Flying with KLM Airlines

Tristram

Reaction score
Has anyone flown with KLM Airlines recently?

I've booked a flight with KLM from London to Kilimanjaro International, connecting through Amsterdam. I've never flown with them before but I read in J Alain Smith's book that he has had several bad experiences with them. I am guessing though that these were quite a few years ago. My only other option is Ethiopian Airlines connecting through Addis Ababa.

Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Klm is the only airline servicing my tiny local airport 10 min from home so most of my flying has been done with them. My father travels a lot with work and uses them a lot as well and we're both very happy with them and their customer support when stuff happens. We used them to travel to Tanzania many years ago for a photo safari when I was six and they showed me around the cockpit when we landed so I like them.

Overall, I’m pretty happy with them but our last trip was a mess. While flying to Tanzania in September on check-in they initially didn’t allow me to check my firearm and ammo, stating there were no firearms on this flight. After showing them the restricted baggage on my booking, permits, and approval from KLM, they backed down. While connecting through Amsterdam, they left my luggage behind. When we landed in Dar, my name was on a long list of others who’s luggage was also left behind. I suspect they were overweight as there were a lot of us in the same boat and we had a long layover- no shortage of time to transfer. I spent three days in the same clothes and when my luggage finally arrived, TNZ customs seized my ammo because my rifle, ammo, and original import permit weren’t all together (long story there). That certainly threw a wrench in our safari.

I have been pleased with Ethiopian Airlines. In ADD Ethiopian will verify your rifle, but it’s easy and off you go.

Klm is the only airline servicing my tiny local airport 10 min from home so most of my flying has been done with them. My father travels a lot with work and uses them a lot as well and we're both very happy with them and their customer support when stuff happens. We used them to travel to Tanzania many years ago for a photo safari when I was six and they showed me around the cockpit when we landed so I like them.
Thanks for your reply. Have you travelled with firearms with KLM?

Overall, I’m pretty happy with them but our last trip was a mess. While flying to Tanzania in September on check-in they initially didn’t allow me to check my firearm and ammo, stating there were no firearms on this flight. After showing them the restricted baggage on my booking, permits, and approval from KLM, they backed down. While connecting through Amsterdam, they left my luggage behind. When we landed in Dar, my name was on a long list of others who’s luggage was also left behind. I suspect they were overweight as there were a lot of us in the same boat and we had a long layover- no shortage of time to transfer. I spent three days in the same clothes and when my luggage finally arrived, TNZ customs seized my ammo because my rifle, ammo, and original import permit weren’t all together (long story there). That certainly threw a wrench in our safari.
Thanks for this. That sounds pretty bad and definitely not what you want on a trip. I'm sorry that happened to you.

I have been pleased with Ethiopian Airlines. In ADD Ethiopian will verify your rifle, but it’s easy and off you go.
That's great to know. If you are just connecting through Ethiopia do you have to get a permit for there as well or just final destination?

Thanks for your reply. Have you travelled with firearms with KLM?
Not yet but I will in April and so far the booking process regarding the gun has gone very smooth at least.

I'm a 1M Diamond flyer on Delta (KLM partner airline) and still have nothing but trouble with KLM connections/flights in-out of Europe. All good until it isn't with KLM and then they're unreachable when it comes to lost luggage etc No way I'd trust them with a firearm. Like Air France, they're still learning what customer service means.

For Ethiopian Airlines you print a form off their website and fill it out prior to checking in. When you go to the ticket counter to check in you give them the signed form. You do not take possession of your firearm when you transit through. You only have to verify you own it.

I fly Delta from Atlanta and often connect through KLM. The food on KLM is better than Delta, in my opinion. I am less satisfied with both airlines than I was say 10 years ago. The whole flying experience has changed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarenHood3

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.