AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, WSF
Hunted
Azerbaijan, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Turkey, Argentina, South Africa, Australia, UK, Hungary, Scotland, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Estonia, Czech Republic, France
Hello all! I'm a first time bow hunter, haven't fired a bow at an animal in my life. I'm looking forward to using my bow for the first time in Africa. Please share with me your opinion of my setup:

BOW: PSE Stinger 3G 70#
DRAW LENGTH: 28 inches
TOTAL ARROW WEIGHT: 405 grains
SPEED: 275.6 fps
MOMENTUM: 0.495
KINETIC ENERGY: 68.24
BROADHEAD: G5 Montec, 100 grains
ARROW: Beman ICS Bow hunter, 9.3 GPI, 340. (I could also use Gold Tip Hunter XT, 8.9 GPI, 340, but will loose 11.2 grains. )
*I'll be mainly hunting Big Warthogs and if i get the opportunity on a nice old Bushbuck.

20160508_172228.jpg

20160508_172220.jpg

Your set up should do find for those animals but if you decide to go after bigger animals I would try and get a heavier arrow. The best arrow i have found is easton fmj can go to there 400 or 340 series and gain some grains.

This key to bow hunting is practice and then practice some more. Believe it or not learning to shoot out to 50 yds or so will make you a better shooter at those 2o and 30 yd shots you will be taking. Since you maybe stalking and hunting out of blinds make sure you practice shooting from you knees. It is a whole different issue when drawing from your knees and you will want to practice that.

The broadhead your using is not bad but I would say try some slicktricks as they are the best bang for the buck in my mind. Sharp blades right out of the package and you can buy extra blades. Nothing beats a good sharp head as that is what does the damage.

Good luck on taking your first bow kill as it is hard to beat the thrill you get from it.

Last edited:
You're absolutely right Bhfs300, no shooting at more than 30 yards! I guess I must get some Easton arrows and broadheads, i'm shipping most of the equipment from the U.S. Bow Hunting is not very popular where i come from, there are very limited archery supplies here. But I'm practicing a lot. Here are some pictures of 10, 15 and 20 meters groups (10.936, 16.4 and 21.87 Yards). Will post pictures about closer and longer groups soon. Thanks for your insights!

10 meters (10.9 yards)
10 meters.jpg

15 meters (16.4 yards)
15 meters.jpg

20 meters (21.87 yards)
20 meters.jpg

Last edited:
That is some good shooting. Make sure you do take a few shoots with broadheads also as your bow may shot them a little different then field points.

When do you go on your trip?

do yourself a favor and it might help save on the pocket book, don't worry about grouping with archery equipment, pick the target, go for each corner, work on a cross pattern. While robin hooding is something that looks great and something to brag about, it just cost you $20 - $40
The goal is always to hit what you are aiming for

Have to agree with dobber about the robin hood, just had one the other day after making a bet with my daughter...I won the bet, but it cost me....two arrow are now trash.

As for your set up, you should be good to go. If you are shooting groups like you are now, I would not worry about making changes to you gear. Now its time to practice more and more, then use the broadheads to make sure you point of impact does not change.

There are many set-ups out there that would work and many opinions on speed vs. arrow weight vs. accuracy. Find the one that works with you and stick with it. I support accuracy and SHARP fixed broadheads over speed and weight. The have been many animals taken with "primitive" bows that shoot arrows a heck of a lot slower and lighter then you are shooting now.

Shoot at a distance you feel comfortable and let Africa decide the rest !
Good luck and Play safe !
Glen
DONT FORGET THE PICTURES !

You may also want to get some practice time at a 3D range. This may help with shooting at animals and their vital zones from different angles. Some pro shops have video shoots at animals as well. Animals are different than square targets and bags. Do what you can to mix it up.

You don't need to change anything with your shooting if you get your broadheads grouping close to what you have in your pictures. I took a warthog with a similar set up. 73 lb bow, 450 grain arrow/ broadhead.
I was shooting from an elevated blind. Arrow passed through pig, hit ground and ricocheted straight up in the air. No issue with penetration on the two animals you are after

Good luck!

Your setup will be completely fine for those animals. I wouldn't go lighter on the arrows if you decide to change shafts, I would go heavier. The Montecs will work just as fine as well. Good luck and shoot straight.

As per Lee M advice, definitely start shooting at 3D targets to get used to shooting by picking a spot on an animal, totally different than aiming at a dot. Also practice holding for up to 2 minutes then taking a shot, see how the accuracy does as the long holds happen a lot when hunting.
Your set up will work just fine, I had a 435 grain arrow at 295 ft/sec with DRT broadheads, shot 9 animals in Africa, pass throughs on most, eland included.
Shot placement is key, check out the book - the Perfect Shot, great intel on African game.

Those are some good groups and your setup should work just fine. personally i like to shoot arrows that are a bit heavier in the 500+gr region. just make sure that you don't hit any heavy bone when you hunt and you will be fine.....and try and limit your shot on that warthog to less than 30m.

My setup shoots around 300fps and I've had many warthog string jump me past 30 meters

Hello all! I'm a first time bow hunter, haven't fired a bow at an animal in my life. I'm looking forward to using my bow for the first time in Africa. Please share with me your opinion of my setup:

ARROW: Beman ICS Bow hunter, 9.3 GPI, 340. (I could also use Gold Tip Hunter XT, 8.9 GPI, 340, but will loose 11.2 grains. )
*I'll be mainly hunting Big Warthogs and if i get the opportunity on a nice old Bushbuck.

View attachment 150434

View attachment 150430

Nothing wrong with your kit...all ok!

I myself never used the Montec's, but my son (16 years) does and his bringing the "bacon" home. I do like the slick tricks...and yes, keep under 30 yards, 20-25 is perfect!

That is some good shooting. Make sure you do take a few shoots with broadheads also as your bow may shot them a little different then field points.

When do you go on your trip?

I agree with billc looks like good shooting to me!

There is no need to change a thing but if you decide you want to go after bigger animals I would add some weight to your arrows and the fmj are an easier way to do that.My fmj 340 are 11.3 grains per inch so you would gain 42 grains just with going to a fmj. They shoot as good as any carbon arrow. I would say just get a few if you can to try and make the call on what you like.
The montec is a great head but one you need to sharpen over time or after using them. I myself stink at sharping stuff so slick tricks work because I just change blades. They are also hands down one of the best flying heads out on the market.

I can tell you for just starting out your shooting is very good to great already. Now it is just learning when you can draw on an animal and finding the sweet spot on each animal when you let that arrow go. Have a great trip and keep practicing.

View attachment 150434

View attachment 150430

The set up is perfect! From my experience I'd go to a 'cut to the front' broadhead with 2 cutting edges. 125gr. They create less drag through flesh and bone.
On african animals shoot further forward (than you would on US animals like Deer) as the heart lungs are situated directly above the front leg on a broadside shot. You're good to go!

I would suggest to start shootings broadheads only and number your arrows to establish a consistent pattern with your arrows. Write down every shot taken and the distance. I would buy 3 dozen arrows and start hunting. Go on a couple of hog hunts before you leave for Africa and most importantly have fun!

1 essential thing to add to your hunting setup is lighted nocks, these are invaluable is seeing how your arrows are flying and where you exactly the arrow hit on the animal, also helps if you are videoing your hunts.

I think your setup is fine, maybe some extra grains in the arrow could help. As broadheads, try the VPAs if you can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip889

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois