Albert GRANT

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Canada, Ireland
I may have jumped the gun a bit, and I hope it doesn't end up biting me in the backside, but I couldn't wait til 2017 and ended up booking with Wikus at Game 4 Africa safaris for end of august this year! I picked up about 350 hrs of OT at work over the next 5 months to pull it off, and as long as they don't decide to stop it I will be all set. Already booked my flight from jfk to joburg direct on south african. Wikus gave me a great deal and I will be going after kudu, nyala, waterbuck, blackwildebeest, impala, and if I can afford it and time permits add on a bushbuck. We will also be doing a day at Addo, which after watching some videos I am equally as excited about as the hunt. Now 5mo seems like a long wait! Glad I didn't book for 2017, may not have been able to take it!

Exciting times for the first safari! Congrats and enjoy!

Super cool.... Good for you man! All that OT will make you appreciate it even more I bet.

Congratulations Albert! I wish you the best of time on your hunt.

Albert you are going to have a blast! Now the five month wait will seem like it's 2017 when the hunt is going to happen but .......Your going to Africa man!

Super cool.... Good for you man! All that OT will make you appreciate it even more I bet.
It sure will! Couldnt do that much OT without something like this driving it.

So I have the deposit in, my flight booked, already have my passport, just got set up with global rescue for the time I'm there. Anything else big I'm forgetting that should be done right away? I wont need anything other than my passport and drivers license, correct?

Just passport!

I hope your tail stays tooth free.

Nothing like impulse control issues and hunting in Africa.

To that end, you had best save a few more bucks and take the Bushbuck while you are there.

Have fun.

Does anybody know if I can have my recurve bow packed in my luggage or does it have to be in a case of it's own?

Albert, congratulations! I promise you that my daughter and I will save you a few critters on your wish list. Will give a hunt report in early June from our hunt with Game 4 Africa.

You asked about other "must haves" or long lead items. I guess it's not a requirement for you, since you are coming from the US, but you might think about a shot record. I've worked in West Africa (Angola and Nigeria) for about 10 years and they are on the yellow fever list, so I need a shot record in hand wherever I go.

375 Ruger Fan,
Please keep in touch with me, as I would love to hear about how your experience there is. Pics would be cool too if you are willing. What are you going after?

Looks like a exciting list! Enjoy the next five months, the planning and tinckering is half the fun!

So I have the deposit in, my flight booked, already have my passport, just got set up with global rescue for the time I'm there. Anything else big I'm forgetting that should be done right away? I wont need anything other than my passport and drivers license, correct?

Check into the meet and greet in Joberg. Also, start thinking about gun permits. Your rifle will need to be taken to a customs office and registered to obtain a 4457 permit.

375 Ruger Fan,
Please keep in touch with me, as I would love to hear about how your experience there is. Pics would be cool too if you are willing. What are you going after?

Aaron: Will do, plan to share lots of photos with the hunt report. Cape Kudu is at the top of our list, then Nyala and maybe Eland. After that, we're sort of open minded. Wikus has tempted me with a good deal on a Sable, but we'll have to play that one by ear. With my daughter and I hunting for 10 days, the trophy fees and taxidermist bill is going to add up. The Sable might be a budget buster that has to wait for awhile.

Dave
375 Ruger Fan

Dave,
I hear ya on that! Sable would be awesome though. Good luck, will be excited to hear about it!

Spend at much time at the range as possible especially considering all of that upcoming overtime for work.

Check into the meet and greet in Joberg. Also, start thinking about gun permits. Your rifle will need to be taken to a customs office and registered to obtain a 4457 permit.
I won't have to deal with all that as I'm not bringing a rifle, I will be using one of theirs. I am bringing my recurve bow though, hoping to get an opportunity with that. I have a direct flight to joburg from here but will be continuing on to port Elizabeth from there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnaEichel0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.