For those that can't afford the Rigby Big Game or Heym Express, What's the next best thing?

I thought a Rigby, Mauser is, or can be in the apx. $10K range?
Maybe double, idk.

Especially rifles that come availible in 416 Rigby with the traditional African rifle aesthetics. What would be the next best thing one price category below those two but above the likes of CZ, Winchester, Ruger etc?

ParkWest Arms? Kimber? Montana Rifle?

Who else is still producing premium CRF bolt guns these days?
This can be a nice source ..

Attachments

• GUN VAULT | MNR Custom 2:3.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 38
I enjoy 375s and other mediums and I like to explore the available rifles.
Any of the production rifles may need tweaking to feed and function perfectly (I've heard some say they've had similar experience with high end customs).

I think the Kimber Caprivi is a very nice rifle that can be found for roughly half the price of a used Dakota. The stock is a little thicker but nicely shaped and checkered. It's a little heavier than a Dakota but more refined and lighter than a Winchester Safari Express - which is a great rifle for the price.

Dakota 76 Safaris are very nice.
The wood and stock design is a big upgrade from Winchester. The wrist is slimmer and I think it handles better. I also like the standard 23" barrel much better than the 25" barrels as seen on pre-64s.

The actions on Dakotas feel lapped - smooth with snug lock up. Not critical but nice.

The 375 actions on Dakotas are smaller than on pre 64 model 70s and the 76 Safaris are probably a pound lighter. Because of the smaller action you have to place rounds into the 76 action while you can just drop them into the large loading port of the Model 70 (you still push them down into the mag of course).

Another nice feature of the Dakota is the positive lever they use as a bolt release. This is not only a cosmetic upgrade. If you look inside the action you will see that the lock is contoured to shroud the left side of the bolt to prevent gas and debris from escaping from the rear. This is a nice safety feature that is rarely mentioned about the Dakota 76.

You were asking about nicer classic rifles but I think the Winchester rifles are great buys. I am enjoying the Model 70 Alaskan which is surprisingly light and handy. It will probably get a barrel trim to 22 or 23".

I don't know the situation on the North American continent, but here in Europe if someone wants a cheaper rifle in a caliber suitable for hunting big game in Africa, he go to a gunsmith who can make something for him at an acceptable price.

Here is an example of a well-known gunsmith in my area who can easily and for a not too expensive price built for example a rifle 416 Ruger or 458 Win Mag based on a Mauser 98 system or similar, and certainly rifles of other calibers with the traditional African aesthetics.

Attachments

• WAFFEN-VELSER | Preise, Angebote.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
I've seen a nice Cooper firearms rifle listed and pretty sure I've seen MRC listed before.
Maybe a custom Mauser with nice timber.
A traditional looking sporting rifle would be nice with nice grain in a Walnut stock.
Half black and half brown.
I would like to own a high end rifle but there are too many to choose from

Well, what is premium?

Question should be, who else is producing magnum length action CRF bolt guns?
Magnum length CRF action these days is premium!

On medium length action you have Winchester m70 (375 HH, 348 WM, 416 rem) and zastava m70 (375 HH and 458 win mag). Then you have ruger on medium action, probably in 375 ruger.

Sako 85 phased out. Factory claims it is CRF type action, albeit not m98 type CRF. In several action lengths, and in variety of DG calibers.

On magnum length action, first next step is Mauser 98 DWM, newly produced. start at 10k.

Everything else in magnum length action CRF is probably more expensive.
Yes, magnum length CRF bolt action rifles.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that Model 70s in 375 and 416 aren't using magnum length actions for what Ive always assumed were magnum length cartridges?

I'm guessing the actions have been modified (material removed) to accommodate these larger cartridges into a standard length action?

I own a Safari Express in 458 WinMag so I'm guessing the same length action is used on the longer 375 and 416 RemMag versions of that same rifle?

I think I'm fairly set on a 416 Rigby so I will infact need to find something with a true Magnum length action to accommodate such a cartridge.

With the cartridge 416 Rigby it is critical. You normally need a magnum system for this cartridge, and that immediately put you in a different price range. There are rifles caliber 416 Rigby on the used market that were built in the past on an FN Mauser system and that are significantly cheaper, but you have to look and find the right rifle that does not cause any problems when reloading.

Attachments

• 416 Rigby Working Rifle | DORLEAC & DORLEAC.pdf
    294.2 KB · Views: 31
I own a Safari Express in 458 WinMag so I'm guessing the same length action is used on the longer 375 and 416 RemMag versions of that same rifle?
Correct.
Attached photo of winchester m70 pre 64 (in 3006 and 375 HH), well illustrates how it was adjusted to accommodate longer cartridge in medium lnght action.
Photo is from older Gun Digest annual edition magazine.

Magnum length action will probably have wider magazine well, and will accept 4, 5 or 6 cartridges in the mag. medium length action will take 3 cartridges of larger calibers in average .

Feeding of the cartridge will also have to be taken care off especially in medium action for large calibers.

MEDIUM LENGHT ACTION ON 375 AND 3006.jpg

If I needed a cheap and good all-round rifle for Africa, I would buy a Winchester M70 Safari Express caliber 416 Rem Mag without hesitation.

Later you can have your dream rifle in your dream caliber built according to your wishes. Experience has shown that compromises are never satisfactory and ultimately result in a loss of money.

Another option if you can find one is the Vektor actioned rifle. They were made in .404, 500 Jeff, 416 Rigby , 375 ( the Landrover series had the Reimer Johansen action)

CZ, Winchester & Ruger are a no go but a Kimber is okay?

I get wanting a 'nice' rifle. I own a couple myself but there's absolutely nothing wrong with a CZ, Winchester or Ruger big game rifle.
Maybe I should have clarified but I already own a CZ550, Model 70 Safari Express and Ruger M77. Love all three of them but am looking for those that are a step above in workmanship.

I'm unfamiliar with Kimber, and Cooper and Montana Rifle Company etc. I wasn't sure if they were in the same range as Dakota /PWA.

It doesn't sound like they are.

CZ, Winchester & Ruger are a no go but a Kimber is okay?

I get wanting a 'nice' rifle. I own a couple myself but there's absolutely nothing wrong with a CZ, Winchester or Ruger big game rifle.
I own all four of the rifle makes you mention. I like them all. Any one of them is a solid choice for a DG gun. However, there’s a difference in terms of design, refinement, fit and finish. The Kimber is a cut above the other 3. It should be, since it’s more expensive than the others. Whether it’s worth it is for the buyer to decide.

This rifle caliber 460 WBY-Magnum built on a Brevex Magnum Mauser action would easily be converted to caliber 416 Rigby. The price on the used market will regrettably hardly be over 2000 Euros in Europe.

View attachment 571742
460 WBY was recently prohibited here in Canada due to the >10,000J limit our anti gun government has imposed. I don't even a converted rifle would ever be allowed imported into the country.

Brno ZKK 602 fashioned to your liking by a competent gunsmith.....Rigby used many of these actions....and no it is not the same as a CZ.....

Can’t believe I posted on this thread already and didn’t mention the Blaser R8. Might need my head checked. :ROFLMAO:

The only places I’ve seen them is at the shows and on the internet sites. JD Outfitters always has a few listed on Gunstinternational.com Otherwise, they’re the stuff of brochures!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LydiaR8063

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.