First safari booked!

After years of being a member on this forum and attending many DSC conventions I have finally put the money down on my first Africa trip! I have booked with Jamy Traut safari in Namibia. I plan to hunt kudu, gemsbok, zebra, and Red hartebeast and maybe whatever else I see that I want. Me and the wife are going may 10 for a 10 day hunt. I will be taking my 300 win mag and also my 375 HH. I know both rifles are not needed but a H&H must see Africa and I have sentimental value to the 300 win so both are going! Thank you to everyone who have answered many questions I have had other the past few months! So I will be flying atl-joburg then overnite there at a hotel then off to Namibia the next day. Question is what is a close hotel that’s nice and safe to the joburg airport that we can stay in that nite? Thanks for the info!
With the wife I’d recommend the Intercontinental Hotel which is just across the street from the terminal. If your budget is tight then stay at City Lodge which is attached to the airport. They are both great, convenient places to stay with good food and comfortable rooms. I find it a nice experience to rest for the night then off to the next destination. I just don’t like super early am flights after that long trip though!
Great to hear about the guns you are taking. You’ve got that all set!
Sounds like you have a great plan for your first Safari.
Regards,
Philip

Congrats on your upcoming hunt. On your question about overnight lodging, City Lodge is the simplest, easiest and probably safest place to stay plus you get a nice breakfast. Have stayed there four times and Afton House once, would not stay there again. The B&Bs are, from my perspective, too much of a hassle versus the City Lodge. One had security issues with a break-in while hunters were there.
You are right that after a long flight City Lodge is simple and comfortable.,

Travis it was great meeting and talking to you in Dallas and great to hear that all is in order for your trip. As others have said the next few months will be almost as exciting as the trip itself. The planning and the anticipation of trip is the closest you’ll ever come to reliving your childhood and waiting on Christmas.

Enjoy my friend and make sure to share your memories when you get back.

BD

Congrats on booking!

If you are on your own overnight, the City Lodge is the best as others have said. It's connected to the airport for a no worries stay. If your flight is really early next morning then you may miss their breakfast which is TOP RATE! Good luck!

Travis it was great meeting and talking to you in Dallas and great to hear that all is in order for your trip. As others have said the next few months will be almost as exciting as the trip itself. The planning and the anticipation of trip is the closest you’ll ever come to reliving your childhood and waiting on Christmas.

Enjoy my friend and make sure to share your memories when you get back.

BD

It was great to meet you also! Thanks for all of the questions you were able to answer for me!

Hi,

Congrats on booking your first trip.
Great option to stay overnight at JNB I recommend everybody to plan it that way when coming in with the DL200.

I’ve used Intercontinental a few times when the DL200 has been delayed and the flights to the next destination are gone. As I write this I sit in a room at the very same hotel for the above reasons.

The rooms are clean, large and comfortable. The access literally across the street from the Airport exit is great. It costs a bit, but for me it is worth it.
My wife prefers this hotel as well rather than hassle with shuttles etc around Johannesburg.

Good luck

//Gus

After years of being a member on this forum and attending many DSC conventions I have finally put the money down on my first Africa trip! I have booked with Jamy Traut safari in Namibia. I plan to hunt kudu, gemsbok, zebra, and Red hartebeast and maybe whatever else I see that I want. Me and the wife are going may 10 for a 10 day hunt. I will be taking my 300 win mag and also my 375 HH. I know both rifles are not needed but a H&H must see Africa and I have sentimental value to the 300 win so both are going! Thank you to everyone who have answered many questions I have had other the past few months! So I will be flying atl-joburg then overnite there at a hotel then off to Namibia the next day. Question is what is a close hotel that’s nice and safe to the joburg airport that we can stay in that nite? Thanks for the info!
Travis2282
Enjoy the planning process. Have FUN since the planning forms an important part of the safari.
We recommend you consider the AFTON HOUSE for your accommodation establishment.
Namibia is calling...before you know it, you board the plane.

Sounds like you have a great trip planned. I really like your choice of rifles. I've stayed at the Afton House and would do so again. Although the other lodging mentioned in previous posts on this thread are probably more convenient. To avoid any problems with your firearms, I recommend you contact https://www.africahunting.com/members/riflepermits-com.21291. Henry makes sure that your dealings with SAPS are a non event. ENJOY!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrieneRun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois