For Sale Duane Weibe Rifle In 460 Weatherby $15,000 OBO

She will remain a 460 WBY and be spitting 500gr of hellfire from her 26" barrel as originally intended.

Haven't been on here for a few years but would like to remind others that the bullet does the damage and follows the laws of physics regardless of history of any given caliber.
Something people ,especially those enamored by classic cartridges of yesteryear , ignore past results comparing new and old design projectiles. One constant rule aways applies, that is guns kick less with light bullets then heavy bullets. My Kimber Montana kicks considerably harder with 180 gr. full house loads than with 110 gr. loads. Same priciples apply all through cartridges up to 700 Nitro Express and beyond. If a 300 gr. is considered fine out of the 375 H&H then why not in the 378 and 460 ? More velocity,more barrel space to burn the powder and more bullet frontal area.
Last 5 years been playing with a 460 and 378 Weatherby to see how much energy transfer can be accomplished. 185 grain Lehigh in the 378. , 260 grain CEB in the 460. No affiliation with either maker. Look at what the potentials are today compared with old bullet design. You'll cheat only yourself if you dont. Results were dramatic on deer and I believe will create more noticable shock on other creatures as well.
In my old years, pain has been a constant companion so I wish as painless death as possible on any being that has the misfortune that gives me a shot.
I think it was said by Elmer Keith " I want to do all my hunting BEFORE the shot."
So much for 378 and 460 being undesirable, we are lucky to have them......

I am also a fan of the cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum, but unfortunately I don't understand exactly what you want to tell us with your Post.

Maybe It is about that for cartridges that cause a strong recoil one should use lighter bullets. The advantage of the cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum for example is, but among other things, to bring the heavy bullets of this caliber to higher speeds, with all ballistic benefits.

Not sure what Mr. Wiebe’s services run these days, but I’d be tempted to low-ball on the rifle if Duane would re-bore and rechamber the gun to a more desirable caliber, or swap out the barrel. That gun would have fetched $12k-$15k if it was a 500 Jeff or a 505 Gibbs.

Take note friends, love them or hate them, Weatherby calibers are a recipe for huge losses if you ever try to sell one.
curious your thoughts, on ie, (460 Weatherby) & bad resale, .. if you can.
always listening/learning from @rookhawk
Thank you.

@Ridge Runner may have diluted that ...

curious your thoughts, on ie, (460 Weatherby) & bad resale, .. if you can.
always listening/learning from @rookhawk
Thank you.

@Ridge Runner may have diluted that ...

Hi @Daniel Cary this is my firm opinion on a value/demand/liquidity angle of the topic. Please don't take that to mean I do not like these calibers or that people are dumb for owning them. This is just about supply/demand without emotion I'm discussing here.

The first category of price reducing calibers are the "big nasties". All the large bore weatherby, the capsticks, the Nyatis, Tyrannasaurs, the warbirds, the A-squares. They suffer a value hit because they have less appeal for several reasons including ammo availability, stiff recoil that everyone cannot tolerate, collectibility because they are more contemporary guns, etc.

The second category is the wildcat. Whether big or little, the wildcat or the nearly-a-wildcat rounds require a lot of tinkering from the buyer. These guns are deemed a headache by some of the market so their demand is less. 280AI is a good example where it is a wildcat, then the non-wildcat is incompatible with the original specs and is actually another round altogether, plus the weird old cartridges that end in vom hofe, schuler, etc, etc.

By all means, buy beautiful guns you like, especially if the price is right, but these are not liquid assets that can easily be sold to the next guy. I have a similar concern with lefty guns because only about 1/10th of 1% of the population wants them and there are a million versions: Lefty stocks with righty bots for eye dominance issues, true lefty actions on lefty stocks that some lefties don't like, central vision guns for people with no eye dominance, etc, etc. Finding an ass for every seat can be tricky with these types of guns. I've learned my lesson by speculating on such things and paying my "tuition" by buying things that people don't want that seemed too cheap. (e.g. I bought a pair of $20,000 shotguns for a pittance of $4000 because they were cast for central vision....couldn't sell them to save my life and that's why I don't buy "good deals" unless I actually want to own and cherish the gun. My greed for a deal bit me in the ass because I thought I was going to use them for barter and that was just dumb.

Fascinating to follow this thread over a couple of years. There's always a buyer for any item, eventually, and many factors come into play.: in this case, the caliber, front sling swivel placement, possibly stock design, length of barrel... An alternative might have been 450 Rigby ( successful new African D/G rifle?) for a rechamber; I have yet to cross-check chamber dimensions; this (might) have obviated the proposition to replace the barrel, maybe the most expensive part of a rebuild. That's all bye-the-bye now, a new owner, and a new life for it, congratulations are due...

So you found the rifle that was offered here a couple years back for sale currently? Was $15k here but now on gunsinternational at $7500...Wonder if the current ad is the original OP or is it his family or ???

Hmmmm??? Nice rifle and its currently at half of the original price but not sure if the $7500 is a decent buy on it or what they sell for typically? If it was a great deal it would have been gone already so not sure whats what on this one. Anybody have any more info on it?
Just my opinion but the Weatherby 460 is a brutal caliber. A friend of mine had one and just brutal in every way which is probably why even at half price people are not jumping on it. In pretty much any other caliber with this great gun maker this rifle would have been long gone

Just my opinion but the Weatherby 460 is a brutal caliber. A friend of mine had one and just brutal in every way which is probably why even at half price people are not jumping on it. In pretty much any other caliber with this great gun maker this rifle would have been long gone

I suppose you could handload it down to 2,300 fps and duplicate a Lott. Totally agree with the comments on value. It simply will not command the same price in this caliber.

the above comment that recoil is greater with heavy bullets than with lighter ones is in keeping with my comments on other threads about the change in balance point of a gun prior to the bullet leaving the barrel. as the bullet travels through the barrel the balance point of the gun moves forward. since it is a closed system the position of the balance remains the same, which is to say the gun moves back. A heavy bullet will cause a greater change than a light bullet and the duration of time of a fast bullet is less, which means the speed of the gun increases. this is why heavy bullets of high velocity result in more recoil. then after the bullet leaves the barrel there is the propulsion effects, but the system is no longer closed so a different set of variables are in play.

Shit, I’d buy it for that, to me it’s a no brainer…
My Best.
Jaco

“During my years of study on high velocity and killing power, I have come to one definite indisputable conclusion. Velocity plays the most important part in killing power.”—Roy Weatherby, “Killing Power,” The Gun Digest, 1951

Is this still available?

I'll start by saying I followed this rifle for quite some time. I called the gunshop once, and the length of pull (13 3/4") really put me off. I also couldn't wrap my head around the stock swivel stud, but in the back of my mind I kept thinking there is no way Duane would have done something illogical. A bit later I came up with a game plan to address the short LOP should I purchase it, more on that below. Then one day I saw all the traffic on here buzzing over the rifle.....on total impulse I called the shop and purchased.

The first thing I did upon receiving the rifle was follow through with my game plan and send the stock to Graco in Arkansas. They installed their Gracoil for rifle system, and what a professional and efficient job those guys did....highly recommended! Some purists might stick their noses up to this but I don't care....I've now got the perfect LOP for me in 14 3/4", a recoil reduction system, and it looks fantastic.

The swivel "stud" - it is actually not a stud at all. It's a plate, with two large screws attaching and screwed into the recoil lug. It is also sunk in a bit and has a nice rounded profile. Another thing to note here....the gun is massive, and the forend is definitely proportionate. I lined up three other big game rifles to the 460, action to action, and observed that the swivel placement of the 460, on the other rifles, would either be on the barrel or the forend cap. So long story short....my suspicion was correct....the design, shape, and placement of the swivel all make it a non issue.

My original plan of shooting 500gr took a backseat to 550gr NF SS and I have not looked back. I've got them going 2400 fps and it is scarey accurate. I won't go into group size because y'all won't believe me anyway haha. It is truly a hoot to shoot....the fit, weight, and Gracoil all make the recoil very manageable. 550's going 2400 fps and I have yet to see the "460 Boogeyman".

One last note - if anyone is ever curious as to why Duane Wiebe builds some of the finest rifles ever....first shoulder one, then take it apart. You will be blown away.

Awesome.....glad you love the rifle.

The 450 Dakota and 450 Rigby are essentially the 460 Wby with no belt and a traditional shoulder vs double radius.

So as has been said, simply load to Dakota or Rigby pressures and this rifle will be, as you have found, quite controllable.

Although the 550 at 2400 is pretty stout in itself! :)

It may be that the cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum caused for excitement around the sixties and then a lot of negative things were written. Unfortunately, for 50 years I have been reading the same thing over and over again that was originally written.

In the meantime, however, the loading of the cartridge has been optimized, better bullets are used and the scopes have an eye relief that prevents some injuries. The current factory loads are nowadays easier to shoot, and when reloaded is the cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum the best rifle cartridge caliber 45 there is. The cartridge keeps her promise when it comes to velocity, which is not always the case with cartridges like the 458 Lott and certainly not the 458 Win Mag.

Current factory load made in Germany.

IMG_0003 (5).jpeg

IMG_0004 (4).jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Veronica

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!