FN Mauser project

Keep it simple 338 win no bolt face work, no mag work, refinish stock & fit recoil pad just my opinion.
@NTX
DON'T listen to @rdog he is having a senior moment what he actually meant to say was the 358 Norma and I agree. A very much underrated cartridge capable of far more than the anaemic little 338 and very close to the venerable old 375H&H.
Bob.

@NTX
DON'T listen to @rdog he is having a senior moment what he actually meant to say was the 358 Norma and I agree. A very much underrated cartridge capable of far more than the anaemic little 338 and very close to the venerable old 375H&H.
Bob.
Gee Bob You certainly have a .35 obsession, get an other caliber & have a new love affair.

Gee Bob You certainly have a .35 obsession, get an other caliber & have a new love affair.
@rdog
I have learnt to keep it simple. That way I'm able to get projectiles in the hard times and the calibers I have chosen work on everything I plan on hunting even big mean short tempered critters like scrub bulls. Don't need anything bigger than the 35. If'n it can't handle the bigger stuff with a 310gn at 2,400++fps and over 4,000fpe I will give up hunting the bigger stuff.
Bob

I’ve done what you are trying to do.

Honest answer- You will spend more than the cost of a new rifle, end up with things that work but are quirky, and wait a year to get it only to find some critical part isn’t made anymore or isn’t in stock. You won’t be told this until the rifle is half built and your smith will try to offer an alternative. It won’t be what you want but it will at least get it done.

Go find a rifle that is already made how you want and buy it. It’s cheaper and better in the long run.

Honest answer- You will spend more than the cost of a new rifle, end up with things that work but are quirky, and wait a year to get it only to find some critical part isn’t made anymore or isn’t in stock. You won’t be told this until the rifle is half built and your smith will try to offer an alternative. It won’t be what you want but it will at least get it done.

Go find a rifle that is already made how you want and buy it. It’s cheaper and better in the long run.

I agree with the more expensive than buying a new rifle statement…

But not so sure I agree with the rest…

I’ve personally built 5 rifles off of Mauser actions… only one was “quirky”.. and that was because the builder (me) made mistakes (that were easily fixed once I figured things out)…

I’ve also commissioned a smith to build a 6th “custom” Mauser…

Never had issue with any of the builds in terms of finding the parts I wanted… never had an issue with needing to consider alternatives to anything I wanted to do, etc…

Between brownells, midway, numrich, and others there is a huge variety of components and options available at a wide variety of price points… and every major barrel maker in the US from ER Shaw to Shilen routinely makes Mauser barrels and almost always has several options in stock in terms of profiles, calibers, etc…

There are several smiths that work on Mauser actions, do things like magnum conversions, etc in the US… Shaw for example even features this service on their website..

More expensive than just going and buying a brand new Winchester 70 off the rack? Yep.. I completely agree (assuming you’re building your Mauser with quality components like a timney trigger, a good 3 position safety, etc)…

But wonky and/or not able to build what you want? My experience is very different than yours…

It’s currently still a 7 mag but the stock is refinished with a red pachmayr and the safety fitted. I’ll find a photo later. It’s unfortunately not going to make it to Africa with me next month, however.

Nothin' wrong with a 7mm Remington Magnum. Works for me.

I keep forgetting about this thread, but here’s the stock. I kept it simple to preserve the original look.
1A87C2F6-2F80-4DFA-85CB-CE690C5214DB.jpeg

Mausers have been made forever and will continue to be made forever. Nothing quirky about them. Parts will always be available.

My 404 Jeff build is coming along. Still waiting on the barrel. Just finished the roughed out stock and inletting the action. It has a 30-06 barrel on it now that will be swapped out. The new barrel has thicker contour so no worries about having taken out too much wood. Unfortunately, this stock was precut for trigger block safety. I'm going with two-position side lever safety for now. Will pick up a Model 70 style 3-position safety down the road when I have more funds available. I expect I will also go with nicer wood someday. The bottom metal is on the way from Blacburn-Swift. I will have to do some work to fit the wider box (416 Rem Mag). Yesterday I noticed the bolt shroud is cracked. No way can I install the safety lever kit in that condition. My African hunting buddy is a retired gunsmith. He has a new shroud and cocking piece in the mail to me. Someone buggered with the cocking piece, probably when fitting the action with trigger block safety (part of the front collar on bolt shroud was ground off to allow bolt clearance past trigger block safety). Rail was for FN Mauser (this one is Czech vz.24) and required significant modification to fit but it is stronger than rails for this design. Had to use a one piece base as that is what the receiver is tapped for. Tapping two new holes in rear bridge would be necessary for two piece bases and that would weaken it. I will undoubtedly need to do more carving on the base ejection/loading slot for big 404 cartridges. I could load up a dummy today and do that. Warne QD rings and red recoil pad are on the way. I will mount the old Weaver 3x retired from my Springfield a few years back. I bought a set of sights from 1990s Winchester Safari Express. Rear sight is fold down and adjustable all ways. Front sight is high long Williams hooded ramp with Fire Sight bead my Africa buddy gave me. Exact same setup is on my 30-06 Springfield. Lilja in Montana is making the barrel. Timney trigger is in. Old style without trigger block safety.

This gun will be a workhorse, not artwork. No checkering. Sling swivels in the wood. No fancy useless barrel band bullshit. I'll use the same sling that's on my Springfield. Detachable swivels are great. Can't carry more than one gun at a time. Since bases are same brand, I had hoped scopes on the two rifles could be swapped as needed. Unfortunately, the slots in rail are spread differently. Oh well. Just loosen back ring and adjust. Eye relief is the same so it would only require adjusting the zero.
20230518_184426.jpg
20230518_184235.jpg

Mausers have been made forever and will continue to be made forever. Nothing quirky about them. Parts will always be available.

That would be true if parts were interchangeable. Over the course of the last century, how many mausers were made by how many manufacturers at how many factories…

Parts aren’t available now for a lot of vintage rifles. A smith has to create them, try to heat treat…it takes years and is expensive.

@rdog
I have learnt to keep it simple. That way I'm able to get projectiles in the hard times and the calibers I have chosen work on everything I plan on hunting even big mean short tempered critters like scrub bulls. Don't need anything bigger than the 35. If'n it can't handle the bigger stuff with a 310gn at 2,400++fps and over 4,000fpe I will give up hunting the bigger stuff.
Bob
I was going to suggest 9.3X62, classic European/African caliber, with an amazing history; it's in your hands, Amigo...

If it in 7MM REM mag its bolt face is too big for 9.3x62 why not a 338 WIN or 416 Taylor no bolt or mag work required.
Yes, that won't work. Building a 404 Jeffery on a 7mm Rem magnum wouldn't be difficult. Requires opening the bolt face only 0.79mm. 338 Win magnum is not legal for dangerous game. Finding ammo or components for 416 Taylor might be challenging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!