For Sale Duane Weibe Rifle In 460 Weatherby $15,000 OBO

mustbeme

Reaction score
Stunning Duane Weibe rifle completed in 1990. 460 Weatherby built on Dumoulin action and English Walnut stock. The peep sights are amazing and brings the eye right down on the bore as long as you can hold up this beast of a gun. Very robust action and barrel. The barrel profile is heavy and you can see the breech profile forward of the receiver face. Comes with original delivery letter. Offered at $15,000 OBO.
Not listed anywhere else at this time. I will re-photo and or disassemble for the serious inquiries. The barrel has an integral lug secured by the front swivel.

20191122_191350_2_zpstqdzexe8.jpg
20191122_205145_3_zpsb27cl8bs.jpg
20191122_190736_1_zpshusdbwbk.jpg
20191122_205200_4_zpsgpcytpw9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the great gunmakers of our time. Not my caliber, but what a magnificent rifle!

And one of the great actions of our time: Dumoulin Imperial Magnum. Not my caliber either.
Make mine a .416 Rigby for a general use rifle, or a .505 Gibbs for a "stopper" rifle.
Beautiful indeed, although I would have spec-ed a barrel band front swivel for this type of caliber...

This rifle is currently on the market. If you don't mind me asking mustbeme, what was that rifle like to shoot. LOP, recoil, etc. It seems like an interesting rifle, by a great maker.

Stunning Duane Weibe rifle completed in 1990. 460 Weatherby built on Dumoulin action and English Walnut stock. The peep sights are amazing and brings the eye right down on the bore as long as you can hold up this beast of a gun. Very robust action and barrel. The barrel profile is heavy and you can see the breech profile forward of the receiver face. Comes with original delivery letter. Offered at $15,000 OBO.
Not listed anywhere else at this time. I will re-photo and or disassemble for the serious inquiries. The barrel has an integral lug secured by the front swivel.

View attachment 315653 View attachment 315654 View attachment 315655 View attachment 315656
Beautiful rifle, by one of the best!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 8.11.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 8.11.10 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 148
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 8.11.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 8.11.11 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 139
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 8.11.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 8.11.13 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 126
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 8.11.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 8.11.14 AM.png
    735.9 KB · Views: 99
So you found the rifle that was offered here a couple years back for sale currently? Was $15k here but now on gunsinternational at $7500...Wonder if the current ad is the original OP or is it his family or ???

Hmmmm??? Nice rifle and its currently at half of the original price but not sure if the $7500 is a decent buy on it or what they sell for typically? If it was a great deal it would have been gone already so not sure whats what on this one. Anybody have any more info on it?

Last edited:
And one of the great actions of our time: Dumoulin Imperial Magnum. Not my caliber either.
Make mine a .416 Rigby for a general use rifle, or a .505 Gibbs for a "stopper" rifle.
Beautiful indeed, although I would have spec-ed a barrel band front swivel for this type of caliber...
Just like this Dumoulin 416 Rigby ?....

3DD51506-3A8B-4321-8654-1C06360BD94B.jpeg

So you found the rifle that was offered here a couple years back for sale currently? Was $15k here but now on gunsinternational at $7500...Wonder if the current ad is the original OP or is it his family or ???

Hmmmm??? Nice rifle and its currently at half of the original price but not sure if the $7500 is a decent buy on it or what they sell for typically? If it was a great deal it would have been gone already so not sure whats what on this one. Anybody have any more info on it?
As another member once described himself, I’m a “chronic gun looker”. I saw it and remembered it. It had been listed by the current seller at $9500 for a while. Not sure of the OP/current seller situation/relationship.

I suspect the main reason it has sat and dropped in price is it’s a 460 Weatherby. It is a nice rifle. As One Day said it really ought to have a sling stud on the barrel instead of the forearm.

Not sure what Mr. Wiebe’s services run these days, but I’d be tempted to low-ball on the rifle if Duane would re-bore and rechamber the gun to a more desirable caliber, or swap out the barrel. That gun would have fetched $12k-$15k if it was a 500 Jeff or a 505 Gibbs.

Take note friends, love them or hate them, Weatherby calibers are a recipe for huge losses if you ever try to sell one.

Take note friends, love them or hate them, Weatherby calibers are a recipe for huge losses if you ever try to sell one.

rookhawk with all due respect at one time I would have somewhat agreed with your comment. But into days world of various custom, semi custom, "wildcat", former "wildcat", cartridges, I would have to say Weatherby was ahead of their time when they first arrived on the firearms market with their firearms requiring Weatherby specific ammunition. Had other firearms manufacturers built their firearms using Weatherby calibers you would probably be making this statement about Winchester firearms.

IMO Weatherby fits right in with today's market.

Would you say the same thing about Ruger, Winchester, etc. because some of their rifle calibers are not the same as H&H or Rigby, or vice versa?

This holds for any firearm brand I buy; If or when I should buy a Weatherby rifle it will because of what it is and not for what it isn't.

I think the burden of proof lies the other direction. This rifle is made by one of the finest makers alive today. I’m sure it’s $20,000 or more to have this gun made by Duane right now. He’s maybe top-5 American custom rifle builder?

Yet here is a gun that started at $15,000 and now languishes at $6800 or best offer, consigned with a dealer taking 15-30%.

What’s wrong with it? The caliber. That’s why it doesn’t sell, even after a 60% markdown.

I would have advised the owner to change calibers as it would have sold for more than present asking price long ago.

not sure I understand your question or comment at the end about Ruger and winchester versus Rigby and Holland though.

Certain calibers command vast premiums due to demand or scarcity, others are pariahs that are hard to sell due to their solving a problem that doesn’t exist.

The good list: 375HH, 404J, 450-400, 416 Rigby, 500J, 505 gibbs.

the naughty list: dakota calibers, Ruger calibers, remington calibers, Weatherby calibers. Wildcats. Capstick. Overkill. Tyrannosaur. Warbird. A-square.

By all means, buy guns on the naughty list and enjoy them, just don’t plan on resale being a viable option for your or your estate.

Back to the rifle at hand, it’s a very nice weapon by a master maker and is worth every penny of original asking price based upon replacement cost.

I think the burden of proof lies the other direction. This rifle is made by one of the finest makers alive today. I’m sure it’s $20,000 or more to have this gun made by Duane right now. He’s maybe top-5 American custom rifle builder?

Yet here is a gun that started at $15,000 and now languishes at $6800 or best offer, consigned with a dealer taking 15-30%.

What’s wrong with it? The caliber. That’s why it doesn’t sell, even after a 60% markdown.

I would have advised the owner to change calibers as it would have sold for more than present asking price long ago.

not sure I understand your question or comment at the end about Ruger and winchester versus Rigby and Holland though.

Certain calibers command vast premiums due to demand or scarcity, others are pariahs that are hard to sell due to their solving a problem that doesn’t exist.

the naughty list: dakota calibers, Ruger calibers, remington calibers, Weatherby calibers. Wildcats. Capstick. Overkill. Tyrannosaur. Warbird. A-square.

By all means, buy guns on the naughty list and enjoy them, just don’t plan on resale being a viable option for your or your estate.

Back to the rifle at hand, it’s a very nice weapon by a master maker and is worth every penny of original asking price based upon replacement cost.
Shouldn't the .458 Lott be on the good list?

Shouldn't the .458 Lott be on the good list?

Nope. And I cannot explain why. Too new? Most of them are on mass produced or ugly guns? No clue. Wonderful cartridge and backwards compatible with winmag, just not a high demand caliber.

Nope. And I cannot explain why. Too new? Most of them are on mass produced or ugly guns? No clue. Wonderful cartridge and backwards compatible with winmag, just not a high demand caliber.
Now your making me feel "uncomfortable"? I need to find a safe place. I'm going down to my basement and stroke my ugly CZ 550 .458 Lott and maybe the .458WM too. Ha! Ha! Ha!

Your nice and naughty lists responses summarizes what I tried to briefly point out: manufacturer's specific odd rifle calibers, and firearm appearance.

I'll have to go back and refresh my memory on this, so I very well could be wrong. If I'm not mistaken the 460 Weatherby was designed to be the medium between the 416 and the 500 calibers. The 416 and 500 were and still are the classic Africa big game calibers, the 460 couldn't compete against.

For North American big game the 460 wasn't needed. The 30-06 being the most popular, with several other calibers not far behind, which a few have since taken over as the most popular (NA) caliber.

I could also be mistaken the timeline and by all means correct me, but wasn't the 458WM designed as Winchester's alternative to Weatherby's 460?

Apologies to the OP, I don't mean to distract from his post I just wanted to clarify that the 460 Weatherby is what it is and not a 416 Rigby, 500J, 505 Gibbs or any other caliber. The 460 just never made as an American competitive to the classic European Africa big game (DG) caliber.

Your nice and naughty lists responses summarizes what I tried to briefly point out: manufacturer's specific odd rifle calibers, and firearm appearance.

I'll have to go back and refresh my memory on this, so I very well could be wrong. If I'm not mistaken the 460 Weatherby was designed to be the medium between the 416 and the 500 calibers. The 416 and 500 were and still are the classic Africa big game calibers, the 460 couldn't compete against.

For North American big game the 460 wasn't needed. The 30-06 being the most popular, with several other calibers not far behind, which a few have since taken over as the most popular (NA) caliber.

I could also be mistaken the timeline and by all means correct me, but wasn't the 458WM designed as Winchester's alternative to Weatherby's 460?

Apologies to the OP, I don't mean to distract from his post I just wanted to clarify that the 460 Weatherby is what it is and not a 416 Rigby, 500J, 505 Gibbs or any other caliber. The 460 just never made as an American competitive to the classic European Africa big game (DG) caliber.
No, the .458WM came out in 1956, the .460 Weatherby in 1957. Ol' Roy always designed a faster cartridge than the current offering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg