First time out with new .375 H&H

I'm against using a lead sled. I just feel it's good practice to use proper shooting form 100% of the time and if it takes more bullets to site in I'm fine with it.

I'm against using a lead sled. I just feel it's good practice to use proper shooting form 100% of the time and if it takes more bullets to site in I'm fine with it.

I am against them too but I want to get thoughts on my reasons.
I have shooting rests but not a sled. I use a PAST type of pad as well. I considered buying a sled but heard these were very hard of rifle stocks & actions - almost like holding the butt of the rifle against a concrete wall and shooting. Thoughts on this?

Also, for the users of a sled: does your point of impact change much if you zero using your sled and then shoot from the shoulder using a traditional bipod or tripod rest?

For zeroing I have no problem shooting the M 70 .375 off of a bench, but 12 to 14 rounds is all I can stand. For the .416 Rigby or .458 Win mag, I only shoot in the standing position but try to have a partial support to my forearm (not the rifle forearm) leaning into a 4x4 or 6x6 roof support post in concrete. With either the .416 or .458 I am only good for 5 rounds max. I have never used shooting sticks so far, but will in the future.

Also, for the users of a sled: does your point of impact change much if you zero using your sled and then shoot from the shoulder using a traditional bipod or tripod rest?

I did find there was a difference for me by 2+ inches at times and that was without the big kickers, so I switched. Plus it just didn't feel natural using a lead sled for me, I didn't care for it.

I think the lead sled is for load development, to check grouping and that is it for me. You certainly are not going to learn how to shoot using one.

I am in agreement with Red Leg. I sight in all my rifles of my lead sled and I love it. Whenever I go on a hunting trip I always go to the range and recheck my zero of my sled. Really does work very well. I just bought a 375 Ruger which I have not sighted in yet for my upcoming first trip to Africa ( wow can't wait) and you can bet I will most definitely use the sled. Velo dog you said you like the 300 RN. Would you recommend that for eland, kudu, waterbuck? Although my hunt is for leopard if we get the time or chance I will try to shoot those animals also. Since I have not sighted in yet I was curious on which ammo the forum would suggest. I will be shooting a 300 wsm for leopard.

Too be honest for a leopard you could TSX,TTSX, accubonds, Swift-Aframe, and even a core-lokt to me would knock him dead.

Too be honest for a leopard you could TSX,TTSX, accubonds, Swift-Aframe, and even a core-lokt to me would knock him dead.
Yes..Thank you. I was referring to which ammo would be best for the 375 Ruger. 270 or 3oo RN

I would always do with the heavier bullet, for me it would be 300 grain.

I think 350 grain bullets are too heavy, but 300 grain are heavenly for the game you are hunting.

I agree. The 270 grain might be too hot.

I am in agreement with Red Leg. I sight in all my rifles of my lead sled and I love it. Whenever I go on a hunting trip I always go to the range and recheck my zero of my sled. Really does work very well. I just bought a 375 Ruger which I have not sighted in yet for my upcoming first trip to Africa ( wow can't wait) and you can bet I will most definitely use the sled. Velo dog you said you like the 300 RN. Would you recommend that for eland, kudu, waterbuck? Although my hunt is for leopard if we get the time or chance I will try to shoot those animals also. Since I have not sighted in yet I was curious on which ammo the forum would suggest. I will be shooting a 300 wsm for leopard.

Hi Johnnyblues,

Excellent question.
Your PH is the best person to answer this question but, myself being a hyper-active motormouth and all, thanks for asking it here.
(Leave it to me to give detailed instructions on how to build a clock when, somebody only asks, "What time is it"?)

The short answer is yes and no, because old fashioned soft core bullets must not be driven at too high of velocity, lest they shatter on heavy bone (eland / waterbuck - shoulder / brisket) and thereby fail to penetrate far enough.
This of course becomes extremely important as you go up the body weight scale of game animals.
Also consider how tenacious of life a particular species is (such as waterbuck) combined with said body weight.
It might be needless to say that if your largest intended animal was to be kudu, then pretty much any 300 gr bullet at whatever speed your .375 is capable of driving them at would very likely work fine.
Kudu are not built like eland, waterbok, zebra and some others - as those are built rather stumpy and "block" shaped, whereas kudu (although not small at all), are somewhat tall and thin for their 600 or more pounds.

From the get go, my roaring success with the 300 gr RN bullet in .375 H&H has been at 2400 fps MV and at that, it has worked very well and will continue to work very well.
At that tame speed, I would not hesitate to shoot all PG, (except giraffe) with the 300 gr round nose Hornady or Woodleigh round nose, either brand (it's not a round nose but the Nosler Partition has also been a fantastic performer for me at 2400 fps as well).
I've never shot a leopard but I am willing to presume that load with RNSP or NP (which is a semi-spitzer in 300 gr / .375 diameter) would be a fine leopard (and lion probably) load, based on all that I have read and heard tell from those who have shot them with various calibers and bullets.

However, I understand that the Ruger version of the .375 shoots 300 gr bullets around 2650 fps with factory loaded ammunition ?
At 250 fps faster than what I have shot my critters at, with the excellent Hornady .375 caliber / 300 gr RNSP bullet, I really do not know if it would hold together on HEAVY animals or not, especially at the typical closer ranges found over most of the Southern African countries.
I do guess that it would hold together but if I were you, I'd want something more than just some old fart's guess.
At the price of a wounded and lost animal, not to mention having to live with the fact that you inflicted suffering and failed to end it, who wants to count on Velo Dog's best guess - I would not want to.

Likewise, I know I am the odd duck, and most Hand-Loaders would sooner bash their heads against their loading bench than to load even the old H&H version down to 2400 fps, not to mention the faster Ruger version.
So .... for "normal" velocities, to shoot larger animals, the 300 gr Hndy RN is not exactly what I would recommend to the "normal" hand loader/plains game hunter.

That being said, the experiences of myself and the several people I know who also hunt with the .375 H&H, here in Alaska, Africa as well, seems to strongly indicate that the good old Nosler Partition is probably a slightly better bullet for larger animals, especially if you load above about 2400 fps.
And, the Swift A-Frame is even so much the better (same basic design but bonded cores to the jacket/very tough bullet at all practical velocities, including the Weatherby line and Rem Ultra Magnums of today).

As my favorite PH (Hannes Swanepoel) likes to say about the .375 H&H loaded with 300 gr bullets: "The Nosler Partition is too soft for Buffalo but one of the best Plains Game bullets".
Also: "However, the Swift A-Frame will do them all very well." (or words to that affect).
Incidentally, Hannes uses the 300 gr RNSP in his Brno .375 H&H for most of his personal hunting when this cartridge is appropriate and also loads it to 2400 fps (birds of a feather).

My parting shot is:
As much as eland, waterbuck and such permits costs these days, why use a cheap bullet?
However, if you must - as long as you load them to around 2400 fps, the RNSP will work fine and the're usually shockingly accurate in most rifles as well (one reason that I keep using them).
Presuming that you bought the Ruger version so that you could drive bullets a bit faster than the H&H version, I'd say, you should get busy shooting either Nosler Partitions or Swift A-Frames from your .375 Ruger, in hopes that they will be accurate.
Whichever one of the two is most accurate in your rifle, then there is your bullet for all PG, from eland to duiker.
If they both shoot about the same, then I'd say the A-Frame is best (primarily due to the size of eland).

Cheerio,
Velo Dog.

Holy $#&% colorado!!!! If you did that without developing a flinch you are a better man than I am!!!! Wow....

And I am with Phil on the PAST pad. They are great and really make a big difference. I've gotten over trying to be a tough guy and use one on the bench if I'm going to be shooting more than a few rounds.

No flinch, but I did give myself a few weeks and did a bunch of dry firing before I shot it again. I definitely use the lead sled with 35 lbs of weight on it for load development and initial sight in. I use a PAST recoil pad sewn into my shooting vest without the sled for final sight in. Other than that I don't use the sled, but shoot offhand, with no issues. We use the sled for our 375 and 416 for load development and initial sight in as well, nothing else.

So two days after the "incident" it actually looked worse, my wife made me go to see Doctor Walton who was an absolutely fabulous GP who I've had for years. He looked at me drily and said "Now which end of the rifle did this again?"

Hi Johnnyblues,

Excellent question.
Your PH is the best person to answer this question but, myself being a hyper-active motormouth and all, thanks for asking it here.
(Leave it to me to give detailed instructions on how to build a clock when, somebody only asks, "What time is it"?)

The short answer is yes and no, because old fashioned soft core bullets must not be driven at too high of velocity, lest they shatter on heavy bone (eland / waterbuck - shoulder / brisket) and thereby fail to penetrate far enough.
This of course becomes extremely important as you go up the body weight scale of game animals.
Also consider how tenacious of life a particular species is (such as waterbuck) combined with said body weight.
It might be needless to say that if your largest intended animal was to be kudu, then pretty much any 300 gr bullet at whatever speed your .375 is capable of driving them at would very likely work fine.
Kudu are not built like eland, waterbok, zebra and some others - as those are built rather stumpy and "block" shaped, whereas kudu (although not small at all), are somewhat tall and thin for their 600 or more pounds.

From the get go, my roaring success with the 300 gr RN bullet in .375 H&H has been at 2400 fps MV and at that, it has worked very well and will continue to work very well.
At that tame speed, I would not hesitate to shoot all PG, (except giraffe) with the 300 gr round nose Hornady or Woodleigh round nose, either brand (it's not a round nose but the Nosler Partition has also been a fantastic performer for me at 2400 fps as well).
I've never shot a leopard but I am willing to presume that load with RNSP or NP (which is a semi-spitzer in 300 gr / .375 diameter) would be a fine leopard (and lion probably) load, based on all that I have read and heard tell from those who have shot them with various calibers and bullets.

However, I understand that the Ruger version of the .375 shoots 300 gr bullets around 2650 fps with factory loaded ammunition ?
At 250 fps faster than what I have shot my critters at, with the excellent Hornady .375 caliber / 300 gr RNSP bullet, I really do not know if it would hold together on HEAVY animals or not, especially at the typical closer ranges found over most of the Southern African countries.
I do guess that it would hold together but if I were you, I'd want something more than just some old fart's guess.
At the price of a wounded and lost animal, not to mention having to live with the fact that you inflicted suffering and failed to end it, who wants to count on Velo Dog's best guess - I would not want to.

Likewise, I know I am the odd duck, and most Hand-Loaders would sooner bash their heads against their loading bench than to load even the old H&H version down to 2400 fps, not to mention the faster Ruger version.
So .... for "normal" velocities, to shoot larger animals, the 300 gr Hndy RN is not exactly what I would recommend to the "normal" hand loader/plains game hunter.

That being said, the experiences of myself and the several people I know who also hunt with the .375 H&H, here in Alaska, Africa as well, seems to strongly indicate that the good old Nosler Partition is probably a slightly better bullet for larger animals, especially if you load above about 2400 fps.
And, the Swift A-Frame is even so much the better (same basic design but bonded cores to the jacket/very tough bullet at all practical velocities, including the Weatherby line and Rem Ultra Magnums of today).

As my favorite PH (Hannes Swanepoel) likes to say about the .375 H&H loaded with 300 gr bullets: "The Nosler Partition is too soft for Buffalo but one of the best Plains Game bullets".
Also: "However, the Swift A-Frame will do them all very well." (or words to that affect).
Incidentally, Hannes uses the 300 gr RNSP in his Brno .375 H&H for most of his personal hunting when this cartridge is appropriate and also loads it to 2400 fps (birds of a feather).

My parting shot is:
As much as eland, waterbuck and such permits costs these days, why use a cheap bullet?
However, if you must - as long as you load them to around 2400 fps, the RNSP will work fine and the're usually shockingly accurate in most rifles as well (one reason that I keep using them).
Presuming that you bought the Ruger version so that you could drive bullets a bit faster than the H&H version, I'd say, you should get busy shooting either Nosler Partitions or Swift A-Frames from your .375 Ruger, in hopes that they will be accurate.
Whichever one of the two is most accurate in your rifle, then there is your bullet for all PG, from eland to duiker.
If they both shoot about the same, then I'd say the A-Frame is best (primarily due to the size of eland).

