First range trip .375 Zastava

Nice looking setup!
JMT on that particular bullet, but I wouldn’t load them any faster than the 375 Win which they were designed for. It would make a good practice load, or maybe thick country short range deer load.
Oh you have some fun times waiting getting your new toy all set up and ready to go! Enjoy!

Nice looking setup!
JMT on that particular bullet, but I wouldn’t load them any faster than the 375 Win which they were designed for. It would make a good practice load, or maybe thick country short range deer load.
Oh you have some fun times waiting getting your new toy all set up and ready to go! Enjoy!

That is kind of what I'm aiming for, most of my shots on game are within fifty yards and a lot have been closer then that.

Skinnersblade, given both Governmental and self imposed restrictions I suggest you invite AH members to give you their "Pet" loads for 375 H&H. Determine which one works best for you and then order the components. At first in limited amounts i.e. 1 lb. cans of powder and 50 bullets. If your gun "likes" the load order in bulk so that you will always have some inventory available. Where we can order from a number of national suppliers and get things in a couple of days or overnight providing we want to cover the additional shipping costs. You can not. Sometimes there is a scarcity of components and you don't want to be caught short. The 375 H&H cut its bones on 300 Gn. bullets, I'd start there.

Skinnersblade, given both Governmental and self imposed restrictions I suggest you invite AH members to give you their "Pet" loads for 375 H&H. Determine which one works best for you and then order the components. At first in limited amounts i.e. 1 lb. cans of powder and 50 bullets. If your gun "likes" the load order in bulk so that you will always have some inventory available. Where we can order from a number of national suppliers and get things in a couple of days or overnight providing we want to cover the additional shipping costs. You can not. Sometimes there is a scarcity of components and you don't want to be caught short. The 375 H&H cut its bones on 300 Gn. bullets, I'd start there.

That is an excellent idea, I plan to stock up components as soon as I find a good working load.

I use H-414 under 270 and 300 gr A-Frames. The 270 gr A-Frame accounted for a lot of bear when we lived in Alaska, both black and brown.

I like 414 too. Very accurate in my rifle. I’ve switched to IMR 4350 behind 300s because that’s what I use in 30-06.

Honestly, I’ve never tried anything else. The first load I tried shot 1/2” groups with H-414. This held true with 270, 300 and 350 gr bullets. I’m sure other powders would work just as well, I’ve just never had a need to try.

That first outing looks fine BTW. :) I don't see any quirks in that rifle based on the shape and size of that group.

Use a chronograph if you have one or can borrow one. I do like the suggestion about loads that are right at 100% load density- which means the bullet base is sitting on the powder but not compressing it. The common powders available now along with the design of the 375 itself seem to lend themselves to that 100% load density combination. I think the 375 HH is a nice ballistic fit with the 300 gr bullet or vice versa. The 270 monolithic is more or less equivalent to a 300 gr cup and core.

I do notice that the Swift A Frame does show pressure earlier than some "softer" regular cup and cores out there. So if using cup and core data for A Frame loading reduce the start loads by 5-10% and work up. I have had really good, consistent results and low standard deviations using Reloader 19, IMR 4350, Varget and H 4831 SC in the 375 HH with 270 and 300 gr bullets. In the past I have used some H414 and had good results in cartridges like the 375 but currently only have about 1/4 lb of it. Last I bought I think was in 1969 or about when Hodgdon first re-packed it and put it on the market. For the past few years I've tried to stay with temperature insensitive powders like the Hodgdon Extreme family. My lowest SD load has been with Reloader 19, but for serious DG ammo I'd probably go with either Varget or H 4831 SC because both are considered temperature insensitive. With a 300 gr bullet- I think a velocity goal for reliable, serious hunting ammo would be in the 2400 to no more than 2500 fps range. My rifle seems to like most any 300 gr load in that 2400 to 2500 fps range with most any of the medium burn powders.

Last edited:
Skinnersblade, I'm still developing my 375 H&H load. Not because of the powder or bullet but rather because of issues with the rifle or scope and coronavirus directives by my Governor. Once the ranges near me are opened I'll be heading out with one or more of my 375(s) and a LabRadar unit. I reload a lot of different calibers, and prefer to use a powder that works in as many different ones as possible. I also use QuickLoad to simulate possible outcomes. Even though it may not be optimal, for me that powder is H4350.

I expedited my load development because of my governor.
77.5 grains of StaBall pushes a 285 at I don't know how fast, but it's golden at 50 yards with irons and pretty good with my 2.5x Leupold holding about an inch and change high.

I have a BRNO 602 in 375H&H.
For varmint hunting (groundhogs) and target shooting I used Hornady 220grFP, 66.5gr's of IMR3031 & CCI 250 primers. Groups were 1/2 at 100yds, 2" at 200yds and 4" at 300yds. Muzzle velocity was 2770fps.

Hornady 270gr bullets, 68gr's IMR 3031, CCI 250 primers had decent accuracy. Most accurate was with 77.7gr's of IMR 4350, CCI 250 primers. Groups averaged 1/2" at 100yds. Velocity was around 2600fps.

Hornady 300gr RN (both soft points and FMJ's) did really well in the accuracy dept. What worked well was 76.4gr's of IMR 4350, CCI 250 primers. Groups averaged 1"

Sierra 350gr Spitzers's: Haven't played with them much. I'm sure this load could offer more promise. Load was 75.0gr's H4350, WLRMP. Groups was 1.1" at 100yds.
With all loads I used WW cases.

Congratulations on the magnificent shooting with your new .375 Holland & Holland magnum calibre Zastava Model 70 bolt rifle , Skinnersblade . Have you ( till now ) had the opportunity to run 300 grain bullets through your rifle ?

Congratulations on the magnificent shooting with your new .375 Holland & Holland magnum calibre Zastava Model 70 bolt rifle , Skinnersblade . Have you ( till now ) had the opportunity to run 300 grain bullets through your rifle ?

Not as of yet major the only box I could find were 270 grain federals. I have ordered reloading dies and will try different loads as soon as they come.

Not as of yet major the only box I could find were 270 grain federals. I have ordered reloading dies and will try different loads as soon as they come.
Here is a tip ( Tell me how it goes ) .
Source some 300 grain Prvi Partizan brand cartridges and report the results back to me . I have a feeling that you shall be impressed . Trust me .

Here is a tip ( Tell me how it goes ) .
Source some 300 grain Prvi Partizan brand cartridges and report the results back to me . I have a feeling that you shall be impressed . Trust me .

Thank you for your advice I will attempt to sorce some although I have been having trouble sorcing any ammunition during the pandemic.

Thank you for your advice I will attempt to sorce some although I have been having trouble sorcing any ammunition during the pandemic.
Skinnersblade, try Tradeexcanada, they carry Prvi Partisan for most calibers. I use their 7x57 Mauser, 9.3x62 and .375 H&H Mag stuff for range work and am very happy with it.
They will more than likely have a set of reloading dies as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois