For the New Double

Congrats on both rifle and case!
Oh, and the wife :) I’m guessing she is going to have a very nice Christmas ;)

IMG_2675.JPG

IMG_2677.JPG
IMG_2681.JPG
IMG_2682.JPG

The case came with pouches for the barrel and stock! Then once the combination locks are closed the straps are attached through the loops!
And finally the whole case has a protective cover sack. And away to the safe the new rifle goes!

Congrats on both rifle and case!
Oh, and the wife :) I’m guessing she is going to have a very nice Christmas ;)

Yes sir she is!

Just beautiful and I truly hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of your new baby!

I'll have to wait a couple of weeks to take it to the range!

nice double charlie,that case is for the gun to sleep in,right? not to travel in.

F09FB328-3A7A-4971-92AE-5FDC7882F7AC.jpeg

Spoke with the Americase rep and will be getting one of these for the 470 to travel in @edward. Will be able to slide one of the Rugers in there as well!

FB08A497-C6EC-4DAA-B6A9-5E0B7F05F5EB.jpeg
71D8DD96-2BF0-4850-BA20-068285752BEB.jpeg
Took the Merkel to the range today with my friend who just retired from Ruger. Top picture is the first broadside at fifty yards off hand. The top hole is the right barrel and the bottom is the left barrel. Bottom picture is the right barrel only off sticks in the 9 ring also at fifty yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now the process starts: load, shoot, load, shoot, load, shoot . . . . then: Africa!!!
Good hunting!!

great start Charlie, how was the recoil?

Somehow I managed to miss this thread.

Definitely going to show it to the wife!!

Way to show us how it's done Charlie!

Tim

great start Charlie, how was the recoil?

It was way less than my 458Lott and a tad more than my 416. Not bad at all actually. Now with my short fingers and My lack of experience with a double the second broadside was a double fire. Frankly that wasn’t bad either on the shoulder but it caught my middle finger pretty good with the back of the trigger guard.

Somehow I managed to miss this thread.

Definitely going to show it to the wife!!

Way to show us how it's done Charlie!

Tim
You have to work things very carefully my friend.

Thats a good start Charlie!

Sorry Charlie (no pun intended) I don't understand something. Did you rotate the target between the second and third shots? In the top photo the scoring numbers are running vertically, while in the bottom photo they are running horizontally. My second question is did you operate the rear trigger first as this will prevent a double fire, at least that is what I read in other double rifle posts. Did you fire the rifle from a bench using sand bags or similar to see where it was currently zeroed? Normally I would do that, prior to attempting any unsupported shooting position.

Sorry Charlie (no pun intended) I don't understand something. Did you rotate the target between the second and third shots? In the top photo the scoring numbers are running vertically, while in the bottom photo they are running horizontally. My second question is did you operate the rear trigger first as this will prevent a double fire, at least that is what I read in other double rifle posts. Did you fire the rifle from a bench using sand bags or similar to see where it was currently zeroed? Normally I would do that, prior to attempting any unsupported shooting position.
This was my rifle before I sold it to Charlie, and I had confirmed that the sights were well regulated. Would definitely be a good idea to shoot from a bench to make sure it shoots correctly for the current owner though, as I would assume having a different shooter could possibly change point of impact. However I wouldn't think that would be the case.
As for the doubling issue, I never had it happen to me when I had the rifle, however I only shot it a total of 16 times. I've read that the usual cause is hitting the back trigger while the gun is in recoil. I've also read that the front trigger should always be pulled first, due to the rear trigger having a heavier pull, to prevent doubling. This rifle has intercepting sears if I'm not mistaken, so the rifle itself shouldn't double without shooter error.
Being this is the only double I had ever owned, I don't have any other experience to draw from, other than what I've read on the subject. So once your finger heals up Charlie, let us know how she does next time! I bet you won't be disappointed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SheritaFow

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you