For Sale Fixer Searcy Double In 500/416 NE

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
a few years back i purchased this rifle from its original owner for $11,000.00. unfortunately i found the rifle had trouble with damaging its spent brass. this hadnt been a problem or even worth noticing by the original owner since he didnt hand load but it was a problem for me. i sent the rifle back to Searcy who hung on to the rifle for 2 years before finally sending the rifle back to me... with more problems then i sent it to him with!

as it sits now the rifle is what id call a "fixer" or a gun in need of either repairs or perhaps a new set of barrels. im not willing to put any more money into this gun so im going to take a massive hit and part with the gun for cheap.

issues: the initial problem of the gun bending brass is still there however it does seem to be much less noticeable then it was before sending it back to Searcy. a new problem with the gun is that its ejectors no longer work. a load that was regulating before Searcy "reworked" the gun, no longer seems to regulate so i cannot guarantee regulation. lastly the gun does have some minor surface rust on the barrels thats so minor it doesnt show up in the pictures.

this gun is being sold "as is" for $6000 + S/H to a licensed FFL. the wood and action are beautiful and with some work this could be a fantastic double rifle. more pictures can be taken on request.

barrels are 24"
the gun weighs 10 lb 5 oz
LOP is 14 7/8"

P1000430.JPG
P1000431.JPG
P1000432.JPG
P1000433.JPG
P1000434.JPG
P1000436.JPG
P1000437.JPG
P1000438.JPG
P1000439.JPG
P1000440.JPG
P1000441.JPG
P1000442.JPG
P1000443.JPG
P1000445.JPG
P1000446.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful rifle! Too bad the company can't fix it.

They are a very famous/reputable company...why on earth couldn't they fix it for you?

Doesn't sound right...

i went through hell trying to get this gun fixed by Searcy, in the end i got screwed.

-matt

What did it do to the brass? Was it a sloppy chamber and was the brass not reloadable? Sounds like a great round for a double if the issues can be fixed.

Sorry for your trouble first of all.

FWIW: If it we’re me I would be on Searcy’s ass every day until he fixed the problem 100%! There is no excuse for it

Second, I wouldn’t buy it even for 6G’s. There’s so much wrong with the gun it could become a quagmire of repairs. Another set of barrels could be more than what your asking.

Why should you sell it for 6G and take such a big hit? Send it back to him and let him know that you will smear his name the best you can if he doesn’t.

You’re getting screwed and are taking it...I hate reading things like this!

You deserve to be treated better!

Just my 2Cents

Supercat

Do you know the whole story behind this rifle?

If so, please share.

Supercat

Do you know the whole story behind this rifle?

If so, please share.

No sir I do not and I am basing my comments on the OP's post....he is saying that he sent it back to Searcy who kept it for 2 years and did not fix it.

Do you know something the rest of us do not?

I am certain I do not know the whole story.

I am also pretty certain there is more to this story than what is in this thread.

I am certain I do not know the whole story.

I am also pretty certain there is more to this story than what is in this thread.

There very well could be BUT since we only have the OP's version of what happened, I gave him my 2 Cents based on that.

Too bad Butch Searcy himself isn't giving us HIS version.

nothing i can do but hope someone is willing to take on the challenge.

-matt

Aaron little does some amazing work. He might be able to make a new set of barrels for it.

Now let me tell my side of the story,
Matt sent the rifle to me at a time when I was going thru allot of medical issues.
Also I did fix the issue that the rifle was sent to me for. I also shot the rifle with the ammo he sent and it shot fine. He says he went thru hell for a couple of years. I also I went thru hell at the time, two knee surgeries, back surgery,
and a total hip replacement, and he new that.
Any issues he had with the rifle wasn't there when I sent it back to him.
I heard about this from a member on here.
Rest assured that I will not work on this rifle no matter who decide to buy it.
What do you think about that Supercat
Butch Searcy

Now let me tell my side of the story,
Matt sent the rifle to me at a time when I was going thru allot of medical issues.
Also I did fix the issue that the rifle was sent to me for. I also shot the rifle with the ammo he sent and it shot fine. He says he went thru hell for a couple of years. I also I went thru hell at the time, two knee surgeries, back surgery,
and a total hip replacement, and he new that.
Any issues he had with the rifle wasn't there when I sent it back to him.
I heard about this from a member on here.
Rest assured that I will not work on this rifle no matter who decide to buy it.
What do you think about that Supercat
Butch Searcy

I dont know about him, but I think its obnoxious and petty.

I think y’all need to think this through. USED double rifle with problems.
Maybe the lesson is, have a very knowledgable DR expert inspect the rifle before purchase. The onus is on the purchaser, especially on used DR’s.
If you buy a used Ruger M-77 and find out the barrel is shot out are you going to send it back to Ruger and demand they rebarrel it?
Come on guys, Butch’s only fault is agreeing to work on the rifle (for free!) at a time when he was undergoing multiple surgeries. Then Matt is unhappy he wants to charge him shipping.
This is MOST CERTAINLY not all on Butch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mchahine

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,