buffalo worth it? Or should I just do a Mozambique Hippo/Croc thing instead?

At a show, I saw a 7 day buff hunt in the Rungwa game reserve in Tanzania in the 16k range. I didn’t talk to the ph, but one of his former hunters. From what he said the interest in hunting in countries other then South Africa has dropped substantially among US hunters , and has increased with European hunters. Surely it’s just an opinion, but has to make everyone wonder what is being sold to a hunter, vs what the actual experience ends up being.
These types of prices are why I created the budgeting spreadsheet. I don't know that outfit, but travel costs to and from Rungwa are typically very high and only via charter flight. Thus, dip, pack, etc. are usually more costly. So, I don't believe one can really compare that type of hunt to a RSA hunt that is open to Kruger (which actually for an any size buffalo might be more expensive for the 'hunt') unless one compares all costs.

8733587adf3f51d8fa1d34890d42eea3.jpg

That actually looks really decent as a skull mount.

Also why would you ever bring your wife on an African safari?

I like my wife a lot, but f** that!
Each to its own I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also why would you ever bring your wife on an African safari?

I like my wife a lot, but f** that!
I suppose that may have been an attempt at humor, but I find the wording offensive. I've learned things about the PH and country I was hunting that I never would have learned without my wife there. After sharing a 2 person tent on a mountain in New Zealand in gale force winds and rain for 3 1/2 days and keeping each other sane I wouldn't trade taking her to Africa with me for my brothers or my hunting buddies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose that may have been an attempt at humor, but I find the wording offensive. I've learned things about the PH and country I was hunting that I never would have learned without my wife there. After sharing a 2 person tent on a mountain in New Zealand in gale force winds and rain for 3 1/2 days and keeping each other sane I wouldn't trade taking her to Africa with me for my brothers or my hunting buddies.
Amen brother

well everybody citing Breitbart news does that on his own peril.....

There are gems to be found where ever you look in Africa and and not so great destinations even in wilderness areas.
Time of the year might be wrong, drought or too much rain for buffalo to be back in free ranging area or just be too thin distrubuted because of water everywhere.
Have seen it in Selous buffalo were plenty but only young bulls with big herds for example.

This is where a large area fenced has a big advantage and if the buffalo are hunted there regurlaly they will be there you might just have to hunt harder to find them and get a shot.

So the question you should ask yourself?

Wilderness areas, are you happy to hunt hard and put in the hours and go home content even if you don't connect with a trophy of desired quality. Quality of hard hunt and wilderness expereince overshadowing the trophies.

Or for the budget do you need to connect with desired animals and have a fair chance at them?
Lots of wilderness areas will deliver but you need to go at the right time with the right outfit that might be out of your budget.

While I would recommend Tanzania, I do not think your Budged would allow for that Kind of real Wilderness. So my second recommendation would be South Africa in one of the Open systems next to Kruger for Buffalo. I have one of those hunts in the Deals and Offers section. Its well within your budged, and you could Hunt both hyena and Civet on the same hunt, but outside the open system.
Email me for more info info@spearsafaris.com or send me a PM.
Cheers
Ernest

I did put a post up with more detail - but no idea where it has gone.........
There is very little to no issues up here in Northern Mozambique, I am in Cabo Delgado and have been here 4 months since my last trip home for 30 days.
Insurgents have moved on through to Tanzania/on the border. Palma is opening right up, reconstruction and equipment recovery is well on its way.
The reserves/concessions are operating as normal, I have heard of an outfitter opening up a new camp in one area and my wife and I were offered an interview with an outfitter here for camp management several weeks back.
There are great Buff to be had in Tete area also with great Croc and Hippo available too. I will go onto the concession in the coming weeks when I head home to Tete and see where the Buff are at now and see how things are since the rains are over.
If you find yourself in the Tete area or passing through we have cold beer, good meat and a clean bed for you and your Mrs, we would love the company and the opportunity to meet a fellow member.
Best of luck with your plans.

Having hunted RSA twice with 2 different PH's in different areas, and planning a trip to Namibia currently. Definitely include a buffalo. I conducted my hunt in RSA. It's been my favorite hunt, and also my most frustrating as the buffalo weren't cooperating. I'd 100% hunt in RSA again for buffalo including where I killed mine. However, as stated above this was a gateway drug and I now really want to hunt elsewhere. Near the top for me are Zim, Mozambique, Tanzania, and Zambia.

If you look at RSA spend some time speaking to the PH. Ask how they hunt? Do they use vehicles or do you walk and follow tracks? How large is the area you're hunting? How many buffalo are on the property?

If you look at RSA spend some time speaking to the PH. Ask how they hunt? Do they use vehicles or do you walk and follow tracks? How large is the area you're hunting? How many buffalo are on the property?

That is the one big difference between the RSA hunts and hunts outside of game ranches. The buffalo I shot last year had just crossed over from Mozambique to Zimbabwe. Crossed a dirt road into the thick bush with a herd where we tracked it down eventually. The number of buffalo in the area fluctuates and is not a constant.

That is the one big difference between the RSA hunts and hunts outside of game ranches. The buffalo I shot last year had just crossed over from Mozambique to Zimbabwe. Crossed a dirt road into the thick bush with a herd where we tracked it down eventually. The number of buffalo in the area fluctuates and is not a constant.
Yes Sir, those questions were more for him should he consider a buffalo hunt in RSA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviaJoine

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.