Free Zebra Hide

Bert the Turtle

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH elite
Joined
May 29, 2010
Messages
1,435
Reaction score
3,087
Media
6
Articles
1
I had a couple of zebra hides tanned here in the states. When I picked them up, they were all balled up in a
Cardboard box and wrinkled. The tannery didn’t thin the hide properly to make it nice and soft on the back either.

I talked to a taxidermist who said I could sand it down on the back to get the proper suede texture and wet it and work out the wrinkles. If I do the work, it reminds me that I paid good money for poor workmanship and it pisses me off every time I look at it. If you do the work, you get a father-son project that results in a free zebra hide rug snd I get to imagine I’ve made someone happy by giving it away.

So here is the deal: if you’d like zebra skin rug, it is yours.

163DA6ED-001C-46B7-8DE1-997B8BEEAE7A.jpeg
 
I had a couple of zebra hides tanned here in the states. When I picked them up, they were all balled up in a
Cardboard box and wrinkled. The tannery didn’t thin the hide properly to make it nice and soft on the back either.

I talked to a taxidermist who said I could sand it down on the back to get the proper suede texture and wet it and work out the wrinkles. If I do the work, it reminds me that I paid good money for poor workmanship and it pisses me off every time I look at it. If you do the work, you get a father-son project that results in a free zebra hide rug snd I get to imagine I’ve made someone happy by giving it away.

So here is the deal: if you’d like zebra skin rug, it is yours.

View attachment 405721
Turn it over, and iron with a cool-ish steam iron.
 
If you still want to get rid of it, I'll take.
 
I think I'll collect my own, but a great offer.
 
I took @Bert the Turtle up on his kind and generous offer... once I get back from South Africa (we're headed out next week), I'm going to see what I can do to make it work for a project my wife wants to work on (recovering a chair/bench).. @Bert the Turtle was right, as a rug Im not sure theres much that could be done to salvage it.. but I think with a little work we can get it a large number of the bends and folds out of it, and then if its pulled tight enough and enough tacks are applied, Im pretty sure we can make it work really well for a re-upholstery job on the antique bench..

Thanks again @Bert the Turtle !
 
Can’t believe I didn’t catch this! Congrats! I have been wanting to build a set of batwing chaps out of zebra split right down the back bone. Let me know if you change your mind!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,373
Messages
1,574,457
Members
170,042
Latest member
ningprogmiddres1989
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top