For Sale Interarms Whitworth 458 Win Mag

Yes, same action and maker. I don't know of the model 91 but there is a Zastava model 70. Same as the one Remington used some years ago with the lami stocks and loooong barrels.

Thanks for the info

OP: good luck selling your rifle. They are nice and accurate rifles

Very nice rig. A thread protector would be easy enough to have made. Wonder if a fella could have it reamed out to 458 Lott?

I don't use muzzle brakes but agree that they would be excellent for load development or any type of shooting off a bench.
In fact I have recently had to re-stock my .458 as it cracked lengthwise. Cant say for certain but I Don't think this would have happened if Id been using a muzzle brake when shooting off the bench

Whether one can convert to Lott depends on the length of the action and magazine. If its long then you can; if its a standard 30-06 length then you can't. However you can convert a standard length .458 to .458 African or .458 Sabi. For USA guys .458 African is easier as you can make brass from .404 or other cases derived from that. Performance is roughly the same as a Lott.

A friend was working up a load for another friends double rifle prior to an African hunt. He was testing various loads shooting from a bench and thinks he gave himself a mild concussion! So yes, the muzzle brake would be handy at the range.

Interarms Whitworth 458 Win Mag controlled round feed.
This is in great shape. Possibly unfired but I can’t be 100%. Has rings, bases and a muzzle brake. $900 plus $55 shipping to the lower 48.

View attachment 279404 View attachment 279405 View attachment 279406 View attachment 279407 View attachment 279408 View attachment 279441 View attachment 279420 View attachment 279421 View attachment 279422 View attachment 279423
I bought a used (like almost new) Interarms Whitworth Safari model .375 h & h a couple of months ago, after doing quite a bit of online research of the brand, because I wasn't familiar with that brand. It has the barrel band sling swivel and a darker walnut stock. Mine has "Whitworth" stamped on the left side of the receiver where your photo has "Mark X" and has a oval on top of the front receiver (scope) mount that also says Whitworth. The Whitworth model was a little more refined than the Mark X, with better metal bluing and a better quality and darker walnut stock. Supposedly the Mauser action was also "smoothed" out a little. However, Interarms did make the Whitworth with the sling swivel in the fore end of the stock, but still has the Whitworth stamping on the receiver and front receiver mount. Interarms quit importing the .375 and .458 in the Safari model in 1994. The guy who owned Interarms died in 1999. Those were the only calibers made in the Safari model. I'm not sure of the Mark Xs .Mine too has the "Whitworth" stamped on the recoil pad, but I believe you have a Mark X and not the Whitworth. Moot point! It's a fine looking rifle and I LOVE mine and it shoots really well. I only posted this for, as my wife says, useless trivial (and in this case) historical information.

I bought a used (like almost new) Interarms Whitworth Safari model .375 h & h a couple of months ago, after doing quite a bit of online research of the brand, because I wasn't familiar with that brand. It has the barrel band sling swivel and a darker walnut stock. Mine has "Whitworth" stamped on the left side of the receiver where your photo has "Mark X" and has a oval on top of the front receiver (scope) mount that also says Whitworth. The Whitworth model was a little more refined than the Mark X, with better metal bluing and a better quality and darker walnut stock. Supposedly the Mauser action was also "smoothed" out a little. However, Interarms did make the Whitworth with the sling swivel in the fore end of the stock, but still has the Whitworth stamping on the receiver and front receiver mount. Interarms quit importing the .375 and .458 in the Safari model in 1994. The guy who owned Interarms died in 1999. Those were the only calibers made in the Safari model. I'm not sure of the Mark Xs .Mine too has the "Whitworth" stamped on the recoil pad, but I believe you have a Mark X and not the Whitworth. Moot point! It's a fine looking rifle and I LOVE mine and it shoots really well. I only posted this for, as my wife says, useless trivial (and in this case) historical information.

Actually there are 6 different versions of the Whitworth. They also made the Whitworth in 30-06 and 7mm. There were a wide variety of barrel/receiver markings. Mine has features only found on the Whitworth model.

Actually there are 6 different versions of the Whitworth. They also made the Whitworth in 30-06 and 7mm. There were a wide variety of barrel/receiver markings. Mine has features only found on the Whitworth model.
Excellent looking rifle! Someday I would like to own a .458 Win. Mag., and since I have the Interarms .375, I'm leaning towards that brand. Like I said before, mine shoots really well. The action is as smooth as glass. I have never owned a CRF, but I'm sold on my rifle. I don't have a scope on it yet, but the express sights are great. The previous owner had the bolt and magazine follower "jeweled". I understand through my research, that jeweling really has no functional value, but it looks cool. I also DO like the muzzle brake on yours. The gunsmith didn't remove the front sight, which is a great plus! Good luck on selling your rifle!

A friend was working up a load for another friends double rifle prior to an African hunt. He was testing various loads shooting from a bench and thinks he gave himself a mild concussion! So yes, the muzzle brake would be handy at the range.
I have suffered from a headache after a session at the bench. As you say, possibly mild concussion. A bigger issue is the risk of detached retina - which is something I have heard of as a result of shooting big calibres.

Yes, the Interarms Mark X is built on a 98 Mauser action made by Zastava. They may be a bit rough to start but that's easily sorted.
I understand it is a standard length action (not a long one like the ZKK602).This makes for a very handy bush rifle/guide gun.
You obviously cannot load it quite as a hot as you can with a rifle built on a long action, but these things are always a trade off. Also have to think about how much energy/recoil you really need or want.
Note that these rifles should really be "glass" bedded as metal to wood fit is not always 100%. Apart from improving accuracy this also reduces the risk of cracking the stock.

Yes, the Interarms Mark X is built on a 98 Mauser action made by Zastava. They may be a bit rough to start but that's easily sorted.
I understand it is a standard length action (not a long one like the ZKK602).This makes for a very handy bush rifle/guide gun.
You obviously cannot load it quite as a hot as you can with a rifle built on a long action, but these things are always a trade off. Also have to think about how much energy/recoil you really need or want.
Note that these rifles should really be "glass" bedded as metal to wood fit is not always 100%. Apart from improving accuracy this also reduces the risk of cracking the stock.
According to the person I bought my rifle from, it was also "steel epoxy bedded". So I guess the bedding process has something to do with the strength of stock to steel and improved accuracy? I'm not familiar with the bedding process? Glass bedding, steel bedding vs. a free floating barrel like my Browning? Can anyone explain? I'm getting a headache.

Yes. The critical part is the fit of the action into the stock. This has to be as tight as possible with no room for movement. Various techniques are used. These include glass/epoxy bedding and "pillar bedding", which makes use of tubular metal pillars. You can also combine both methods.
Fit of recoil lug/s to cross/bolts is also important as the action must not be able to move backwards under recoil. The smith should deal with this as part of the bedding operation.
Bedding the action improves accuracy and reduce the risk of cracking the stock.
As to barrels, most are free floated; however some are bedded and some have a little "toe" that touches the barrel near the end of the stock. IMO full floating is the way to go - i.e. Bed the action and float the barrel.

Thank you very much for explaining this to me! I was uninformed as to this topic. I'm assuming(?) most common brands of rifles have the bedding done at the factory? I've never had this done by a gunsmith to any of my hunting rifles, although the hardest recoiling (which isn't much) rifle I own (with the exception of my new to me .375 h and h) is my .338 Browning. It is extremely accurate and recoils like the .375 with 270gr. bullets. My older Win. 70 in .270 is also very accurate from the factory. So I guess maybe the rifle's manufacturer may have something to do with the accuracy part? Thank you again for the information!

Great pleasure.
BTW, .338WM is a great calibre. Have used it from long range desert to bush applications.
Currently loading .275gr Swift A frames at 2400fps which I use in the bush.
Personally I think it is a much better all round calibre than the .375H&H.
If you decide to pay us a visit then bring that and you .458. You probably wont get to use the .458, but its nice to have.

OP's rifle is a Whitworth. They didn't use this specific stock on the Mk X rifles, as well the express sights and Whitworth marked pad. Not all of the big bore Whitworths had the front swivel on the barrel. The big bores were bedded in two places, the recoil lug and at the barrel underlug. There were some changes made along the way. Some have Whitworth stamped in a few places, some just a couple like mine, some only on the pad. Another change was the mag release moving from inside the trigger guard bow, to a side push affair in front of it. Express sights started with one fixed and two folding leaves, later with 3 folding leaves. It evolved.

OP's rifle is a Whitworth. They didn't use this specific stock on the Mk X rifles, as well the express sights and Whitworth marked pad. Not all of the big bore Whitworths had the front swivel on the barrel. The big bores were bedded in two places, the recoil lug and at the barrel underlug. There were some changes made along the way. Some have Whitworth stamped in a few places, some just a couple like mine, some only on the pad. Another change was the mag release moving from inside the trigger guard bow, to a side push affair in front of it. Express sights started with one fixed and two folding leaves, later with 3 folding leaves. It evolved.
OK thanks for the clarification. I guess my research was somewhat FLAWED. Mine has the side push affair and three folding leaves. Anyway, the gentleman has a FINE rifle and he is asking a very fair price with the scope rings and muzzle brake. I like the way the muzzle brake was installed without modification to the front sight. I don't have a brake on any of my rifles, but I don't have any rifle that recoils like a .458. My son has one on his .300 WM and it recoils like a .243 WIN., but it is LOUD! Thank you so much for your information!

Great pleasure.
BTW, .338WM is a great calibre. Have used it from long range desert to bush applications.
Currently loading .275gr Swift A frames at 2400fps which I use in the bush.
Personally I think it is a much better all round calibre than the .375H&H.
If you decide to pay us a visit then bring that and you .458. You probably wont get to use the .458, but its nice to have.
Thanks for your insight on this subject. I didn't know 275gr. bullets could be had in the .338? Good to know! Your right about the .458. I probably would never use it in Africa unless I hunted buffalo. BUT, I thought (and it probably seems silly to an African hunter like you) I could have a true African legend rifle and IF I never make it to Africa, I'll handload 350-400gr. bullets and hunt elk or maybe bison with it in Colorado. Most of the elk I've killed were within 50yds. anyway. Overkill? Yes (even on bison) but it would still be fun to hunt with. Thanks again!

I apologize for my earlier post on the subject of your rifle and Mark X vs. Whitworth. I was corrected by people with more knowledge on the subject than me. I guess my research was flawed. Anyway, you have a fine rifle at a fair price and I hope you can sell it soon!

Interarms Whitworth 458 Win Mag controlled round feed.
This is in great shape. Possibly unfired but I can’t be 100%. Has rings, bases and a muzzle brake. $900 plus $55 shipping to the lower 48.

View attachment 279404 View attachment 279405 View attachment 279406 View attachment 279407 View attachment 279408 View attachment 279441 View attachment 279420 View attachment 279421 View attachment 279422 View attachment 279423
Have you sold your rifle? If not, I would be interested. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg