For Sale Custom 416 Taylor On Remington 700 - Houston

So sad it's a push-feed, which may not save your life at the time of trouble! lol LOL (not reading all 11 pages above, i'm guessing it's not all "PM me, i'll take it!" LOL Good luck (in living and sales!) Love the Chatfield-Taylor, with much experience and success (Win 70). LOL

Rem 700s are like a bone-stock chevy. (They need all sorts of extramarket accessories to make them even work.) But, for DG, we'll take the CRF for starters!!! (Wasn't "Remington" bought and sold like 17x?) LOL coca-cola.

Put another way...It's a rather hot, dry-season day in Africa...you're after one of the big five...you (or someone in your 10K+ attaché) have your handy-dandy Rem 700 big bore gun...your PH gets you in close, you make a near-ok shot and that 0.5-7 ton beast comes your way (like Jesse Owens at the Olympics! ;) and Oh..it seems my cartridge case is stuck and i cannot fire again...what shall i do? You shall get stomped unless your PH is spot-on! ;) Why the sale??? Good luck! 'Just trying to preserve lives, as usual... If part of the swinging D club, safe queens' club, n/p. Anyone who makes a DG gun out of a varmint-plains game level action is not your friend. Mauser-Win-Ruger-BRNO/CZ-i know those DG guns!!!

Last edited:
CRF has NEVER failed me in any form, in 1/2 Century. FACTS. Anyone? lol I know Hathcock complained about it (w/ his Win 70!) LOLOLOL

Pls show me your Big 5/Dangerous 7 w/ your push-feed (w/ no PH assist)
and i will forgive you!!!

When a cartrige get stuck due high pressure or dirt in the chamber you are stuck it does take time most of the time CRF OR PUSH FEED. IT HAS HSPPENED TO ME BOTH WAYS.. YES CRF is preferred over push feed. Either way if cartrige is stuck the PH HAS TO HELP YOU. HUNTING IS NOT 100% SAFE WHEN HUNTING DG. MY 2 CENTS.

'Have had stuck cartridges in both (due to extremely hot weather and the resultant high pressures,) but test the guns (esp. DG rifles) in 90-100F weather (and reduce powder charges as necessary for those of us who hunt in colder climates) prior to heading to Africa (or TX!) Much less of an issue w/ CRF actions (positive extract) and have even had the Sako-type extractors (larger) installed on Rem bolts and the cartridges still got stuck. When after DG, I'd prefer every odd to be stacked in my favor, because even then it's far from a sure bet...

It hasn’t hiccuped once in the hot Texas sun. I even put the ammo out in the sun with the gun and had no issue.
What I have had issue with is CRF. So much more picky to me and god help you if you need to get a round on fast. Have to put in mag and then load...
Well, sounds great! Just don’t let those camo colors fade in the sun! Put the rifle in the shade! BTW, Monday was 93 degrees here, yesterday was 36 for the high and 3” of snow! Love it!

Well boys, we’ve come full circle on this epic classified thread. Time for Tarbe to post another rifle for sale here on the classifieds. A SPECIAL one!

Well boys, we’ve come full circle on this epic classified thread. Time for Tarbe to post another rifle for sale here on the classifieds. A SPECIAL one!
I say “no” because for some reason he has all the rifles I want and I end up buying the damned things. Not only did I get this rifle from him I ended up with a Savage 99 and a BLR. I also got the .257 bug bc of a rifle he had and now I’m having one built on a Remington action. B/c of the .300 Sav I got from him, I bought a safe mate in .250 Sav. I’ll never be able to afford to hunt at this rate. Lol

Stealing the FS ad from when I purchased this rifle during the past summer.

I have been a bad boy and my boss has slapped me around and asked me (lol) to move a gun or two to make up for all the stuff I have purchased recently (actually, I think she knows how much the BVC taxidermy bill is going to be!).

Ray Montgomery in Grand Junction, Colorado built this rifle in 2006.

Specifications are as follows:

Rem 700 Action, Trued by Ray, with custom shroud.
Shilen #5 Chrome Moly Barrel, cut to 22" with protected crown
Remington Trigger w/trigger job (trigger is crisp)
McMillan Sporter pattern stock - Dark Green/White, 13 11/16" LOP w/ 1" Decelerator
Williams Steel 1-Pc Bottom Metal
Action, barrel, and bottom metal matte blue finish by Ray
Caliber marking is very nicely engraved by Ray
Rifle weight with bases is 7.85 lbs. 9.15 lbs with 1-6x Trijicon mounted

I'll include a set of Hornady FL dies

I have only function fired this rifle (about 30 rounds...PO reportedly put about 100 through it). It is very comfortable and manageable. The Taylor is a very efficient cartridge with relatively low powder charges for the power level achieved.

$1,375 plus actual shipping and insurance, with dies and two piece scope bases. I also have 350 various Barnes, Nosler, North Fork and Speer bullets that are available to the buyer at a good price.

Rifle currently wears a Trijicon 1-6X Accupoint which could be included for an additional $800.

I ship from individual to FFL.

View attachment 310156 View attachment 310157 View attachment 310158 View attachment 310159

All in all, a pretty compact, powerful and sexy rifle.

Let me know if I left anything out. I have not accuracy tested the rifle, but the PO reports sub MOA with his favorite load. I only shot it at 50 yards and it stacks them at that range, as you might expect from a Shilen- barreled and trued M700.
Can we please talk

No worries I am trying to sell some now I just bought a gap in 338 lapua with S&B so I have to sell some

At some point we are all going to have to do a group hunt or at least have a beer at DSC to commiserate with @tarbe having the longest running rifle AD:A Camping:

Please don't change the color of that stock! It reminds me of the Ben Pearson Power Jet Bow I had when I was 12-13. I shot that bow every day for two years and it was like an extension of my arm.

As for African heat, most of us hunt in the cooler months when 85 degrees is about the most we'll see.

EA29CC10-E97C-4EE6-9FA6-0AD5C415164E.jpeg
Exit hole one white tail doe I shot today with the this beautiful green bowling ball of a rifle. 100 yard shot. She ran about 50 yards and thought maybe I missed. Then she turned her off shoulder to me and saw her pouring blood and new it was done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg