Full body mounts

btheis13

AH senior member
Reaction score
How many have full body mounts of your African animals? I'm considering a full mount of a Kudu or Gemsbuck for my upcoming safari. I just find that you miss out on the side stripes of the Kudu and some of the coloring of the Gemsbuck with only doing pedistal/shoulder mounts.

Please share pictures of what you have.

Those would both be very large but if you got the room go for it. I have a full body leopard I am picking up soon.

i have small full bodies caracal, porcupine, aardwolf, gennet cat, two monkeys, baboon, jackal, two crows, springhare, and they still take up a fair amount of space, If you have a large trophy room and the finances for the taxidermy and shipping, go for it.

Check out this site to get an idea on sizes. The Jackal/springhare are mine.

I hear ya. I got talked into a full black bear a few years ago. It's cool, but wish I would have went with a rug instead.
Got a black bear hunt this winter. I was thinking rug or throw blanket. Which do you think?

I have small stuff, klipspringer, bush duiker,steenbok and baboon. I will continue to full body mount anymore tiny ten and varmints I shoot. Hoping for a genet and sharpes grysbok next year. I would also like a full mount of a good bushbuck if I can get the combination of good horns and good hair. That’s about all I have room for. Or if I ever go and kill a bongo.

I have a full body warthog and bushbuck. My dog, when he was a puppy, chewed the “foliage” off the bases. Other than that, if I had to do it over, I don’t think I would have due to cost. Also, they do take up space, I really don’t have. Tangent to that, that taxidermist didn’t do a great job.

I have done some of the tiny 10 and predators. I also have a full body Aoudad, Chamois, and Tahr. Kudu and Gemsbuck look awesome in shoulder mounts so I would not do those particular animals but save the back skin. Other animals like Nayla, Bongo, Bears, Cats and most predators look better as fully body mounts.

I would full body a Bongo if I ever get one, but other big mounts are too big for my space.

If you have the room, then go for it.

I shot a black bear in Canada and had a rug done and hated it ever since. It takes up floor space that I don't have, so I just put it on the bed in a guest bedroom and when I have guest I roll it up and put it under the bed.

I have full body mounts on bongo, leopard, crocodile, bushbuck, baboon, monkey, black bear, brown bear, some of them take a lot of room. My Dad also wanted to show off the stripes on a kudu so he took an additional female and had a rug made out of it.

I grew up in the country, so one year for Halloween we went to a neighborhood where a friend of my mom's lived. She knew I liked hunting so she took me across the street to a taxidermist's house. He had a full body mount giraffe that went up past his catwalk on the second floor. Was one of the coolest things I'd ever seen, but probably a pain to maneuver around all the time.

I hear ya. I got talked into a full black bear a few years ago. It's cool, but wish I would have went with a rug instead.
My story is just the opposite. 40 some years ago when I shot my Mountain goat he had a large body and full winter coat and my taxidermist wanted to do a full mount of him so much that he cut his price for a full mount in half, but back then I didn't have room for a full mount, so I only had him done in a half mount. I like the half mount, just wish I had done a full mount.
epv0GeZl.jpg

As to the OP's original question, a full mount Kudu or Gemsbok would take up a lot of space, and IMO would look "out of place" unless they were in some sort of diorama.

I also had a half mount done of my Nyala, and I like it.
mYqCZTwl.jpg

I have a number of other full mounts, but only 2 from Africa, my Leopard and Cape Grysbok. I'm waiting for my taxidermist to do full mounts of a Caracal and Civet.
iQWOXJsl.jpg
S6mc7gIl.jpg

My "hippie cow" takes up a bit of room, but there was no question of not having him done in a full mount.
E61CCJvl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
FullSizeRender.jpeg
I have life sized leopard and warthog. My wife has a life sized springbuck. From NA I have life sized alligator, bobcat, grey fox, fox squirrel, otter, black bear, brown bear and Dall sheep. also have a couple of bass and several ducks. Going forward I have plans and space for life sized mt. goat, mt lion and African lion. I will take a few more pics next time I am at the lake and add them as well if I had unlimited space and money, I would get lots of stuff life sized.
IMG_5447.jpeg
IMG_6154.jpeg
IMG_6136.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5120.jpeg
    IMG_5120.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
Like other have said, if you have the space go for it. After the Eastern cape safari, my wall space is shrinking drastically, and I will not have any more room. So, from now on, euromounts and pictures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesmondJar

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.