Cheerio,
Velo Dog.
Velo, thank you for that detailed message..Wheeew....lol. Seriously I appreciate the thoughts. I do not reload so I think my best all around choice for the plains game I described is going to be the Horandy 270 gr bullet . If I was going on say a lion hunt then I believe from what I have read my first shot should be with a RN due to the tremendous amount of static energy that will deliver backed up by solids. I would think on buffalo I would go strictly with solids, but since I am not hunting anything like that right now (hopefully in the future) as said I ll sight in with the 270 grain. It's interesting to note I asked basically asked the same question for leopard for which I will use my 300wsm I asked 18o barnes tsx or noslers? I of course was told both are excellent but PH from Lake safaris strongly favored the Noslers. I know the Tsx will kill it dead but as we all know it's about shot placement.

My PH had me load my 375 H&H with Soft in the chamber, Soft in top of magazine and then solids below that in the magazine for buffalo. The Federal TBBC 300 grain soft held together great on the buff with full penetration to the off shoulder and maintained close to 100% - down with one shot: to your point about shot placement. Never used the solid other than to tear paper. Looking at the ballistic chart it appears that the softs are loaded at 2400 fps and the solids at 2440.

Velo, thank you for that detailed message..Wheeew....lol. Seriously I appreciate the thoughts. I do not reload so I think my best all around choice for the plains game I described is going to be the Horandy 270 gr bullet . If I was going on say a lion hunt then I believe from what I have read my first shot should be with a RN due to the tremendous amount of static energy that will deliver backed up by solids. I would think on buffalo I would go strictly with solids, but since I am not hunting anything like that right now (hopefully in the future) as said I ll sight in with the 270 grain. It's interesting to note I asked basically asked the same question for leopard for which I will use my 300wsm I asked 18o barnes tsx or noslers? I of course was told both are excellent but PH from Lake safaris strongly favored the Noslers. I know the Tsx will kill it dead but as we all know it's about shot placement.

No worries Johnnyblues,

Sorry about the long ramble but, I think it was the "vitamin G" that made me type so long.
It could not possibly have been MY fault.

You are wise to listen to whichever PH you've booked with.
In this case, I'd say that after all is said and done, since you plan to use the Hndy 270 gr bullet for PG, then I would just use it for leopard as well but, it is not my safari.
I only like to bring one rifle and one bullet weight / load per hunting trip.
At any rate, no doubt you will let the air out of everything you shoot with it.

Regarding the .30 bullets for leopard, some PHs do not care for monolithic types for cat hunting.
Copper is considerably harder than lead, plus the TSX you mention is very pointed.
These two factors seem to suggest it might be a bit deep into the kitty prior to expansion (sometimes they do not expand at all but at your .300 Magnum velocity, my guess is that it probably would expand very well).

A soft lead core bullet usually will expand violently at .300 magnum speed, almost as soon as it "tastes cat hair".
My dos centavos worth is that with softs, the round nosers (flat nose as well) are already half expanded or "mushroomed" before they are packed into boxes at the factory, and I find comfort in that.

I'm typing too much, even without the gin factor this morning.

Kind regards,
Velo Dog.

Thanks again....Think I will re zero my 300wsm with a box of Noslers for the cat. Seems to be the opinion of most . My gun is a semi custom which was developed with Federal 300wsm Barnes tsx ammo, shoots sub zero with that ammo. Guess I ll just makes notes on the adjustments made for the Noslers so I can quickly re zero back.

I use a life jacket to sight in some of the bigger guns. The one inch padding simulates heavier clothes I wear while hunting.

All along I thought I was the world's smartest man.
(The fact that I'm a security guard totally proves this.)
However, I never thought of the life jacket idea.
It is one that I plan to try.
Thanks for posting it.

Thanks for the replies all! I've been at the SHOT show all week and haven't been checking the site. Good info!

Congrats on the .375 H&H!

Mine is in a Browning Stainless A-Bolt that I picked up for very little money. The person before me had torn the gold bead off the front sight and must have found it to be too much rifle for them.

I have a 3-9X Leupold on her and while not a tack driver, shoots between 1 to 1 1/2MOA. Bedding will most likely help as would taking 3-4" off the barrel. However, she shoots plenty fine with 270s and 300s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois